Hyper-V reports: The operation on computer 'localhost' failed. - Cannot manage VM's. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have two Windows 2008 x64 servers, running Hyper-V.  I have about 15 VM's on each server.  I manage the VM's all through the Hyper-V Manager.  When I try to connect to Hyper-V Manager and manage my VM's I get "Connecting to Virtual Machine Management Service."  This times out after a few minutes and then the Hyper-V Manager displays:  The operation on computer 'localhost' failed.

This happens about 2-3 weeks after a reboot.  The only fix I have found is to reboot the server, but since these are production servers this is kind of a pain.

• Changed type Vincent Hu Thursday, December 10, 2009 2:38 AM
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 7:46 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Did you mean you work on a client computer(such as Windows Vista) had Hyper-V Manager tools installed, and then connected to the remote Hyper-V computer?

If so, please help me to collect the following information:

1.    Did you client computer and the Hyper-V computes in workgroup or in a domain?

2.    Did you have the same issue on both Hyper-V computers?

Hyper-V Management Tools available for Vista SP1

http://blogs.msdn.com/virtual_pc_guy/archive/2008/03/25/hyper-v-management-tools-available-for-vista-sp1.aspx

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

• Marked as answer by Vincent Hu Friday, December 18, 2009 6:40 AM
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 6:51 AM
  • Hello,

I don't think you answered this person's question.  I have a similar situation.  I have 3 Hyper-V hosts, all Dell 2950's with 16GB RAM and running Server 2008 with latest service packs and fixes.  Each has 10-15 VMs on it and is running at about 70% physical memory utilization.  All servers are running as stand-alone servers in a workgroup.  We manage these machines using RDP to the server desktop and then use the Hyper-V Management Console on the server.

As the person above mentioned, after some period of time (typically 1-2 weeks for us) after a reboot of the host server, we can no longer connect to the local Hyper-V server, receiving "The operation on computer 'localhost' failed".  The number of days the server has been running before this failure varies, and it varies from server to server.

If I try to restart the Hyper-V Virtual Machine Management Service, it fails with: Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

Rebooting the server always resolves this, but these are production servers and we really shouldn't need to reboot them weekly (or more often).

I realize I can try to set up a remote Vista or Win7 machine to manage these servers, but the servers are in a secure facility behind a firewall and I prefer to not open up additional access through the firewall to them.

Thanks for any help or insight.

Terry

Monday, June 28, 2010 4:59 PM
  • Hi guys

Same situation was observed by me and Server reboot was only solution worked. But when restarting Protected Storage and Secure Socket Tunneling Protocol Service, Hyper-V Manager again show all Virtual Machines. Its just how my situation is temporary solved > until hotfix will be available.

Dejan

Sunday, July 18, 2010 2:56 PM
  • Hi,

any change now ? I did not find right hotfix.

I can not restart Secure Socket Tunneling Protocol Service, error 1052. Only reboot server help.

Monday, August 23, 2010 12:53 PM
  • I'm running the same issue in two servers. Restarting the server resolves the problem for 1 or 2 weeks, after that I get again the "The operation on computer 'localhost' failed" message. I dont find any solution for this issue
    Tuesday, November 9, 2010 10:28 AM
  • I have this problem on my server as well. I tried to connect VM server with both local and remote Hyper-V Manager.

Unfortuneately, it displayed "Connecting to Virtual Machine Management Service."  Then displayed "The operation on computer 'localhost' failed." after few minutes.

How can I check and fix this problem without restarting the server?

Friday, November 12, 2010 10:44 AM
  • Yes, its quite annoying to have to restart the server and all VMs because of this issue. One thing to notice, after this error happens we can't connect using Hyper-V Manager on the local server or from a remote server.
    Friday, November 12, 2010 10:52 AM
  • I just suffered this same issue and logging off completely all open RDP sessions to the host server, then logging back on allowed me to instantly open up hyper-v manager and see the VM's rather than the '..operation failed..' message above.
    • Proposed as answer by Tadej Bajc Thursday, May 7, 2015 12:24 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Tadej Bajc Thursday, May 7, 2015 12:24 PM
    • Proposed as answer by George Spiceland Thursday, December 17, 2015 3:04 AM
    Monday, December 13, 2010 7:15 PM
  • I have experienced the same problems with Hyper-V Manager failing to load.

I only have 4 VM's running on a dell 2950 windows server 2008 r2 x64 all service packs installed.

I have 32 gb's memory which is typically 80-95% free and about 400gb free on the hard drive.

On a few occassions, including today, I have logged onto the remote server to find that the Hyper-V Manager says it can't load because 'something' ran out of memory or hard drive space.  Neither of those reasons is possible.  However, trying to restart the hyper-v services, restart hyper-v manager fails and while the vm's continue to run, I lose all connectivity through Hyper-V Manager, until I reboot the server.  Then it works again, for awhile.  Like the others this is a big problem because these VM's are production machines that cannot be rebooted during normal business hours.  I see this problem and thread has now gone on for over a year.   Has Microsoft issued a fix for this and if not, when is Microsoft going to get this issue resolved?

Thanks,

Rick

Rick
    Sunday, December 19, 2010 6:13 PM
  • Hi all,

I found the following solution on the other site:

<cite>I had this issue once, restarting the "Windows Management Instrumentation" (along with all the dependent services) on the Hyper-V server solved it for me. Didn't need to restart the Hyper-V server. </cite>

It worked for me as well.

Regards,

Radek

Wednesday, December 29, 2010 9:39 AM
  • Thanks for the workaround.

I'll try it next time.

Rick

Rick
    Wednesday, December 29, 2010 2:31 PM
  • Thanks for the workaround just had the problem today !

Koen

Thursday, March 10, 2011 9:13 AM
  •  

<cite>I had this issue once, restarting the "Windows Management Instrumentation" (along with all the dependent services) on the Hyper-V server solved it for me. Didn't need to restart the Hyper-V server. </cite>

Thanks,   This  worked for me as well.  (John F)

Friday, July 29, 2011 2:02 PM
  • Yes the WMI workaround does the trick. I have to do this every couple of hours though.

I would still like to know where this suddenly came from.

Alain.
    • Edited by Alainke2 Friday, September 9, 2011 11:26 AM
    Friday, September 9, 2011 11:22 AM
  • It doesn't work for me..... Is there a solution or a hotfix for this issue?

Vik

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 4:56 PM
  • Thx for trying, but this didn't work for me.  I'm ready to reboot.  This is the first time I've had this trouble; I hope it doesn't reoccur every couple of weeks.
    Tuesday, February 5, 2013 2:33 PM
  • Hi all,

<cite>I had this issue once, restarting the "Windows Management Instrumentation" (along with all the dependent services) on the Hyper-V server solved it for me. Didn't need to restart the Hyper-V server. </cite>

Regards,

Radek

For me a quicker solutions worked.

I only restarted the "Windows Remote Management (WS-Management)" service.

No other services depend on this service, so no Hyper-V services will be restarted.
    I manage the Hyper-V host remotely with Remote Server Admin Tools.

• Proposed as answer by Glenn.G Monday, June 3, 2013 7:26 AM
    Monday, June 3, 2013 7:26 AM
  • This worked for me. Thanks for the tip.
    Wednesday, January 8, 2014 8:12 PM
  • Hi all,

Regards,

Radek

Had this problem on a Server 2012R2 host, restarting Windows Management Instrumentation solved my problem as well. Thanks.

Mike Lewis

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 4:29 PM
  • I'm having the same issue connecting from Win7 Hyper-V Manager to Server 2012 R2 Hyper-V Core. I have not been able to resolve it. I am able to RDP fine, restarting WMI or Windows Remote Management service does not allow me to connect. Have Hyper-V Manager version 6.1.7601.17514, I'll go looking for a newer version for Win7 as well. Any additional help is very much appreciated.
    Tuesday, February 11, 2014 4:31 AM
  • I have the same problem: connecting from Win7 Hyper-V Manager to Server 2012 R2 Hyper-V Core. Could you find solution for this problem?
    Sunday, February 16, 2014 8:43 AM
  • Im also having this exact same issue, trying to connect to newly installed Hyper-V R2 server from Windows 7 through hyper V manager gives same error of the operation failed.
    Monday, February 24, 2014 4:37 PM
  • Just to give an answer for others looking. It does not appear that RSAT for Windows 7 can manage Windows 2012 servers.

Remote Server Administration Tools for Windows 7 includes Server Manager for managing roles and features on a computer that is running either the full or Server Core installation options of Windows Server 2008 R2.

Which is from here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee449467(v=ws.10).aspx

Also on the download page (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=7887) it also lists supported server OS and Windows 2012 does not feature on that list.

Craig.

Wednesday, April 2, 2014 8:23 AM
  • Hi!

This is true, RSAT for Windows 7 can't manage Windows 2012 servers.

I found the solution to this issue: vtUtilities ( vtutilities.com )

This tool manages all versions of Windows Server (WinServ 2008R2/2012/2012R2 ) from Windows 7 and/or Windows 8

Wednesday, April 2, 2014 2:33 PM
  • This worked!
    Friday, November 28, 2014 10:53 AM
  • Thanks for info

Regards,

Enis

Saturday, November 29, 2014 9:32 PM
  • Fantastic worked for me too just starting WMI service this issue was really bothering me  Dont know why Microsoft has not found a solution to it yet as I am running the Server 2012
    Tuesday, May 5, 2015 6:32 PM
  • Just happen to me on Win 2012 R2 with Hyper V.

To fix localhost failed when try to see the VMs on an Hyper V host (without restart host):

-       1.- restart the "Windows Management Instrumentation" (along with all the dependent services)

-        2.- Or restart the "Windows Remote Management (WS-Management)" service.

When service is stopped, Double check that is NOT running on task manager. Sometimes Hyper-V Virtual Machine Management is hung or stopping.

If vmms.exe runs, click and END TASK:

Then service should stop, you can start it again, and you will see all your VMs in Hyper V Manager as normal.

Thursday, July 27, 2017 3:14 PM