none
Unable to start replicated virtual machine. Key protector could not be unwrapped RRS feed

• Question

• I have 2 virtual machines that are replicating to another Hyper-V host.  One machine works and starts up fine and seems to run fine, but if I try to start my other VM it immediately come up with the error "the application encountered an error while attempting to change the state of 'server'.  'Server' failed to start.  'Server' could not initialize.  The key protector could not be unwrapped. Details are included in the HostGuardianService-Client event log.

In the details section it does say local certificates not found : signing Count = 0, encrypt = 0

I am not encrypting the drives of the hyper visor or the VMs that are running below it and I am not using shielded machines.  Any help would  be great.  Thanks

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 12:13 AM

All replies

• Hi ,

Please refer to the following steps:

1.First check the hyper-V-VMMS and hyper-V-Worker event log to see if there's any information about why the VM failed to start.

2.On the hyper-v host, please check if it is patched with the latest windows updates, if not, please path the latest updates.

3.Also check if there's any third-party applications running on the hyper V host, if yes, please turn them off and start the VM again.

4. Restart the Hyper-V Virtual Machine Management service and then check again.

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 8:30 AM
  • Hi ,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.                   

Best Regards,

Candy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Thursday, July 18, 2019 8:49 AM
  • I hope to install the updates today and I will report back on what I find.  The one Hyper-V server does not have the July update applied yet and I will check the logs.
    Thursday, July 18, 2019 1:36 PM
  • Hi ,

I will wait for your good news.

Best Regards,

Candy

Friday, July 19, 2019 2:09 AM
  • The same programs are on both hypervisors.  One VM is replicating fine and will fail over fine.  The other VM I have on the machine is the one that doesn't start.  After running updates, It still happens and besides the error I mentioned in my original post (the one that pops up on the screen when trying to fail over or test the fail over) these are the other errors I found.

under Hyper-v-vmms
    admin
    event 1550
    Server - Test' failed to start worker process: Generic failure (0x80041001). (Virtual machine ID XXXXXd56-D53A-44B7-9E5F-6F7xxxxxxxx)

event 15130
    'Server - Test' failed to start.
    (Virtual machine ID XXXXXd56-D53A-44B7-9E5F-6F7xxxxxxxx)

And then under Hyper-v-worker
    admin

Event 21118 - The key protector for the virtual machine 'server - Test' could not be unwrapped. Local certificates not found : signingCount = 0, encryptCount = 0. Details are included in the HostGuardianService-Client event log. Generic failure (0x80041001). (Virtual machine ID XXXXXd56-D53A-44B7-9E5F-6F7xxxxxxxx)

event 3040 - 'server - Test' could not initialize. (Virtual machine ID XXXXXd56-D53A-44B7-9E5F-6F7xxxxxxxx)

I appreciate the help with this.  Thank you for your time.

Friday, July 19, 2019 2:40 AM