ntfs permissions - loggin on and logging off RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a question in regards to ntfs permissions on a shared drive.  I was told that if you set the ntfs permissions on a shared drive a user needs to logon and logoff before being allowed to use those resources.  However, I have not found this to be true.  On a shared drive I can set deny permissions on a folder and the user is immediately not allowed to access that folder.  No logging on or off is required.  Likewise, if I then allow that user permission to that file or folder that user is allowed access.  Again, no logging on or off is required.  So I'm wondering if the sys admin. I was talking to was incorrect or if something is amiss on my network.  TIA.

Roger
    Monday, July 28, 2008 1:14 PM

Answers

• Most Systems administrators use Security groups to provide access to shares and folders.
    Group membership is stored in a security token, which is created at log on. So when you add a useraccount to a group this change is only applied when the user logs on again. (logging off is required when the user is logged on on a certain computer while you make the change and wants to be able to access the resources on the same computer)

When you add a user account by name to a share or folder the colleague with the useraccount doesn't need to log on / log off to gain access.
    • Marked as answer by rdagostin Monday, July 28, 2008 4:55 PM
    Monday, July 28, 2008 2:57 PM