none
Windows 7 Backup to Flash Drive

Question

• I would like to set up Windows 7 backup to a USB Flash drive, but Windows 7 backup does not show the drive. There are 6 gigs of space on the drive and I'm only trying to back up a few folders, not a system image. The drive is formatted as FAT32, which apparently is compatible. From the documentation, it should work.
    Wednesday, August 24, 2011 5:35 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If you still not solve the problem, nevertheless, the issue related to win7,so I suggest you post the thread to win7 forum, that’s the best place for your dilemma.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/w7itpro 

Best Regards, 

Jeff Ren

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, September 02, 2011 7:00 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please note the following from Windows backup help content.

1. To save a backup on a flash drive, it must be able to hold more than 1 GB

2. You can't save a system image on a flash drive

Which backup wizard are you using? If you are using "Select a system image" option, you may not be able to see the flash drive due to reason 2.

How to Back up Onto a Flash Drive

Thanks,

Jeff

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 2:42 AM
  • Read what I wrote: I have 6 gigs of free space on the flash drive and I've set Windows backup to back up several folders, not the system image. Still Windows backup does not show the flash drive as an option.
    Friday, August 26, 2011 4:43 PM
  • If you are only limited to 6GB of space. I would consider using Windows 7's built-in feature called Windows Easy Transfer. It's a simple application that would take a snapshot of folders you select (using the Advanced feature) and will allow you to transfer it to another workstation (desktop/notebook) at any time.

You can access the Easy Transfer app by navigating to Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> Windows Easy Transfer. Once the application is open you click next to begin the process and then choose An External Hard Disk or USB Flash Drive. Choose the This Is My Old Computer option and then it will scan all of the profiles associated with your operating system. From this point, choose only the profile in which you want to "backup" by marking the checkboxes, and hit Customize and Advanced. This will allow you to select custom directories in which you want to create a backup of.

Though, this is not a way to backup an entire system image as stated. I use this feature a lot myself when I want to backup/transfer data from one source to another. 

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Saturday, August 27, 2011 12:13 AM
  • I really would like to use the Windows 7 backup. I was hoping someone from Microsoft could tell me why the application is not seeing my flash drive.
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 2:40 AM
  • Hi,

If you still not solve the problem, nevertheless, the issue related to win7,so I suggest you post the thread to win7 forum, that’s the best place for your dilemma.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/w7itpro 

Best Regards, 

Jeff Ren

Friday, September 02, 2011 7:00 AM