none
DFS-R sysvol test failures

Question

• Hello, our domain is windows 2008 functionality level and SYSVOL replication successfully moved to DFSR.
    We never renamed domain name or any DC name, DNS is AD integrated.

Migration status:
    C:\>dfsrmig /getglobalstate
    Current DFSR global state: 'Eliminated'
    Succeeded.

C:\>dfsrmig /getmigrationstate
    All Domain Controllers have migrated successfully to Global state ('Eliminated').
    Migration has reached a consistent state on all Domain Controllers.
    Succeeded.

First two servers (server1, server2) has SYSVOL shared from 'C:\Windows\SYSVOL_DFSR\domain' folder and the next two (server3, server4) from 'C:\Windows\SYSVOL\domain' (promoted after migration).

Our problems:
    1) from DFS Management snap-in I can run Propagation test and report only for first two servers (Propagation server: server1 or server2) with 2 errors result:
    Error: Member server3.domain.com : Cannot open test file on the member. The network path was not found.
    Error: Member server4.domain.com : Cannot open test file on the member. The network path was not found.

For server3 and server4 couldn't run, because:
    Replication group Domain System Volume, replicated folder SYSVOL Share on member server3.domain.com: A new propagation test file cannot be created. Cannot open propagation test folder under replicated folder. The network path was not found.

In DFS Management snap-in first two servers has SYSVOL Share path (Local path on member) 'C:\Windows\SYSVOL_DFSR\domain' but both failing servers '\\?\C:\Windows\SYSVOL\domain'.

Why these symbols '\\?\C:' instead of 'C:'?

2) when checking DFSR replication for all DC servers with DfsrAdmin ( command: DfsrAdmin Health New /RgName:”Domain System Volume” /RefMemName:server* /RepName:C:\DFSReports\HealthReport-cmd01.html /FsCount:true ) everytime I got this failure:
    Failed:
    A parameter was expected, but System Volume" /RefMemName:server* /RepName:C:\DFSReports\Heal
    thReport-cmd01.html /FsCount:true was found. The syntax order was not specified correctly.

What's wrong?
    • Edited by lukval Wednesday, July 8, 2009 10:32 AM
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 10:29 AM

Answers

• Hello lukval,

The propagation test fails because of unnecessary string "\\?\" stored along with the path in AD database. This is causing the propagation test to fail.

However, there is nothing wrong with the replica and if you check the AD replica, the test files dropped successfully will be replicated to all the DFS members. This is because DFSR can handle paths with \\?\ which is used to represent long paths.

There is a workaround: remove \\?\ from the root path in AD metadata

1. Launch ADSI Edit on domain controller

2. Connect to Default naming context

3. Expand and navigate to the node

CN=SYSVOL Subscription,CN=Domain System Volume, CN=DFSR-LocalSettings, CN=<DC NAME>, OU=Domain Controllers, DC=<domainname>, DC=com

The root path is stored in the msDFSR-RootPath attribute of the msDFSR-Subscription object, please change the path from “\\?\C:\Windows\SYSVOL\domain” to "C:\Windows\SYSVOL\domain"  (i.e just remove \\?\ from the path) for all effected Domain Controllers object with ADSI Edit.

4. Then you may launch the DFS management console to check if the path of Domain System Volume shows as  “C:\Windows\SYSVOL\domain"

Afterwards, you may test and to see if it helps.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Proposed as answer by David Shen Monday, July 13, 2009 8:37 AM
    • Marked as answer by David Shen Monday, July 13, 2009 1:48 PM
    Friday, July 10, 2009 11:56 AM

All replies

• Hello lukval,

The propagation test fails because of unnecessary string "\\?\" stored along with the path in AD database. This is causing the propagation test to fail.

However, there is nothing wrong with the replica and if you check the AD replica, the test files dropped successfully will be replicated to all the DFS members. This is because DFSR can handle paths with \\?\ which is used to represent long paths.

There is a workaround: remove \\?\ from the root path in AD metadata

1. Launch ADSI Edit on domain controller

2. Connect to Default naming context

3. Expand and navigate to the node

CN=SYSVOL Subscription,CN=Domain System Volume, CN=DFSR-LocalSettings, CN=<DC NAME>, OU=Domain Controllers, DC=<domainname>, DC=com

The root path is stored in the msDFSR-RootPath attribute of the msDFSR-Subscription object, please change the path from “\\?\C:\Windows\SYSVOL\domain” to "C:\Windows\SYSVOL\domain"  (i.e just remove \\?\ from the path) for all effected Domain Controllers object with ADSI Edit.

4. Then you may launch the DFS management console to check if the path of Domain System Volume shows as  “C:\Windows\SYSVOL\domain"

Afterwards, you may test and to see if it helps.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Proposed as answer by David Shen Monday, July 13, 2009 8:37 AM
    • Marked as answer by David Shen Monday, July 13, 2009 1:48 PM
    Friday, July 10, 2009 11:56 AM
  • I'm getting Event ID 4004 in my DC logs and using the DFS console, I can see that the Domain System VOlume replication group is pointing to "C:\Windows\SYSVOL\mydomain.name" and I ran across this post in search of help. Using ADSI, I found the object above that you mentioned but msDFSR-RootPath is <not set> and when I click "edit", the box is greyed out so I can't update it.

Thoughts on my problem or why I can't edit with ADSI?

Thanks in advance.

I.T. Man of many talents, master of none. Android enthusiast and owner of http://AllDroid.org

Thursday, May 10, 2012 7:49 PM
  • this is the excate issue that i'm having, but it doesn't fix it.  I"m trying to syncronize a stand alone directory, the sysvol sync is working like a charm.  This used to, i got delete happy one day when it wasn't working, turns out it was a network error.  When i set it back up i've been having this  issue ever since.  They sync looks like it's actually working, however i can't get a propagation report to work and i'm getting some 4304 errors.

Please Help if you can...

IT guy

Thursday, January 24, 2013 5:28 PM