Event ID 26 - Application popup: LogonUI.exe - Application Error : The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click OK to close the application.

• Hello,

I have a Windows Server 2008 R2 machine.  I manage this server through Remote Desktop quite often.  Occassionally, when I leave a session with this server open, minimized on my client, and then return to it later, I get the error above as a popup box within the remote desktop window with a black background (this entry is also logged in Event Viewer on the server).  Once this happens I am unable to restore a remote desktop session.  If I disconnect (by clicking the X on the top right) I am unable to reconnect.  The server accepts my credentials but it does not load the remote desktop window.  The server continues to run as if nothing is wrong.  I have been forced to reboot the server to allow remote desktop connectivity again.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?  If so, what did you do to correct it?  Thanks.

• Changed type Alan ZhuModerator Monday, November 01, 2010 1:21 AM this is a question
    Tuesday, October 26, 2010 12:20 PM

All replies

• To me it looks like network connectivity issues. What is the client you connect with to that server? Founder, TS Training in Europe! Love Microsoft &its people to bits!
    Tuesday, October 26, 2010 12:27 PM
  • I am connecting from a 64 bit Windows 7 machine.  I use this machine to connect to other servers via Remote Desktop in other locations without any problems.  Thank you.
    Tuesday, October 26, 2010 2:58 PM
  • tell us about where (location) you are connecting from.  Is your LAN / WAN connection stable? When you drop this connection, do you have any other problems going on connectivity wise? What about the event logs on the server.  What do they tell you?
    Hope this helps,

Kristin L. Griffin

Co-Author of the Windows Server 2008 Terminal Services Resource Kit (and a SUPER BIG fan of the Microsoft RDV Team!!!) 

My RDS blog:
    Tuesday, October 26, 2010 5:50 PM
  • Do you have screen saver enabled in the TS server? If so, probably you can check the KB976427.
    Tuesday, October 26, 2010 7:00 PM
  • The network connectivity appears to be stable.  The event log only shows the error in the description of this post, over and over again.  I disabled the screen saver and so far it hasn't done it again, although I've been careful not to let a remote desktop session sit for too long.  Will look into KB976427.
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 2:11 PM
  • Hi there bits,

Essentially what's happening here is that you have something on the box that's not allocating memory properly, and (eventually) stomping on logonui.exe.  Based on your description of how the issue occurs, it's very likely the screen saver, or something else that runs in the background when the system is idle. 

Definitely take a look at the KB article as it might prevent the issue from occurring.  If it keeps happening after you've applied that hotfix, then the next thing to do is to look for any startup applications that launch when you log in, and try disabling or uninstalling those.  If all else fails, you can set the machine up to generate a memory dump the next time the application crash occurs, but if it comes to that we'd advise you to open a support case so that our engineers can help you through setting everything up, and then analyze the memory dump afterwards to see what root cause was.

David Beach - Microsoft Online Community Support
    Thursday, November 04, 2010 3:50 PM
  • Your observation is right David. I had the same issue with Windows 2008 server and the culprit was virtual memory.

Virtual memory was not set right. In fact even the system managed size was disabled.

All I did was pointed a separate drive which I had created for Swap and allocated virtual memory. Issue was fixed.

Monday, October 17, 2016 11:53 AM