none
Backup failed with error code 0x80780179

Question

• When trying to backup Windows Server 2012 using built-in Windows Server Backup tool I get the following error:

The backup operation that started at '‎XXX....' has failed with following error code '0x80780179' (An error occured while writing to the backup target.). Please review the event details for a solution, and then rerun the backup operation once the issue is resolved.

The event details I looked at doesn't provide any help other than the ErrorMessage=%%2155348345

I searched everywhere but the solution eludes me. 

Can someone please help me resolve this?

Thanks

Monday, May 20, 2013 10:04 PM

Answers

• Hi,

From the message, the issue seems related to the backup target. So what's the path of the backup target location?

Please first test to perform a backup to a local drive to see if backup function is fine. And if you are backing up to a network location, try to use command line (wbadmin.exe) instead of GUI.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Bestoptimizer Saturday, May 25, 2013 1:46 AM
    Wednesday, May 22, 2013 6:20 AM

All replies

• Hi,

From the message, the issue seems related to the backup target. So what's the path of the backup target location?

Please first test to perform a backup to a local drive to see if backup function is fine. And if you are backing up to a network location, try to use command line (wbadmin.exe) instead of GUI.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Bestoptimizer Saturday, May 25, 2013 1:46 AM
    Wednesday, May 22, 2013 6:20 AM
  • Thanks, it worked. It was firewall issue to the destination folder.
    Saturday, May 25, 2013 1:46 AM