none
Cant map network drives on win server 2012

Question

• Hi,

i have a server with WS 2012 installed. I made a whole disk D as a share folder.

Problem is i cannot map the network drive on my office PC which are on another VLAN but of course my IP can access to

server VLAN. Of course we use many VLANs for OFFICE, CAMERAS,SERVERS etc. From OFFICE VLAN i cant map the ntw drive but from non OFFICE VLAN i can. OFFICE VLAN and VLAN where server is has no access list so no problem i can ping it RDP is running but i cant map network drive.

From wireshark i got "Negative session response, called name not present."

Can you help me please?

Thanks

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 1:16 PM

All replies

• Hi,

>>From OFFICE VLAN i cant map the ntw drive but from non OFFICE VLAN i can.

Typically,mapping network drive use SMB protocol.According your description,only OFFICE vlan can't map network drive.If you use host name for mapping,that should be SMB with netbios over TCP/IP,it use port tcp/udp137,udp138,tcp139.If you use IP address for mapping,that should be Direct hosted "NetBIOS-less" SMB traffic,it uses port tcp/udp 445.Please check the vlan configuration,make sure there is no filter or blocker for these protocols and ports between OFFICE and SERVERS vlan.

Best Regards
    Cartman
    Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, April 13, 2017 2:22 AM
  • Can you ping the server's NetBIOS name and FQDN? You may have a resolution problem.

Typically VLANS are a logical way of segmenting networks so that traffic from VLAN-A does not traverse to VLAN-B etc. This may be the issue at hand if not the DNS resolution issue.

Miguel Fra
    Falcon IT Services
    https://www.falconitservices.com

Thursday, April 13, 2017 2:54 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking to see if the problem has been resolved. If there's anything you'd like to know, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards
    Cartman
    Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 7:58 AM