none
Merge-VHD gets to 99% then stops or hangs RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Im having trouble merging an AVHDX into the parent VHDX.  The AVHDX is only 21MB but after running the Merge-VHD command in powershell it gets to 99% and just stops or hangs there.  The IO on the CSV drops to nothing and it never actually finishes merging into the VHDX.

Is there anything else I should try here?  This is the last AVHDX file I needed to merge to recover the VM.  If I cancel the Merge-VHD powershell it locks the file and I have to reboot the node in order to try again.

Could another node in the cluster still be holding a lock on one of the files that is preventing the merge from finishing?

Friday, August 16, 2019 8:27 PM

Answers

• Hi ,

Did you try manually merge ? 

Generally ,the Hyper-V merge events are located under:

Applications and Services Logs\Windows\ Hyper-V-VMMS\Admin

Deleting a snapshot results in Event ID 19070 when the merge process starts and Event ID 19080 when the merge has completed. If the merge is interrupted this will result in EventID 19091.

Here is a article talking about how to monitoring removal of Hyper-V AVHD Files, you could have a look:

Monitoring Removal of Hyper-V AVHD Files

Also check if there are some error messages under Show critical Events.

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 2:22 AM

All replies

• Hi ,

Are there any error messages in event log for us to troubleshooting?

Here is a link talking about how to manually merge .avhd to .vhd in Hyper-V, you might have a try:

Manually Merge .avhd to .vhd in Hyper-V

Best Regards,

Candy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Monday, August 19, 2019 5:47 AM
  • Nope.  There doesn't appear to be any error.  If I try to cancel the operation and re-try it then the VHDX stays locked and cannot attempt it again.
    Monday, August 19, 2019 3:19 PM
  • Hi ,

Did you try manually merge ? 

Generally ,the Hyper-V merge events are located under:

Applications and Services Logs\Windows\ Hyper-V-VMMS\Admin

Deleting a snapshot results in Event ID 19070 when the merge process starts and Event ID 19080 when the merge has completed. If the merge is interrupted this will result in EventID 19091.

Here is a article talking about how to monitoring removal of Hyper-V AVHD Files, you could have a look:

Monitoring Removal of Hyper-V AVHD Files

Also check if there are some error messages under Show critical Events.

Best Regards,

Candy

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 2:22 AM
  • Hi ,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.                   

Best Regards,

Candy

Monday, August 26, 2019 4:33 AM
  • Hi ,

Did you have any updates on this issue?

Best Regards,

Candy

Wednesday, August 28, 2019 2:15 AM
  • Turns out the VHDX was corrupted somehow.  Inspecting the VHDX was fine but when that particular VHDX is connected to a VM it would get stuck "stopping".  I ultimately just created a new VHDX and replaced the problematic one.
    Wednesday, August 28, 2019 9:23 PM
  • Hi ,

Good to hear that you have solved this issue by yourself. In addition, thanks for sharing your solution in the forum as it would be helpful to anyone who encounters similar issues.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

Candy

Thursday, August 29, 2019 2:03 AM