none
Logon disclaimer screen

Question

•  

This one is driving me slightly crazy. The concept is simple enough: when a user goes to logon to their computer, they get a message saying the company owns the equipment, the data, subject to monitoring, yada, yada, yada.

The environment is Windows Server 2003 SP2 with Windows XP workstations.

I wrote a GPO that controls the "Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local policies/ Security options\ Interactive logon\Policy\Interactive logon:message text for users attempting to log on" and put my appropriate text there (this seemed to be the most logical place to put it).

After the workstations are rebooted, if I fire up regedit, the "HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\legalnoticetext" key has the text that I'm trying to display, which I am foolish enough to interpret as the policy is getting pushed out to the workstations.

So why am I writing? The users are NOT seeing the message screen, not even for a nano-second. Everybody that looks at this (including people smarter than me) ends up saying, "Yes, that should work just fine." But it doesn't seem to work at all. Any suggestions, tips or advice?

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 7:58 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Did you define a "title" too - you'll find it in the same location, just called: "Interactive logon: Message title for users attempting to log on".

Some ideas on formatting the text output:

http://heidelbergit.blogspot.com/2007_12_01_archive.html

Best regards

Jakob H. Heidelberg

MCSE:M/S,MCT,MCDST,MCTS,MCITP

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 7:04 AM
  •  

Hi,

There are two group policy settings 'Interactive logon: Message title for users attempting to log on' and 'Interactive logon: Message text for users attempting to log on' that can be used to show legal notice.

For this issue, you should also enable the 'Interactive logon: Message title for users attempting to log on' setting and give the text dialog box a title. For more information on how to configure logon banner, please refer to the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:

How to configure Windows Server 2003 to display a message when users log on

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310430

As there are maximum character number limitation for the logon message, please test a shorter message to see whether it works if this problem continues.

Hope it helps.

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 8:26 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Did you define a "title" too - you'll find it in the same location, just called: "Interactive logon: Message title for users attempting to log on".

Some ideas on formatting the text output:

http://heidelbergit.blogspot.com/2007_12_01_archive.html

Best regards

Jakob H. Heidelberg

MCSE:M/S,MCT,MCDST,MCTS,MCITP

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 7:04 AM
  •  OI,ND_Juggernaut wrote:

So why am I writing? The users are NOT seeing the message screen, not even for a nano-second. Everybody that looks at this (including people smarter than me) ends up saying, "Yes, that should work just fine." But it doesn't seem to work at all. Any suggestions, tips or advice?

Legal notices can be somewhat tricky. Did you see that cool blog posting from the DS guys?

http://blogs.technet.com/askds/archive/2008/02/08/deploying-legal-notices-to-domain-computers-using-group-policy.aspx

cheers,

Florian

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 7:48 AM
  •  

Hi,

There are two group policy settings 'Interactive logon: Message title for users attempting to log on' and 'Interactive logon: Message text for users attempting to log on' that can be used to show legal notice.

For this issue, you should also enable the 'Interactive logon: Message title for users attempting to log on' setting and give the text dialog box a title. For more information on how to configure logon banner, please refer to the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:

How to configure Windows Server 2003 to display a message when users log on

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310430

As there are maximum character number limitation for the logon message, please test a shorter message to see whether it works if this problem continues.

Hope it helps.

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 8:26 AM
  • I know this is a very old post but I just ran into this same problem.  I had two issues:

1.  I had the message text in the title section and the title in the message section.  The title one comes second in the list which seems out of order to me but whatever, my bad for not paying attention.

2.  The message text field in Win 2003 and earlier is restricted to 255 characters.  If you're longer than that (which I was) no message screen pops up.
    Friday, October 16, 2009 9:35 PM