none
Windows Server 2016 MultiPoint Manager CALs RRS feed

• Question

• My installed CALs are not showing up in Multipoint Manager - it shows Licenses as "0" (with a yellow triangle and "!").

I have Windows Server 2016 with the Multipoint role installed. From Multipoint Manager in console mode, I used "Add client access licenses" which opens up the "RD Licensing Manager" which I used to successfully activate RD and added 24 CALs which show up as "Windows Server 2016 - Installed RDS Per Device CAL".

Any ideas why these licenses are not showing up in Multipoint Manager?

Aside, I was also getting the system "warning" about the RD server expiring in 100 days or so. This went away when I applied the "Local Group Policy Editor" hack from the post titled "Remote Desktop License Issue" to set the license type to "Per Device". Since this appears to be a "hardstop" requirement to use Multipoint Services, it is not clear why this wasn't configured when the Multipoint role was installed.

Thank you.

Saturday, April 15, 2017 4:58 PM

Answers

• We now have a fix for this issue.  You can install KB4025334.  Please read the details on this thread:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/fad1bdb9-5d0b-4aac-9159-7c57cf5ed829/remote-desktop-license-issue?forum=windowsmultipointserver

Friday, July 21, 2017 4:31 PM

All replies

• This is a known bug.  It appears you have configured your license server correctly following the instructions in this related discussion titled "Remote Desktop License Issue":

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/fad1bdb9-5d0b-4aac-9159-7c57cf5ed829/remote-desktop-license-issue?forum=windowsmultipointserver

But because you chose Per Device, MultiPoint Manager does not count those licenses correctly.  However, you can safely ignore this warning in MultiPoint Manager.  As long as the Remote Desktop session host licensing is configured correctly, you will be able to connect fine.  MultiPoint Manager is just reporting an incorrect license count.  The incorrect license count reported by MultiPoint Manager is just for your information, and will not prevent you from using the full functionality of MultiPoint.  Everything should work fine.

Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention.

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 5:40 PM
  • No Problem, glad I could help.

Do you know when the fix is going to be available?

Just curious, would any/everyone that installs Multipoint services run into these two problems: this per device license issue and the other "hard stop" RD config problem (hack to fix in the post "Remote Desktop Licensing Issue")?

Unfortunately, this would lead one to believe there wasn't much actual testing done on Multipoint services before shipping :-(   if two such apparent issues made it into the released product.

Sunday, April 23, 2017 3:36 PM
  • Unless the RDSH licensing is configured manually, this will result in sessions being disconnected after 90 days, although RDSH still allows 60 minutes before disconnecting the sessions.

In this case, the RDSH licensing service is actually doing exactly what it was designed to do.  The problem is the warnings designed to help IT admins understand what's wrong and configure RDSH correctly are not as helpful as they could be.  RDSH has always required the licensing service to be configured manually.  However, WMS 2012 configured the RDSH and the licensing service automatically and MultiPoint in Server 2016 no longer does that. 

Monday, April 24, 2017 4:36 PM
  • We now have a fix for this issue.  You can install KB4025334.  Please read the details on this thread:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/fad1bdb9-5d0b-4aac-9159-7c57cf5ed829/remote-desktop-license-issue?forum=windowsmultipointserver

Friday, July 21, 2017 4:31 PM