none
VLAN tagging not working in Hyper V RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Dell Server 2012 R2 Standard server running Hyper V. The server is equipped with 4 NIC interfaces, all of them being Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit NICs which are the built in NICs. These 4 NICs are teamed using the Windows teaming service to which gives me a Microsoft Network Adapter Multiplexor Driver NIC. This teamed NIC is then being used to do the Virtual Switch in HyperV and it's configured as an External Network with "Allow management operating system to share..." ticked. VLANID in the Virtual Switch Manager is unticked.

The 4 ports on the switches are aggregated and configured as Trunk ports with a native VLAN of 16. The Host server has a static ip in the VLAN16 range and it works fine and can connect across the network. All 4 physical NICs have the Priority and VLAN enabled. The teamed connection has the 'virtual machine queues - VLAN Id' enabled.

Now my issue is that if i enabled VLAN tagging on a virtual machine, that machine won't work at all even if you give it a static ip, if you turn off VLAN tagging, then it works.

Thursday, October 17, 2019 1:27 PM

All replies

• You need to assign the VLAN ID on the virtual NIC presented to the virtual machine.  Used this many times with no issues whatsoever.

tim

Thursday, October 17, 2019 1:53 PM
  • Hi,

As Tim said, you should assign the VLAN ID on VM settings, just like:

Please let me know if you have any other concerns.

Best Regards,

Daniel

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 18, 2019 2:25 AM
  • Hi,

I am writing here to confirm current situation.

If the above suggestion are helpful to you, please be kind enough to "mark it as an answer" for helping more people.

Regards,
    Daniel

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 22, 2019 7:25 AM
  • Hi,
    This is Daniel and wish you all the best!
    As this thread has been quiet for a while, we will mark it as ‘ Propose answered’ as the information provided should be helpful. If you need further help, please feel free to reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the propose answer as you wish.
    BTW, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems. Thanks for your understanding and efforts.
    Best Regards,
    Daniel

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact

Thursday, October 24, 2019 2:06 AM