none
Windows Update for Windows Server 2003 will not load

Question

• As of this morning we cannot load the Windows Update site on machines running Windows Server 2003.  Logging shows that checking for automatic updates was successful yesterday.  Windows Update site gives error 0x80248015.  This is happening on both Standard and Web editions for us.  Log file error messages:

2014-11-18 11:51:08:549 3116 3b4 COMAPI ----------- COMAPI: IUpdateServiceManager::AddService -----------
    2014-11-18 11:51:08:564 3116 3b4 COMAPI - ServiceId = {7971f918-a847-4430-9279-4a52d1efe18d}
    2014-11-18 11:51:08:564 3116 3b4 COMAPI - AuthorizationCabPath = C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\AuthCabs\muauth.cab
    2014-11-18 11:51:08:580 848 824 Misc Validating signature for C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\AuthCabs\Downloaded\7971f918-a847-4430-9279-4a52d1efe18d.auth.cab.temp\muauth.cab:
    2014-11-18 11:51:08:596 848 824 Misc Microsoft signed: Yes
    2014-11-18 11:51:08:611 848 824 Agent WARNING: WU client fails CClientCallRecorder::AddService2 with error 0x80248015
    2014-11-18 11:51:08:611 3116 3b4 COMAPI WARNING: ISusInternal::AddService failed, hr=80248015
    2014-11-18 11:51:08:611 3116 3b4 COMAPI - Exit code = 0x80248015

Tuesday, November 18, 2014 8:36 PM

Answers

• Not_IT's solution worked for us.

1) Stop the Automatic Updates and Background Intelligent Transfer Service services.
    2) Delete or rename the %windir%\SoftwareDistribution folder.
    3) Restart Automatic Updates and Background Intelligent Transfer Service services.
    4) Go to the Windows Update site, NOT the Microsoft Update site, and DO NOT enable Microsoft Update.
     Direct link to Windows Update site:  http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us
    5) From Windows Update you can install updates. (Obviously MS14-068 is what we’re talking about today.)

The workaround breaks on first reboot and will have to be repeated to install additional updates.

Hopefully Microsoft will fix their screwup with Microsoft Update soon...

Tuesday, November 18, 2014 11:15 PM

All replies

• I can confirm the same from WHS  (2003 SP2).  Last time I know it worked for sure was 11/15/2014.
    Tuesday, November 18, 2014 8:45 PM
  • It's also happening here.

Mike

• Proposed as answer by ArtemZy Monday, November 24, 2014 10:26 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by ArtemZy Monday, November 24, 2014 10:26 PM
    Tuesday, November 18, 2014 8:50 PM
  • Just fixed on one of my servers

1. Stop Automatic Updates and Background Intelligent Transport Service

2. Delete or rename c:\windows\software distribution

3. Restart both services and then try Windows Updates again.

Tuesday, November 18, 2014 8:53 PM
  • Same problem here.  On all of my Windows 2003 servers when I try to go to the Microsoft Update site I get:

The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying
    to view. The options provided below might help you solve the problem.

Error number: 0x80248015

Tuesday, November 18, 2014 9:12 PM
  • Same here...update worked fine earlier this evening but no longer works after installing today's update. Error code as above.

The fix suggested by Lord Brian does not work for me.

Perhaps not coincidentally there is an apparent issue with today's 700MB update for windows 8.1 (3000850) which some are saying is actually intended for server 2012??? Perhaps MS has put the brakes on?

• Edited by Nick Veit Tuesday, November 18, 2014 9:23 PM
    Tuesday, November 18, 2014 9:17 PM
  • Lord Brian-

That worked for me. Any idea what I should do with the old Software Distribution folder? I renamed it and now things are working. Do you think it's safe to delete the old one?

Thanks,

Mike

Tuesday, November 18, 2014 9:25 PM
  • Deleting the software distribution folder does not fix the problem for me. 
    Tuesday, November 18, 2014 9:28 PM
  • i also am having the same problem..

Tuesday, November 18, 2014 9:36 PM
  • Deleting the software distribution folder does not fix the problem for me. 

Hello. For me the same ...  SBS2003R2 last good Update last week. Before Update from MS OK.

Solution from Lord Brian works not for me.

I think last MS Updates (last week) is the reason ...

Tuesday, November 18, 2014 10:03 PM
  • Lord Brian's fix works for me only if I do not re-enable "Microsoft Update". As soon as I click the Get Microsoft Update link it breaks again in the exact same manner as before. This is on WHS (2003) SP2.

Tuesday, November 18, 2014 10:12 PM
  • As a follow up:

I uninstalled today's update KB3011780 - Microsoft Update still does not work in the IE browser HOWEVER automatic update did recognise the KB3011780 had been uninstalled and it successfully installed it again.

For me it seems the update issue is related to their web site only.

• Proposed as answer by Hsien-Ming Wednesday, November 19, 2014 6:49 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Hsien-Ming Wednesday, November 19, 2014 6:49 AM
    Tuesday, November 18, 2014 10:51 PM
  • Not_IT's solution worked for us.

1) Stop the Automatic Updates and Background Intelligent Transfer Service services.
    2) Delete or rename the %windir%\SoftwareDistribution folder.
    3) Restart Automatic Updates and Background Intelligent Transfer Service services.
    4) Go to the Windows Update site, NOT the Microsoft Update site, and DO NOT enable Microsoft Update.
     Direct link to Windows Update site:  http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us
    5) From Windows Update you can install updates. (Obviously MS14-068 is what we’re talking about today.)

The workaround breaks on first reboot and will have to be repeated to install additional updates.

Hopefully Microsoft will fix their screwup with Microsoft Update soon...

Tuesday, November 18, 2014 11:15 PM
  • Hello Folks,

I have exactly the same Errors in the WindowsUpdate.log as joeyf on all of my W2K3 Servers.

The above solution did not work for me. after deleting the Software Distribution folder i was able to open the Windows Update Website, while searching for new updates the site hangs and with a refresh it shows the same error code as before. 

maybe MS has to patch the WSUS website first to solve this problem? Next i'll give it a try for a online search...

mfg

Hendrik

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 7:44 AM
  • Confirming same problem and same resolution. Only Windows Update works - Microsoft Update does NOT work and if installed, the same procedure must be followed again to remove the SoftwareDistribution folder.

Rob Commarota

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 3:15 PM
  • I'm also seeing this issue with WS2K3 machines. Removing the SoftwareDistribution folder and cycling the services did not work for me, as others have mentioned.

My temporary workaround was to search for MS14-068 using the Windows Update Catalog site and download the patches from there:

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com

Hopefully this issue will be resolved in a timely manner.

EDIT: I should mention that the catalog site requires IE.

Don't retire TechNet! - (Don't give up yet - 13,085+ strong and growing)

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 7:24 PM
  • Same with our machines here,

none of the "usual" fixes really helped.

arrrg....

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 7:44 PM
  • Thanks to Not_IT and joeyf: This solution worked for us (after the failure of numerous other suggestions).
    Thursday, November 20, 2014 1:51 AM
  • Has anyone heard of a permanent solution or any form of response from Microsoft about this 0x80248015 error?

We're still running a number of Server 2003 R2 machines.

The stop services, rename/delete SoftwareDistribution folder, the restart of services and using Windows updates (not Microsoft update) worked for a number of servers.  The solution did not work on others.

I've noticed Internet Explorer does not appear to make a difference.  Also tried running Microsoft's Fix/Reset Windows updates and no dice.

One other workaround we've used is switch automatic updates to download/don't install.  This worked for some but not others.

Thursday, November 20, 2014 2:28 AM
  • I can confirm this issue on one server but not another. These servers are running WHSv1. After a reboot of the problem server I was able to download and install this mornings update from the Console but the issue still exists if I were to run the updates from Windows Update.
    Thursday, November 20, 2014 3:43 AM
  • I have same problem with Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2 and Windows XP Pro SP3 machines for the last few days. Windows Update works, but Microsoft Update return 0x80248015 error on both machines.

I found I can re-enable Microsoft Update and install lastest updates from Microsoft Update if system date back to Nov 16 or 17 2014 (my timezone UTC+9) temporarily on Windows XP machine. This workaround  worked Windows Server 2003 too. I can also re-enable Microsoft Update on Windows Server 2003 machine but search process with IE is loop.(this issue solved by myself) 

After restore datetime, I can install updates by automatic update on Windows Server 2003 machine.

(Don't try this workaround to your domain controller)

Thursday, November 20, 2014 8:47 AM
  • Same problem with Windows Server 2003 R2, deleted SoftwareDistribution, WindowsUpdate works. No way to use MicrosoftUpdate.
    Thursday, November 20, 2014 9:46 AM
  • There is some talk about the "<ExpiryDate>2014-11-17...." inside the "Authorization.xml" file(s) in "C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\AuthCabs\muauth.cab" and "C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\AuthCabs\authcab.cab".

On my server, "muauth.cab" has this expiry date but the other .cab does not. Perhaps this is a clue for someone more knowledgeable than me.

Credit and refer to https://isc.sans.edu/forums/diary/Microsoft+November+out-of-cycle+patch+MS14-068/18967.

Thursday, November 20, 2014 9:55 AM
  • Hi Guys

anyone having this issue but cant delete/rename softwareDistrubition folder, run the below to fix it.

open command prompt and run:

net stop wuauserv
    net stop BITS
    cd %windir%
    taskkill /IM cidaemon.exe /F
    rename SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution_old
    net start wuauserv
    net start BITS

then open Windows Update (not microsoft update) at http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us

this fixed it for me on several old 2003 servers that had this issue

Chris D
    Cyber Host Pro LTD
    https://www.cyberhostpro.com
    Thursday, November 20, 2014 11:47 AM
  • This is a temporary solution at best and not a permanent solution.  It only works until a successful update is done and then it's back to a "broke" status.  MS needs an update to remedy.
    Thursday, November 20, 2014 12:40 PM
  • I just tweeted Microsoft about this.  3 days and still no fix or post on this forum.  Absolutely disgraceful.  Please can everyone tweet @WindowsUpdate too so there is pressure on them to respond.

"@Microsoft Please fix @WindowsUpdate on Server 2003.  Your "solutions" don't work and break networking. Post here:

-- huddie "If you're not seeking help or offering it, you probably shouldn't be here."

• Edited by huddie71 Thursday, November 20, 2014 1:21 PM quotes
    Thursday, November 20, 2014 1:20 PM
  • Its only a workaround, not a solution: if U delete/rename softwareDistrubition folder, from that point U will be unable to check earlier updates whether installed or not.

Its boring, MS still didn't got a solution for this problem. (angry smiley)

Thursday, November 20, 2014 3:09 PM
  • Just fixed on one of my servers

1. Stop Automatic Updates and Background Intelligent Transport Service

2. Delete or rename c:\windows\software distribution

3. Restart both services and then try Windows Updates again.

it's working fine for me.

I have stopped the services,rename the folder, after I have restart the services, the new folder is recreated automatically.After 5 minutes the windows update web is working again. ( I don't know if this folder is recreated automatically from windows or by automatic update enebled...

is raccomanded to enable windows update auto before all, after issues is resolved you can disable again the auto update .

Many thanks for your post!

Br.

• Edited by Idas79 Thursday, November 20, 2014 4:34 PM
    Thursday, November 20, 2014 4:28 PM
  • the expiry date in the file you quote, namely 17/11/14, is clearly the cause of microsoft update malfunction.  if you set your local computer system date to a date previous to that, then microsoft update functions ok.   you can set your system date back to the current one when you have finished.   a very simple fix.

whether microsoft have deliberately set this expiry date, because they do not want people to use the manual microsoft update website, or whether they have simply forgotten to renew it, we do not know.   it would help if they would tell us.

Thursday, November 20, 2014 5:53 PM
  • My server 2003 has a much later expiration date.  Somehow your machines have not received this later update.  Microsoft didn't forget to renew it, somehow your machine didn't get the later versions.

I'm behind WSUS here as I wonder if that's a factor.

Thursday, November 20, 2014 7:09 PM
  • I can confirm the problem is NOT related to the latest MS updates but is simply a coincidence of dates: The mauath.cab file from a system of ours that hasn't been updated since 10/15/2014 is byte-for-byte identical to the one newly created an hour ago on our Server 2003 box. The expiry date was already there before the latest updates.

Can anyone confirm whether, on those systems where removing Software Distribution is only a temporary fix, an updated muauth.cab file ever gets installed?  If so, at what point does it get reset back to 2014/11/17?  After new updates are installed, or on reboot, or what?

It appears that muauth.cab is NOT specific to a particular workstation or OS; I have identical copies on our Server 2003 box and on an old XP machine.  If someone (a trusted someone, obviously) could provide an updated muauth.cab, that might give at least temporary access to MU without removing the entire Software Distribution folder (and all our update history).

By the way, Susan: Our Server 2003 box gets its updates from WSUS on another server (and can still contact it without any trouble), but its muauth.cab is still expired.

• Edited by jjjdavidson Thursday, November 20, 2014 9:56 PM
    Thursday, November 20, 2014 9:53 PM
  • Workaround: If I set the system date back to 16 November 2014, Microsoft Update works as it should. I set the date correctly again immediately afterwards. Waiting for MS to fix the date properly.
    Thursday, November 20, 2014 10:14 PM
  • Yes.... with WinXP the workaround to set the date to 19 nov, it works...
    It seems somethings on the MS web site....

Thursday, November 20, 2014 11:45 PM
  • Thanks to joeyf.

4)DO NOT enable Microsoft Update, and I can use windows update site to install updates

Friday, November 21, 2014 1:55 AM
  • I have today also experienced the same problem and can confirm that simply setting my date back to a time prior to 17/11/2014 this magically gets windows updates working again.

I checked the Authorization.xml file inside of C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\AuthCabs\muauth.cab and C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\AuthCabs\authcab.cab had the following line:

<ExpiryDate>2014-11-17T17:27:43.5251853-08:00</ExpiryDate>

The ExpiryDate seems to coincide with when Windows Update stopped working. Still no response from Microsoft on the issue though.

Friday, November 21, 2014 1:58 PM
  • Why is it taking MS so long to react?  Seems like a simple fix here.  This is becoming tiresome.

• Edited by MRL-MO Friday, November 21, 2014 2:08 PM
    Friday, November 21, 2014 2:08 PM
  • I agree as this indeed seems to boil down to a simple expiration problem.

Temporarily setting the date back works for me too.

Friday, November 21, 2014 4:29 PM
  • Setting the date back for WHS does not work.  Need to use the previously mentioned process, stop services, delete dir then re-enable services.  Works well then.  I have two WHS boxes and the date trick would not work on either.
    Friday, November 21, 2014 6:29 PM
  • I simply renamed the authcab.cab to authcab-cab and re-ran.

Everything worked fine and did not revert like it was when I created the following batch file:

rem To fix M$ update issue.  It stops Windows updates, renames update folder the re-starts update
    Net stop BITS
    net stop wuauserv
    taskkill /IM cidaemon.exe /F
    C:
    cd %systemroot%
    ren SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
    pause
    net start wuauserv
    net start BITS

Friday, November 21, 2014 8:37 PM
  • Are your servers using Windows Time service to keep accurate time?  You might need to do "net stop w32time" before you change the date.
    Friday, November 21, 2014 8:38 PM
  • After digging a bit I found this on MS Japan blog

http://blogs.technet.com/b/jpwsus/archive/2014/11/20/windows-server-2003-microsoft-update-0x80248015.aspx

after google translation the bottom line is this:

(Cause) 
    is under investigation for the cause.

(Workaround) 
    the workaround as you please examine as below thank you.

1. [Control Panel] - Open the [Automatic Update], by selecting only to notify the update, do not run the automatic download or install, and then click [OK]. 
    2. from the command prompt, I run the wuauclt / detectnow command. 
    3. After the time has elapsed, so you are notified of the balloon of "Preparing update I was able." in the lower right corner, and then click the balloon.

4. Select any of the updates you want to apply, and then click Download. 

5. If the dialog "Hide update" is displayed, and then click in the check box in any [OK]. 
    6. After the download is complete, so you are notified of the balloon of "Preparing update I was able." In the lower right corner again, and then click the balloon.

7. Select the "Express Install" or "Custom Installation" to complete the installation. (In the case of custom installation, you can select the updates you want to install.) 

8. After the installation is complete, because to restart your computer may be required, it is done as soon as restart it is ready. 
    9. If necessary, you can disable the automatic update from the control panel.

Looks like we'll have to use the workaround for now until MS figures out the problem

Dani Avni

Saturday, November 22, 2014 8:39 AM
  • I am having the same problem with my WinXP32 SP3.

I have tried every known "fix" which has stuffed my system up even further, but have not tried renaming the "software distribution" folder. Not all is lost as I am now able to get Windows Update" but not "Microsoft update" although neither link appears in my start menu.

For the first time sinse AU was introduced I have had a 12 month period where it actually worked without any problems. AU has been nothing but a pain in the ass.

By-the-way "Microsoft baseline Security Analyser" is still able to find "Microsoft Updates"

Update: I tried renaming the "software distribution" folder but it hasn't fixed the problem.
    • Edited by pmjbeedle Sunday, November 23, 2014 11:08 PM
    Saturday, November 22, 2014 9:03 PM
  • Dani Avni: Thank you for posting this workaround.  It worked perfectly on two NAS devices running Windows Storage Server 2003 R2.
    • Edited by mjth Tuesday, November 25, 2014 1:07 PM
    Sunday, November 23, 2014 1:01 AM
  • Still no word from Microsoft after 6 days.  This is disgraceful!  Make your voice heard.  Windows Server 2003 is still under support - for security updates, which this issue prevents you from getting.  This update also prevents you getting updates to currently supported versions of Office and other Microsoft products.

Again, tweet @WindowsUpdate and @Microsoft with a link to this forum until they contribute.

I've heard from our Microsoft support partner that Microsoft are aware of this and are looking into it.  However, as they need to communicate with their customers, I've asked our support partner to relay my request that they update this forum on what is happening and whether they are progressing a fix.  The workarounds are not good enough as they involve much extra work and sometimes apply to Windows Update only.

-- huddie &quot;If you're not seeking help or offering it, you probably shouldn't be here.&quot;

Monday, November 24, 2014 1:10 PM
  • Concur.  This is related to MS14-068.  I had the same issue this weekend, after applying KB3011780.  No issues on any of my 2008 R2 servers, just the 2k3.  Non_IT's workaround gets past the web page error.

I will assume this is Microsoft's subtle hint to shut down all 2k3 servers, and do it now.  :)

Monday, November 24, 2014 2:55 PM
  • hi*, the problem is simple, the cause occurs after installation of Microsoft update, this software have a component expired %windir%\SoftwareDistribution\AuthCabs\muauth.cab->Authorization.xml.to solve this problem temporarily, please downgrade muweb.dll to -> 7.6.7600.256 work without delete additional file!!1! as remove/rename SoftwareDistribution which contains the database updates!!1!
    see -> http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/173049-windowsmicrosoft-update-not-working-on-windows-2000xp2003/?p=1089371

X86
    http://download.windowsupdate.com/v9/1/microsoftupdate/b/selfupdate/WSUS3/x86/Other/muweb.cab

X64
    http://download.windowsupdate.com/v9/1/microsoftupdate/b/selfupdate/WSUS3/x64/Other/muweb.cab

• Edited by b3270791 Thursday, November 27, 2014 11:06 PM FIXED SERVER SIDE WITH A RPC/DCOM SUBROUTINE SEE -> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb394829%28v=vs.85%29.aspx
    • Proposed as answer by David E. Long Thursday, December 25, 2014 4:22 PM
    Monday, November 24, 2014 7:32 PM
  • works in my SBS 2003 R2.  Many Thanks !!!
    Monday, November 24, 2014 7:55 PM
  • Yeah, seeing the same aberrant behaviour exhibited on 3 of our Servers here @ the Clinic, when attempting to access the Microsoft/Windows Update Web-Site. - Behavior was first noticed as of last Friday afternoon: 11/21/2014.

O/S Details:

2 x Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition Service Pack 2 (build 3790)

1 x Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition Service Pack 2 (build 3790)

ERROR DISPLAYED --> Error number: 0x80248015: "The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the problem."

Have already run through most, if not all troubleshooting steps referenced here: http://www.infoworld.com/article/2851796/operating-systems/microsoft-update-fails-with-error-0x80248015-server-2003-and-xp-customers-get-a-cold-shoulder.html & here: http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/173049-windowsmicrosoft-update-not-working-on-windows-2000xp2003/ to no avail...

Have additionally confirmed that this exact same behaviour is also manifesting on at least 70+ Workstations here, which are still running: Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (build 2600)

Can confirm rollback of Dynamic-link library file: muweb.dll located @: C:\Windows\System32\ from Version: 7.6.7600.257 to Version: 7.6.7600.256 does appear to help, as a temporary work-around however>>>

i) Stopped both the Automatic Updates & Background Intelligent Transfer Service Services via services.msc MMC Snap-In.

ii) Re-named existing folder: C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\, appending .OLD post-fix.

iii) Downloaded previous version of muweb.dll (v7.6.7600.256) for roll-back from: http://download.windowsupdate.com/v9/1/microsoftupdate/b/selfupdate/WSUS3/x86/Other/muweb.cab locally, & extracted contents.

iv) Re-named existing muweb.dll (v7.6.7600.257) file @ location: C:\WINDOWS\system32\, & subsequently copied over newly downloaded muweb.dll file (v7.6.7600.256) into same directory.

v) Manually restarted the Automatic Updates & Background Intelligent Transfer Service Services via services.msc MMC Snap-In, & confirmed.

vi) Verified that: C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\ Folder had been automatically regenerated & then launched MSIE to test.

vii) Directed Web Browser to location: http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us & proceeded to scan for, download & install any available MS/Windows Updates as normal. - ISSUE IS TEMPORARILY BYPASSED USING THIS METHOD; of course, is in no way a resolution.

• Proposed as answer by Pedro Pico Friday, March 06, 2015 5:15 AM
    Wednesday, November 26, 2014 6:48 PM
  • Worked again as expected here in Germany...

On my XP and also on Windows 2003.

Greetings
    Ritchy

• Edited by Ritchy059 Wednesday, November 26, 2014 7:36 PM
    Wednesday, November 26, 2014 7:35 PM
  • Worked again as expected here in Germany...

On my XP and also on Windows 2003.

Greetings
    Ritchy

I can confirm that the WS2003 machine that was failing for me previously is working again as well.

Don't retire TechNet! - (Don't give up yet - 13,085+ strong and growing)

Wednesday, November 26, 2014 7:55 PM
  • My Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2 and Windows XP Pro SP3 worked again as expected too.

For your information, authcab.cab's ExpiryDate changed to 2017-12-03T11:59:25.7927833-08:00, and muauth.cab's ExpiryDate not change (still 2014-11-17...).

Wednesday, November 26, 2014 10:25 PM
  • My Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2 and Windows XP Pro SP3 worked again as expected too.

For your information, authcab.cab's ExpiryDate changed to 2017-12-03T11:59:25.7927833-08:00, and muauth.cab's ExpiryDate not change (still 2014-11-17...).

fixed! without a muauth.cab! great!

2014-11-26    23:57:17:828    3820    b24    Misc    ===========  Logging initialized (build: 7.6.7600.257, tz: +0100)  ===========
    2014-11-26    23:57:17:828    3820    b24    Misc      = Process: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
    2014-11-26    23:57:17:828    3820    b24    Misc      = Module: C:\WINDOWS\system32\muweb.dll
    2014-11-26    23:57:17:828    3820    b24    COMAPI    -----------  COMAPI: IUpdateServiceManager::AddService2  -----------
    2014-11-26    23:57:17:828    3820    b24    COMAPI      - Service ID = {7971f918-a847-4430-9279-4a52d1efe18d}
    2014-11-26    23:57:17:828    3820    b24    COMAPI      - Allow pending registration = Yes; Allow online registration = Yes; Register service with AU = Yes
    2014-11-26    23:57:17:828    3820    b24    COMAPI      - Authorization cab path = <NULL>

• Edited by b3270791 Thursday, November 27, 2014 11:04 PM log check
    Wednesday, November 26, 2014 11:06 PM
  • Checked three of our 2003 servers again today and can confirm it is now working again.  I had not applied any permanent change - just used the temporary workaround.  That means it looks like Microsoft have fixed this.  Quietly.  And slowly.  Same old Microsoft. :-/

-- huddie &quot;If you're not seeking help or offering it, you probably shouldn't be here.&quot;

Thursday, November 27, 2014 10:00 AM
  • UPDATE>>>At this point, I can now confirm same results as: huddie71; it does indeed appear as though Microsoft has since corrected the MU/WU issue from their side...

All previously outlined changes pertaining to temporary rollback of System File muweb.dll to Version: 7.6.7600.256 have now been reversed; and I am able to verify that accessibility/operability of the Microsoft/Windows Update System has returned to normal, on all 3 Servers previously affected:2 x Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition Service Pack 2 (build 3790) & 1 x Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition Service Pack 2 (build 3790).

Additionally; I have tested this same MU/WU functionality from 5 random workstations throughout the Clinic which are running: Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (build 2600); and I can report the same results here too. :-)

<<<ISSUE DOES NOW APPEAR TO BE RESOLVED AS OF 1600 EST - 11/27/2014>>>

Thursday, November 27, 2014 9:27 PM
  • Microsoft Update has started working on our Server 2003 box again, as well. muauth.cab was not updated.

Interestingly,  MU is also working again on our Server 2008 R2 box, where it hasn't worked since 09/11 when MU installed Windows Update Agent 7.6.7600.320.  wuaueng.dll hasn't been updated, but MU now works normally.

Looks like b3270791 is right; something got fixed server-side.

Friday, November 28, 2014 2:40 PM
  • Yeah, seeing the same aberrant behaviour exhibited on 3 of our Servers here @ the Clinic, when attempting to access the Microsoft/Windows Update Web-Site. - Behavior was first noticed as of last Friday afternoon: 11/21/2014.

O/S Details:

2 x Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition Service Pack 2 (build 3790)

1 x Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition Service Pack 2 (build 3790)

ERROR DISPLAYED --> Error number: 0x80248015: "The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the problem."

Have already run through most, if not all troubleshooting steps referenced here: http://www.infoworld.com/article/2851796/operating-systems/microsoft-update-fails-with-error-0x80248015-server-2003-and-xp-customers-get-a-cold-shoulder.html & here: http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/173049-windowsmicrosoft-update-not-working-on-windows-2000xp2003/ to no avail...

Have additionally confirmed that this exact same behaviour is also manifesting on at least 70+ Workstations here, which are still running: Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (build 2600)

Can confirm rollback of Dynamic-link library file: muweb.dll located @: C:\Windows\System32\ from Version: 7.6.7600.257 to Version: 7.6.7600.256 does appear to help, as a temporary work-around however>>>

i) Stopped both the Automatic Updates & Background Intelligent Transfer Service Services via services.msc MMC Snap-In.

ii) Re-named existing folder: C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\, appending .OLD post-fix.

iii) Downloaded previous version of muweb.dll (v7.6.7600.256) for roll-back from: http://download.windowsupdate.com/v9/1/microsoftupdate/b/selfupdate/WSUS3/x86/Other/muweb.cab locally, & extracted contents.

iv) Re-named existing muweb.dll (v7.6.7600.257) file @ location: C:\WINDOWS\system32\, & subsequently copied over newly downloaded muweb.dll file (v7.6.7600.256) into same directory.

v) Manually restarted the Automatic Updates & Background Intelligent Transfer Service Services via services.msc MMC Snap-In, & confirmed.

vi) Verified that: C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\ Folder had been automatically regenerated & then launched MSIE to test.

vii) Directed Web Browser to location: http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us & proceeded to scan for, download & install any available MS/Windows Updates as normal. - ISSUE IS TEMPORARILY BYPASSED USING THIS METHOD; of course, is in no way a resolution.

Works for me! Thanks!

Pedro Pico

• Proposed as answer by Pedro Pico Friday, March 06, 2015 5:16 AM
    Friday, March 06, 2015 5:16 AM
  • I was having this issue in my lab environment with two AD servers.  Microsoft Update would not work.  Interestingly enough, though, right after copying and extracting files from the contents of the .cab files to see what the dates were, etc., Microsoft Update began to work again for me.  You might try this if you run into the issue.  Extract and copy files from the .cab files to see if it begins working for you.
    Tuesday, March 10, 2015 5:35 PM
  • I was installing 2003 on a DL 140 G1 now, and I cannot get MS Update working. 

I get 

"

The page cannot be displayed

The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

" ....

What can I do?

Ole - UFO Research Lab (URL)

Saturday, January 16, 2016 7:24 PM