none
transfer rates terrible.... RRS feed

• Question

• I have a HP Gen9 server running Win12R2 server and is being used a a Hyper-V Host server. I created multiple VMs running Win12R2 as well, one being a standard File Server.

The topology is as follows:

Host-->Intel SFP+ adapter -->Cisco Catalyst SW (SFP+ connection, with LACP enabled) --> SFP+ connection --> Enterprise NAS (setup for iSCSI)

The guest VM that is on the HOST is connecting the files stored on the NAS as a iSCSI connected logical disk.

The host has setup the SFP+ connection as the main virtual adapter for the guest VMs to use.

SF-iOV has been enabled.

VMQ has been enabled.

But we are getting slow transfer rates, even on the 10Gb SFP+ connection.

Any thoughts, on what else i can try?

Thursday, June 16, 2016 7:54 PM

All replies

• Hi Cskills,

>>But we are getting slow transfer rates, even on the 10Gb SFP+ connection.

Where are you transfering from and to?

File transfer could not reflect the network speed, the transfer speed is related to many fasctors.

When transfering, have you checked the system resource usage inside the VM?

Beisdes, are there any other applications running on the server?

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 17, 2016 2:29 AM
  • Transferring files from within the file server VM to itself and/or to a network workstation.

Additional environmental background. The NAS is setup as a Shared volume and the file server guest VM is connecting to that shared volume via iSCSI (so iSCSI connection is running within the VM, on the HOST, which is connecting to the physical NAS via 10Gbps SFP+.....make sense yet...LOL)

Example #1

Workstation copies tiff images from local workstation --> to the network share/file server that is basically the guest VM. Speeds varies between 500kb - 5MB.

Example #2

I copy something on the file server VM to itself (g:/folderA/subfolder1 --> g:/folderb/subfolder1) and the speeds top at roughly 30-40Mbps, even though it just coping about 100MB of data and folders.

Friday, June 17, 2016 12:53 PM
  • Hi Cskills,

Have you checked the system resource usage when copying? And are there any other applications?

Also disable VMQ and try again.

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 20, 2016 7:55 AM
  • I checked system resource, and nothing else was running in the background.

I thought it's best practice to enable VMQ, but I will test and try it out.

Anything else I can try?

Monday, June 20, 2016 12:50 PM
  • Hi Cskills,

>>I checked system resource, and nothing else was running in the background.

I mean if system resources are in high usage, the speed would also be slow.

>>I thought it's best practice to enable VMQ, but I will test and try it out.

VMQ is designed to improve performance, but I have seen posts about the issues caused by VMQ.

Considering performance issues are difficult to reproduce to analyze, I suggest you open a case with Microsoft, more in-depth investigation can be done so that you would get a more satisfying explanation and solution to this issue.

Here is the link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/gp/support-options-for-business

Best Regards,

leo

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 8:28 AM