SQL Server Installation RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Experts, 

I have recently started learning SQL Server. And had installed SQL Server 2019 and SSMS 2017 on Windows 10. 

I was told to remove SQL 2019 and install a more stable 2017 SQL Server Version. 

I removed SQL Server 2019 using the standard uninstalling process but now I am unable to install any version of SQL Server. 

The installation is interrupted by an error (Exit Code: -214 746 7259). I have struggling with this issue for almost a month now, and there seems to be no solution but to clean format my Windows and reinstall SQL Server.  

I am reaching out to you Experts to help me resolve this issue without formatting my Windows Machine. 

P.S

I have tried removing SQL Server instances, clearing Registries, etc. But nothing seems to work. 

Thanks in Advance! 

Saturday, August 8, 2020 5:32 PM

All replies

• I was told to remove SQL 2019 and install a more stable 2017 SQL Server Version. 

If you have not already slapped this person on the fingers, you should do so.
    If nothing else, you could have installed a second instance of SQL 2017. It is perfectly possible to have multiple versions installed in parallel.

The installation is interrupted by an error (Exit Code: -214 746 7259). I have struggling with this issue for almost a month now, and there seems to be no solution but to clean format my Windows and reinstall SQL Server.  

Exactly at which point does this happen?

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se

Saturday, August 8, 2020 10:04 PM
  • This happens in the last 10% of the installation process. I can't really point out at what stage.

Saturday, August 8, 2020 10:13 PM
  • This happens in the last 10% of the installation process. I can't really point out at what stage.

That's OK. That gives me enough information for the next step. In the folder C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\140\Setup Bootstrap\Log there is one folder for each installation attempt. There is a summary file and there is a detail.txt. Usually, one has to look in detail.txt to find out where things go wrong, but this file is very verbose. You cannot post it here, but you can upload it somewhere (GoogleDrive, OneDrive etc) and post the link. The summary file is not that long, and could be included in ost.

Saturday, August 8, 2020 10:27 PM
  • Thanks for your help so far. 

Here is the link : https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/15kGSHg2D27ikr4VgBfq3wMOZX8TR4d-z?usp=sharing

Saturday, August 8, 2020 10:51 PM
  • Google wants to me log in to access the file. I don't know if this is something new that you need to log in to access public files, or if this because the file is private to you. In any case, I was not keen on an attempting to log in.

Sunday, August 9, 2020 9:13 AM
  • Hi HoboCop1,

We do not have access to view the file. Could you please directly share the Setup log here?

Best Regards,

Amelia

""SQL Server related"" forum will be migrated to a new home on Microsoft Q&A SQL Server!
    We invite you to post new questions in the "SQL Server related" forum’s new home on Microsoft Q&A SQL Server !
    For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

Monday, August 10, 2020 2:37 AM