none
Issues with resource redirection and server management on 2008 R2, 2012 R2 and 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

We are encountering a rather strange issue on a few of our VMs. We are running a Hyper-V environment on 30 physical hosts. The hosts are made up of 4 different models, from 2 different manufacturers (Dell and Cisco). All our VMs are Server 2008 R2, 2012 R2 or 2016. They are either Enterprise or Datacentre edition and full desktop installs, nothing running core edition. We run Symantec Endpoint Protection on all physical and virtual servers.

The issues we are having seem to manifest themselves in 2 main ways, although both seem to be connected. The first thing we notice is issues with resource redirection. We run an RDS environment for clients. With some of the VMs, the clients are unable to see their locally connected printers. On some of these machines, restarting the spooler seems to sort this. On the rest, a full server reboot is required. Following the reboot, it seems to work fine for that day, then it drops off again requiring another reboot. No errors or warnings in the event logs. It just doesn’t seem to work. We tested the drive redirection, and this also seems to drop off when the printers fail to connect. However, if the printers failing to work is fixed by the restarting of the spooler alone, the drive redirection is not affected and always stays working. This seems to happen on all 3 releases of Windows Server. It happens on different physical hosts from different manufacturers and ranging from 4-year-old hosts to 2-month-old hosts.

The other issues we have noticed is in the Server Manager. When you select the All Servers tab, you get a box in the middle showing the list of the servers that are online or offline, and deeper details if its online but cannot talk. Some servers seem to show up as “Online – Cannot get role and feature data”. These servers we cannot manage properly remotely or indeed locally for things such as RDS Broker that requires the Server Manager. We are unable to change any of the roles or features, to remove or add new ones. We are unable to install or uninstall any applications or Windows Updates. We are also unable to access Disk Management, the VDS being unavailable. We reboot the affected server and that will bring it back online, but the issue will come back, it may be an hour, or it may be a few days.

I have taken copies of VMs that are struggling and removed the AV, and removed all updates installed in the last month. The issue persisted. What is interesting, I took another copy of the same VM and popped it into an isolated network (Private Network) and it didn’t seem to be affected by the issue. I am running this test again and will update this with the results to confirm, but that does seem to be hugely out of the pattern, purely by isolating it. Now this may be due to another VM causing issues, or a lack of WAN access but I am pretty much out of ideas. I have tried as many iterations of this as I can think of, removed and tried various versions of it. I cannot see what is causing this. It seemed to start badly 3-4 weeks ago. It is not affecting all servers, and it is affecting different clients with their environments ranging from Workgroups to Domains, each client having their own space on the hosts. However, the network is one large subnet, so it is possible that something is passing across the LAN. As I say, I have tried everything that I normally would and done lots of digging online and found nothing.

Many Thanks

James

Tuesday, April 23, 2019 2:46 PM

Answers

• Hi All

We have managed to get to the bottom of this issue. It turns out that it was Sage v25 that was at fault here. Sage installs a new service for each version of its application that needs to run where data is shared from. We found that when we restarted this service alone, the printers started redirecting for a day and things like the disk management also started working again for a bit. We installed the latest versions of v25 on the system and it appears that this has sorted the issue. There is no mention of this in the release notes for v25 updates, which is strange. However, installing the latest update sorted it for us and we are working fine after a clean week and a half now with no reboots. Thanks for all your help and assistance.

Cheers

James

Monday, May 13, 2019 2:23 PM

All replies

• Hi,

1>
    About the printer redirection problem, as you had mentioned that, spooler service or system rebooting is helpful for resolving such problem temporarily.

In general, process crushing, resource shortage and 3rd party process effect, such factors may be related. Once problem happens, please open Task Manager and confirm resource usage and process status. Besides, please run “sfc /scannow” to check/repair system files.

Besides, please choose one problematic client system, please un-install printer and all printer relate components, then, re-add the printer to the client system and confirm that if problem happens again.  

2>
    About the Server Manager problem, if possible, re-start both local and remote systems in Clean Boot with all 3rd party process disabled and check the result.  

Besides, please check event and try to find ServerManager(Application and Services Logs / Microsoft / Windows) relate event about such problem. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 24, 2019 2:12 AM
  • Hi Eve

Thank you very much for your reply. I certainly did say about the spooler. However, this does not always sort the issue, sometimes this just restarts fine and the issue persists.

We have already run the sfc /scannow and dism to try and check the system for any issues. Both came back clean.

I do have a certain client system (2008 R2 in this case) that I can remove the bits on, I have an isolated copy that I can work on, but it can take up to 24h to see if the issue is still there. I will post back as and when I get results, thank you.

With the Server Manager, I have had a look on a live system with the problem and in the Microsoft-Windows-ServerManager-ManagementProvider/Operational Log. It seems to show that it is trying to get information about roles and features but I get two extra events logged here. I attach images of both from the event log. The entries are repeated any time the local or a remote Server Manager attempts to get information from this VM. This particular VM was rebooted on 19/04/2019, at 19:09 (Current time is 24/04/2019 10:13). The errors were being logged prior to the reboot and they are being reported post reboot. However, it does seem to have had a day or so without logs, before it came back again. The errors seem to indicate a file is missing?

Many Thanks

James

Wednesday, April 24, 2019 9:17 AM
  • Hi Eve

I went through a copy of a 2008 R2 system that we are having issues with. I confirmed that the printer redirection issue was present first, and I proceeded to remove all printers that I could find. This included an Adobe PDF Printer, CutePDF printer and PDF-XChange for ABBYY, along with Send to OneNote 2013 and the XPS document printer. I rebooted and got the XPS printer back along with Office 2013. I did not reinstall the PDF printers that were present before. All updates got installed as well at this point. Rebooted and rebooted the additional copy I have running alongside it as a sanity checker. Checking the 2 systems today, both are failing to redirect printers. This is on the system that I worked on the printers, and also the copy that has not been worked on at all.

Did you have any luck with the screenshots I sent over? Im not sure which file it is claiming is missing, or where I could get the file from.

Many Thanks

James

Friday, April 26, 2019 9:23 AM
  • Hi All

We have managed to get to the bottom of this issue. It turns out that it was Sage v25 that was at fault here. Sage installs a new service for each version of its application that needs to run where data is shared from. We found that when we restarted this service alone, the printers started redirecting for a day and things like the disk management also started working again for a bit. We installed the latest versions of v25 on the system and it appears that this has sorted the issue. There is no mention of this in the release notes for v25 updates, which is strange. However, installing the latest update sorted it for us and we are working fine after a clean week and a half now with no reboots. Thanks for all your help and assistance.

Cheers

James

Monday, May 13, 2019 2:23 PM