none
Selective mapping of client drives RRS feed

• Question

• We have set up an RDS server farm with a session broker and deploy apps using MSI file via GPO (Desktop and start menu shortcuts)

In order to allow users to open say for example Word documents on their local drives using the published apps, we have enabled mapping of local client resources. In addition to this, we also want to map network shares on logon to the RDS server.

However, I cannot see any option to select from GPO or the RDS server which client drives are mapped so the user sees:

A: on CLIENT

C: on CLIENT

D: on CLIENT

S: on CLIENT

S: Shared Drive

Additionally as the client machine already has a network drive mapping for S drive, this is also brough across and then in addition the RDS server maps this drive locally via GPO. We basically only want to bring from the client machine drive C and let the rest be handed by the RDS server (Network drives).

Ideally I don't want to script this either as the RDS farm is in a seperate forest to the users, joined by a forest trust.

Finally, as the RDP files are deployed from MSI, users do not have the option to select which drives are mapped either.

Help!

• Moved by Lionel Chen - MSFT Tuesday, June 29, 2010 5:18 AM (From:Windows Server 2008 R2 Remote Desktop Services)
    Wednesday, June 16, 2010 2:07 PM

Answers

• you can add this to the RDP files:

drivestoredirect:s:Local Disk (C:);

as for the share redirection I will try to get back after some research although i don't think it is possible.

Naresh Negi (MSFT - Windows Performance Team)
    Thursday, June 17, 2010 8:05 PM

All replies

• you can add this to the RDP files:

drivestoredirect:s:Local Disk (C:);

as for the share redirection I will try to get back after some research although i don't think it is possible.

Naresh Negi (MSFT - Windows Performance Team)
    Thursday, June 17, 2010 8:05 PM
  • Hello,

On July 1st we will be making Windows Server 2008 R2 Remote Desktop Services forum read only. After receiving a lot of feedback from the community, it was decided that this forum is a duplication and therefore redundant of the Remote Desktop Services (Terminal Services) Forum. So, until July 1st, we will start asking customers to redirect their questions to the Remote Desktop Services (Terminal Services) Forum. On June 11th, CSS engineers will move any new threads to the Remote Desktop Services (Terminal Services) Forum.

Please post a reply to the announcement thread if you have any feedback on this decision or the process. You can also email WSSDComm@microsoft.com.

Regards,
    Lionel Chen

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 5:16 AM