none
Best method for copying data to larger hard drive

Question

• Hi,

I have a client with Server 2008 R2. The Server has x2 300GB hdd in RAID 1 array. A c: & d: partition are present. C: partition is for boot/system files and the D: partition is the standard "data shares" partition.

The current issue:
    D: drive partition is at only 4gb of free space. We have purchased x1 900gb hdd that can be installed in the server.

My Question:
    The current D: partition has a large number of shares & permissions for folders and files. What is the best method for moving all the data from the D: partition to the new 900gb hdd, without losing all the shares & permission settings?

Thanks for your time.

Regards,
    Roger

Saturday, November 02, 2013 12:55 AM

Answers

• Hi.

I would suggest using robocopy to copy all files to the new drive. Robocopy can copy all permissions and structures.

Well then we need to repoint the shares. There I would go through the registry and lanmanserver settings.

To simplify abit I did a blogentry with a picture.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. Even if you are not the author of a thread you can always help others by voting as Helpful. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Oscar Virot

• Marked as answer by ICUco Saturday, November 02, 2013 12:07 PM
    Saturday, November 02, 2013 11:32 AM

All replies

• Hi.

I would suggest using robocopy to copy all files to the new drive. Robocopy can copy all permissions and structures.

Well then we need to repoint the shares. There I would go through the registry and lanmanserver settings.

To simplify abit I did a blogentry with a picture.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. Even if you are not the author of a thread you can always help others by voting as Helpful. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Oscar Virot

• Marked as answer by ICUco Saturday, November 02, 2013 12:07 PM
    Saturday, November 02, 2013 11:32 AM
  • Thanks for your post Oscar. Very helpful.
    Saturday, November 02, 2013 12:07 PM