none
The WSUS administration console was unable to connect - Cleanup wizard RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

When I try to complete the Server Cleanup Wizard I get the following no connect error but I am not sure what the culprit might be.  Any insight would be helpful....tnx

The WSUS administration console was unable to connect to the WSUS Server Database.
    Verify that SQL server is running on the WSUS Server. If the problem persists, try restarting SQL.

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException -- Timeout expired.  The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.
    The statement has been terminated.

Source
    .Net SqlClient Data Provider

Stack Trace:
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.MarshaledInvoke(Control caller, Delegate method, Object[] args, Boolean synchronous)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.Invoke(Delegate method, Object[] args)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.Invoke(Delegate method)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Wizards.ServerCleanup.ServerCleanupWizard.OnCleanupComplete(Object sender, PerformCleanupCompletedEventArgs e)

Friday, March 4, 2011 7:58 PM

Answers

• ...if you have any other general wsus/Db tips please that might be helpful feel free to let me know or point me to the reference.

Since you asked....

Aside from this forum, which has a wealth of useful information and problem resolutions...

There is a library of webcasts available on the EminentWare website that I would invite you review.

And, of course, you should be intimately familiar with the WSUS Product Documentation in the TechNet Library.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2011)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    My Blog: http://onsitechsolutions.spaces.live.com
    Monday, March 14, 2011 10:01 PM

All replies

• This is likely an artifact of the volume of work the Server Cleanup Wizard is trying to do. My suspicion would be that you've never run it before, and you server has been operational for some time.

Before running the Server Cleanup Wizard, scan your All Updates view for all superseded updates, and set them to NOT APPROVED.

Then try running the Server Cleanup Wizard in phases, in this order:

Phase I: Use Option #2 only: Delete all dead computers from your environment.

Phase II: Use Option #4 and #5 only: Decline all expired updates and superseded updates that are no longer needed.

Phase III: Use Option #1 only: Delete expired updates and old revisions. This is the step that consumes the most time because of the complex comparisions/joins and the actual delete activity. It is not unusual for this step to take several hours to run on a system that has never used the Server Cleanup Wizard before.

Phase IV: Use Option #3 only: Delete unneeded update files. Once all updates have been declined or deleted, this step will remove the files from the ~\WSUSContent folders that are associated with those declined/deleted updates.

You should run the Server Cleanup Wizard at least once per month. If you are synchronizing Definition Updates, and auto-approving Defender or Forefront updates, you should use this tool on a weekly basis.

Monday, March 7, 2011 4:55 PM
  • Thank you for the reply!!  I gave this a try and get to Phase III but it times out with the below error msg.  It appears that the sc wizard had not been run on the server before as there were very old entries.  Any other ideas of why this might time out and how I am troubleshoot further?  tnx...kevin

The WSUS administration console was unable to connect to the WSUS Server Database.
    Verify that SQL server is running on the WSUS Server. If the problem persists, try restarting SQL.

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException -- Timeout expired.  The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.
    The statement has been terminated.

Source
    .Net SqlClient Data Provider

Stack Trace:
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.MarshaledInvoke(Control caller, Delegate method, Object[] args, Boolean synchronous)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.Invoke(Delegate method, Object[] args)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.Invoke(Delegate method)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Wizards.ServerCleanup.ServerCleanupWizard.OnCleanupComplete(Object sender, PerformCleanupCompletedEventArgs e)

Thursday, March 10, 2011 9:50 PM
  • I gave this a try and get to Phase III but it times out with the below error msg.  It appears that the sc wizard had not been run on the server before as there were very old entries. 

What is the hardware configuration of your WSUS server?

What else is running on your WSUS server?

Most likely the timeouts are a reflection of the volume of data being retrieved/scanned by the process, and it's simply taking too long and the console thinks it has disconnected. This may not actually be an accurate reflection of reality, rather it's a UI issue, but it causes the SCW to be terminated prematurely.

You might have better luck running this step as a PowerShell script.

Monday, March 14, 2011 1:43 PM
  • Tnx for the reply Lawrence.  So to be clear I have inherited this server configuration (not sure if cleanup wizard has ever been run but probably not), and am new to WSUS.  In any case, it is W2003sp2, DC with WSUS 3.2.7600,226 and Symantic endpoint protection manager console running.   Wsus is synching from MSUpdate (not storing files locally), not using GP to add pcs. 

After the cleanup wizard stall at phase III and closing the wsus mmc at end of last week, I logged into the server today and when I tried to launch wsus.msc I got the error; "MMC cannot open the file C:\Program Files\Update Services\administrationsnapin\wsus.msc".  I tried opening MMC ->open and select wsus.msc but get the same error.  I had to "add" a new server update console to access wsus.  Not sure why the old wsus.msc didnt work.  Also the old shortcut appears like the icon for server config wizard.

Anyhow, I re-ran the cleanup wizard from the new mmc and it worked!!  So thank you very much for the assistance and if you have any other general wsus/Db tips please that might be helpful feel free to let me know or point me to the reference.

Regards,

Kevin

Monday, March 14, 2011 7:53 PM
  • ...if you have any other general wsus/Db tips please that might be helpful feel free to let me know or point me to the reference.

Since you asked....

Aside from this forum, which has a wealth of useful information and problem resolutions...

There is a library of webcasts available on the EminentWare website that I would invite you review.

And, of course, you should be intimately familiar with the WSUS Product Documentation in the TechNet Library.

Monday, March 14, 2011 10:01 PM
  • Thanks again..appreciate the information!
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 1:09 PM