none
storage migration service - error code 2 RRS feed

• Question

• When using the storage migration service from MS I'm getting error code 2 for some files. This tool is great for copying over data from an old file server to a newer file server. In my case I'm going from 2008 R2 to 2019. For the most part it works great but there are several files it fails to copy. MS doesn't seem to include anywhere what their error codes mean. The logs show the following for one of the files failing to copy. I can see from the error it can't find the file but the file is there and the new server can see and access it. Does anyone know how to fix this so it copies the file successfully?

06/19/2019-17:24:32.653 [Erro] Transfer error for \\servername\file.pdf: (2) The system cannot find the file specified.
    Stack Trace:
      at Microsoft.StorageMigration.Proxy.Service.Transfer.FileDirUtils.GetTargetFile(String path)
      at Microsoft.StorageMigration.Proxy.Service.Transfer.FileDirUtils.GetTargetFile(FileInfo file)
      at Microsoft.StorageMigration.Proxy.Service.Transfer.FileTransfer.InitializeSourceFileInfo()
      at Microsoft.StorageMigration.Proxy.Service.Transfer.FileTransfer.Transfer()
      at Microsoft.StorageMigration.Proxy.Service.Transfer.FileTransfer.TryTransfer()   [d:\os\src\base\dms\proxy\transfer\transferproxy\FileTransfer.cs::TryTransfer::55]

Thursday, June 20, 2019 1:19 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your question.

For now, we need to collect more information about this issue, we can use SMS Log Collector by referring to this blog (https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Storage-at-Microsoft/Storage-Migration-Service-Log-Collector-Available/ba-p/428316).

This PowerShell script will gather the appropriate event logs of a Windows Server 2019 computer running the Storage Migration Service feature, then save them to a ZIP file. You should run this script against both the Orchestrator node and the transfer destination node when troubleshooting. Always run from within an elevated PowerShell console.

Please download the SMS log collector from the link (https://github.com/nedpyle/storagemigrationservicehelper) , and analyze the logs for deep troubleshooting.

Highly appreciate your effort and time. If you have any question or concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, June 21, 2019 9:33 AM
  • Michael,

I have ran the script but I don't understand how this will help me. All this does is export the logs from the event viewer into text files. I already have access to the event viewer and can see the errors. I don't need an export tool to look at the errors. This does not help me at all. 

Friday, June 21, 2019 2:17 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your update.

How the event viewer said? Would you mind please posting detailed error about SMS?

If you uploading something which may include your sensitive privacy information (like IPs, hostname), please cover up it for your security.  

Highly appreciate your effort and time. If you have any question or concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Michael 

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, June 24, 2019 10:10 AM
  • Hi,

How are things going on? Was your issue resolved?

Please feel free to let me know if you need further assistance.

Best regards,

Michael

Friday, June 28, 2019 8:47 AM