none
using drag and drop in remote desktop on windows server 2008

Question

• we running an application on windows server 2008 terminal services .. this application was support drag and drop functionality .. i understand that terminal services on windows 2008 is supported to drag and drop but is not happening !! even when i run remote desktop connection on this server the drag and the drop is not working !
    i need to enable the drag and drop for windows 2008 terminal services  ..

Thanks in advance
    Monday, October 5, 2009 3:01 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Windows 2008 TS only support drag and drop between multiple monitors. Drag on drop between the local client and the terminal server is not possible.

Windows Server 2008 R2 support copy and paste between multiple session (2008 R2& & Win7 only)

To transfer data from the local client you have to use a network file share or use plug and redirection to a local usb drive
    This Document describes how to make local resources available in a remote session:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc770631(WS.10).aspx

Danny
    Monday, October 5, 2009 3:27 PM
  • Hello Ayman,

If your requirement is to drag and drop files between local and remote sessions, Danny is right. Drag-and-drop feature is not supported in Windows Server 2008-based Terminal Server, which is a by-design behavior hard-coded in the current version of the Remote Desktop Protocol.

As a workaround, I recommend you to use copy-and-paste function instead of drag-and-drop. To enable the copy-and-paste between local and remote session, please enable the clipboard redirection in Windows Server 2008-based RDC. (In Windows Server 2003 environment, local drive redirection is needed.)

Hope it helps. Thanks.

Best Regards,

Lionel Chen

• Edited by Lionel Chen - MSFT Thursday, October 8, 2009 9:01 AM remove the reference as it's not accurate.
    • Marked as answer by Lionel Chen - MSFT Thursday, October 15, 2009 9:19 AM
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 6:01 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Windows 2008 TS only support drag and drop between multiple monitors. Drag on drop between the local client and the terminal server is not possible.

Windows Server 2008 R2 support copy and paste between multiple session (2008 R2& & Win7 only)

To transfer data from the local client you have to use a network file share or use plug and redirection to a local usb drive
    This Document describes how to make local resources available in a remote session:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc770631(WS.10).aspx

Danny
    Monday, October 5, 2009 3:27 PM
  • Thanks Danny ..

i didn`t get what you mean by " between multiple monitors " .. mean between RDT sessions ? ..
    also didn`t understand why between local clients and terminal server is not possible .. i think its good option to be add . 
    Is there are 3th party software can enable this  ..

Thanks again .. 
    Monday, October 5, 2009 5:43 PM
  • At this moment there are no 3rd part tools to enable drag and drop from the local client pc/laptop to the remote desktop.

Wednesday, October 7, 2009 10:57 AM
  • Hello Ayman,

If your requirement is to drag and drop files between local and remote sessions, Danny is right. Drag-and-drop feature is not supported in Windows Server 2008-based Terminal Server, which is a by-design behavior hard-coded in the current version of the Remote Desktop Protocol.

As a workaround, I recommend you to use copy-and-paste function instead of drag-and-drop. To enable the copy-and-paste between local and remote session, please enable the clipboard redirection in Windows Server 2008-based RDC. (In Windows Server 2003 environment, local drive redirection is needed.)

Hope it helps. Thanks.

Best Regards,

Lionel Chen

• Edited by Lionel Chen - MSFT Thursday, October 8, 2009 9:01 AM remove the reference as it's not accurate.
    • Marked as answer by Lionel Chen - MSFT Thursday, October 15, 2009 9:19 AM
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 6:01 AM
  • Hello,

we have problems bei copy and paste on Windows 2008 TS server.

We have the corectly GPO configuration the on the first poste.

We can copy the data from server to client by Internet Explorer.

When we copy the data from server to client by Adobe Acrobat Reader 8 we have issue.

Can anybody help me.

Thanks

Best Regards,

Christian

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 2:08 PM
  • I went into local resources tab on the RDP client added the clipboard and made the root C available to the TS and am able to transfer information back and forth just fine. 

• Edited by Kryoken Wednesday, July 18, 2012 4:37 PM
    Wednesday, July 18, 2012 4:26 PM
  • You can make a little vpn, a number of ways including Hamachi vpn.  Then you can move or paste to the folder, which reside on the Rdweb App server.   Now publish a shortcut to that folder in rdweb, and you can drag it into the app from the published server.

Sunday, October 26, 2014 1:03 AM