none
IPv6 VM Property in Virtual Machine Manager RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I have a 3 node 2016 Hyper-V Failover Cluster running 20 VMs. When looking at the Networking tab at the bottom of VMM (not the individual VM network adapter settings), five of the VMs display IPv6 addresses starting with fe80::. Four of the VMs are using Dynamic adapters, one is using static. All VMs are also Windows Server 2016. Four of the VMs are on the same node, one VM on a second node. There are a total of 4 Virtual Networks, but DNS, AD, etc, exists only on the "Management" Virtual Network.

I assume these are link local addresses and not in use. I don't understand why all the VMs do not exhibit this same behavior.

There are no IPv6 addresses in DNS, I just looked. For every NIC in every VM, I unchecked the box labeled "Register this connection's address in DNS" box in the Advanced DNS properties page of the Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCPIP/IPv6) protocol.

I am wondering how this happened and how to get rid of the IPv6 addresses in VMM.

Thanks,

Vint

Thanks, Vint

Wednesday, April 10, 2019 2:48 PM

Answers

• TL/DR: Setting Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip6\Parameters\DisabledComponents = ffffffff (hex) caused this.

The affected VMs were one-offs, e.g. I did not use my template. The VMs where this was occurring all used the same template and I had set this key as above to avoid IPv6. After further research I learned that Microsoft does not recommend this and used the "Prefer IPv4 over IPv6" value.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929852/guidance-for-configuring-ipv6-in-windows-for-advanced-users

Vint

Thanks, Vint

• Marked as answer by Vint A. Maggs Tuesday, April 16, 2019 2:39 PM
    Tuesday, April 16, 2019 2:39 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It may be due to the IPv6 protocol is enabled in the 5 VMs' network adapters properties but not for other VMs' adapters. Disable IPv6 in the adapters and do a refresh on the SCVMM, that should disappear.

"There are no IPv6 addresses in DNS, I just looked. For every NIC in every VM, I unchecked the box labeled "Register this connection's address in DNS" box in the Advanced DNS properties page of the Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCPIP/IPv6) protocol"

This is the expected behaviour that it should not register the IPv6 addresses on the DNS when the checkbox is not selected

Regards,
    Bala N

Wednesday, April 10, 2019 2:58 PM
  • The IPv6 protocol is bound (checked/enabled) on all adapters everywhere. I wanted to remove it entirely from everything but after some research I decided it was not a good idea and Microsoft recommends against it.

Thanks, Vint

Wednesday, April 10, 2019 3:14 PM
  • Hi ,

Since this query is more related to System Center Virtual Machine Manager, I would suggest you post your question in the SCVMM forum for better answers.

This is the forum that deals with SCVMM in a clustered environment:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/systemcenter/en-US/home?forum=virtualmachinemgrclustering

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Thursday, April 11, 2019 2:16 AM
  • This query is NOT more related to SCVMM. I do not use SCVMM. I use the built in Virtual Machine Manager MMC.

Thanks,

Vint

Thanks, Vint

Thursday, April 11, 2019 12:19 PM
  • I am not clear from your problem statement as to what the actual virtual NIC configuration is for the VMs in question.  Do the VMs have single or multiple vNICs?

tim

Thursday, April 11, 2019 12:32 PM
  • The VMs have from 1 to 4 Virtual Networks assigned depending on function.

Thanks, Vint

Thursday, April 11, 2019 12:37 PM
  • Hi,

Are the VMs connected to the same vSwitch as other VMs? Same vLANs?

If these are in different vLANs, then is there any false DHCP / device propagating the IPv6 addresses with in that vLAN or subnet?

Regards,
    Bala N

Thursday, April 11, 2019 1:55 PM
  • Yes. All three cluster nodes have the same four vSwitches defined, a requirement for high availability VMs as I recall.

There are no vlans defined, each network is physically separate. This is also a brand new network we are building out and I can say with a high degree of confidence that other than the cluster nodes, domain controllers, a few thin clients, and a single NAS, nothing else is attached. 

Neither the NAS or DCs are running a DHCP server. All ip addresses are assigned by me. I am building a new control system from scratch.

Thanks, Vint

Thursday, April 11, 2019 2:10 PM
  • TL/DR: Setting Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip6\Parameters\DisabledComponents = ffffffff (hex) caused this.

The affected VMs were one-offs, e.g. I did not use my template. The VMs where this was occurring all used the same template and I had set this key as above to avoid IPv6. After further research I learned that Microsoft does not recommend this and used the "Prefer IPv4 over IPv6" value.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929852/guidance-for-configuring-ipv6-in-windows-for-advanced-users

Vint

Thanks, Vint

• Marked as answer by Vint A. Maggs Tuesday, April 16, 2019 2:39 PM
    Tuesday, April 16, 2019 2:39 PM