none
ReFS volume is not accessible, file system shows RAW

Question

• Hi,

My ReFS volume is not accessible anymore. It shows capacity zero, used size zero.

The volume is on a parity thin virtual drive.

Any suggestion on how can I get this fixed and access to my data?

Thanks,
    Adrian

Saturday, February 23, 2013 10:50 AM

All replies

• As ReFS cannot be chkdsk-ed fastest way would be recovering from backup.

StarWind iSCSI SAN & NAS

Saturday, February 23, 2013 1:09 PM
  • Thanks for the answer, but this is definitively not what one would expect from Storage Spaces and ReFS. I'm not even sure of the use of Parity or Mirror redundancy if the virtual disk can just disappear.

I am recovering using ReclaiMe File Recovery and it looks that data on the volume is intact, but just the drive is not accessible in Windows.

This is indeed a SERIOUS problem for an already RTM software. I'm still using Windows Server as experimental, but I would think many times before bringing such unreliable storage solution in production environment.

Thank you and regards,

Adrian

Monday, February 25, 2013 6:47 PM
  • Same issue.  Storage spaces triple mirrored volume formatted as refs on a 2012 r2 hyper-v host with a hyper-v configured iscsi to a virtual instance of windows server acting as a file server.  The the server instance running hyper-v decided to do an update and reboot when it came back on the volume was toast.  My offsite backup was 20 days old... Recreating 20 days of accounting and inventory transactions...  Never again will I trust storage spaces or refs.  Why bother with a triple mirrored volume when a simple reboot will fry the whole thing beyond repair.  

I used it because it was supposed to be production ready and able to combine different sized drives and still have resiliency against disk failure which is a very desirable set of features.  It was billed as being reliable and fast, it was niter.  

I had about 230gb of data with triple mirror that should be 690 of space used in the storage pool... The storage space volume is only seeing 157 gb of pool space used in the volume.  Not too much hope of recovery but there are a few key files I would really love to get out.

I tried Remo Recover which was useless.  ReclaiMe File Recovery reported to find about 17k files out of ~350k but almost all of those where filled with a generic error message instead of data.

Saturday, August 02, 2014 2:20 AM