none
Locating a KMS Server

Question

• I have been installing Windows 7 Enterprise on our systems for a while now.  The installations before the last 10 or so have been activating just fine.  Now they're not activating and they're all giving me the error 0xC004F074.  I was expecting (hoping) that to be the "Ran out of licenses" error, but it's not. (Easy solution: buy more licenses!)  It says that they cannot connect to the KMS server.

I tried using slmgr /dlv on all of the servers that I know of, and the two 2008 servers came up as MAK with just the information for the server and nothing else.  As far as I can tell, I don't have a KMS server.  Is there any place I can look on one of the activated hosts to find out what the ip address of the KMS Server is, or some kind of information I can use to locate it. 

If it was set up on one of the servers and couldn't restart when the server restarted after updates, would that information still show up when I ran SLMGR?  I've had them restart with messages that said that a service couldn't restart, and KMS may have been one of them.

Is there any other way I can check to see if my server was set up as a KMS server if the KMS system has crashed on it?

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 2:49 PM

Answers

• Hi

Browsing to the windows/system32 folder and typing

cscript slmgr.vbs /dlv

should show you if the client is referencing a KMS host, look for KMS REGISTERED MACHINE NAME: servername:1688

In order to use KMS.. the client needs to be using KMS licensing.. so the key you enter on install should be a KMS key, and not a MAK key.

Would it be possible that someone in your org, added a KMS host on the domain, didn't tell you, and hasn't enabled hide dns publishing, therefore its broadcasting the kms service?

A KMS host (server that server kms clients reference) must be installed using a KMS key, that enables that server to become a kms host

IF the server or a server on your network is a KMS server you will see upon giving the slmgr.vbs /dlv command within the cmd window a line at the very top stating something like VOLUME_KMS_R2_B channel

and further down in the window...

Key Management Service is enabled on this machine

Current count:

Listening on Port:

DNS Publishing Disabled/enabled

KMS Priority: Normal

And other text below..

• Edited by steve_tbs Tuesday, July 24, 2012 3:37 PM
    • Proposed as answer by KazerMVP Wednesday, July 25, 2012 9:13 AM
    • Marked as answer by James XiongModerator Monday, July 30, 2012 1:25 AM
    Tuesday, July 24, 2012 3:32 PM
  • Steve is right on.  Can you check from the client which cannot activate that DNS record for KMS server can be found?  That's a big part of it.

nslookup -type=all _vlmcs._tcp

This should show you all KMS servers registered in DNS for your domain.

Dave Guenthner [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. http://blogs.technet.com/b/davguents_blog

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 5:33 PM
  • Hi,

Other buddies’ replies are both correct. Just provide another method to verify whether the server is KMS host or not.

On the server, you could look into the Event Viewer, then you could expend the logging, you will find the Key Management Service logging. You could verify the health status for KMS host.

Another reminder, KMS activation is based on DNS. So the DNS settings are vital to make sure the clients could be activated.

Regards,
    James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 8:47 AM

All replies

• Hi

Browsing to the windows/system32 folder and typing

cscript slmgr.vbs /dlv

should show you if the client is referencing a KMS host, look for KMS REGISTERED MACHINE NAME: servername:1688

In order to use KMS.. the client needs to be using KMS licensing.. so the key you enter on install should be a KMS key, and not a MAK key.

Would it be possible that someone in your org, added a KMS host on the domain, didn't tell you, and hasn't enabled hide dns publishing, therefore its broadcasting the kms service?

A KMS host (server that server kms clients reference) must be installed using a KMS key, that enables that server to become a kms host

IF the server or a server on your network is a KMS server you will see upon giving the slmgr.vbs /dlv command within the cmd window a line at the very top stating something like VOLUME_KMS_R2_B channel

and further down in the window...

Key Management Service is enabled on this machine

Current count:

Listening on Port:

DNS Publishing Disabled/enabled

KMS Priority: Normal

And other text below..

• Edited by steve_tbs Tuesday, July 24, 2012 3:37 PM
    • Proposed as answer by KazerMVP Wednesday, July 25, 2012 9:13 AM
    • Marked as answer by James XiongModerator Monday, July 30, 2012 1:25 AM
    Tuesday, July 24, 2012 3:32 PM
  • Steve is right on.  Can you check from the client which cannot activate that DNS record for KMS server can be found?  That's a big part of it.

nslookup -type=all _vlmcs._tcp

This should show you all KMS servers registered in DNS for your domain.

Dave Guenthner [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. http://blogs.technet.com/b/davguents_blog

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 5:33 PM
  • Hi,

Other buddies’ replies are both correct. Just provide another method to verify whether the server is KMS host or not.

On the server, you could look into the Event Viewer, then you could expend the logging, you will find the Key Management Service logging. You could verify the health status for KMS host.

Another reminder, KMS activation is based on DNS. So the DNS settings are vital to make sure the clients could be activated.

Regards,
    James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 8:47 AM