none
Windows 2016 b1607 and OneDrive for Business Files-on-Demand

Question

• I would like to get Files-on-Demand going in our VDI environment; for obvious reasons. However, the latest OneDrive for Business client (v2018 b18.044.0301.006) only gives you Files-on-Demand on build 1709 of Windows. No problem, right? Just install the upgrade for Win 2016 to 1709, right? ROFL ... no upgrade path and no GUI in 1709.

This is a huge problem because this feature is crucial for not syncing all of OneDrive (up to 1TB for our users) to a VDI instance that has a 100GB VHD. We could pay for a third-party app to map the drive or come up with an alternate solution. However, why would I want to do that when Files-on-Demand solves the problem ... it just needs to be made available to the version of Win 2016 that has a GUI. Additionally Files-on-Demand allows us to offer our users a consistent usage of OneDrive regardless of where they are: home, work, or VDI.

I've submitted feedback to Microsoft to please back-port the Files-on-Demand feature to Windows 2016 b1607. Also, I did vote on UserVoice.

My question: has anyone found a way to force Files-on-Demand to be available; via a reg hack or something?

I ran Process Monitor and it literally detects no changes when adjusting that setting on a Win 10 b1709 system with the latest OneDrive client.

VertigoRay

• Edited by VertigoRay Tuesday, April 24, 2018 10:54 PM
    Tuesday, April 24, 2018 8:54 PM

All replies

• I'd also ask for help in dedicated OneDrive for business forum located here.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_onedrivefb

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, April 24, 2018 9:25 PM
  • I'd also ask for help in dedicated OneDrive for business forum located here.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_onedrivefb

Thanks for the suggestion. I've posted there as well.

VertigoRay

Tuesday, April 24, 2018 10:53 PM
  • Sounds good, you're welcome.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, April 24, 2018 11:10 PM
  • Hi,

As far as I know, OneDrive Files On-Demand is now only available on Windows Client OS (Windows 10 Fall Creators Update version 16299.15 or later), and it is not available on Windows Server system. 

As you had already post your suggestion on feedback forum, I would recommend you to wait for function change/add.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 25, 2018 3:04 AM
  • Seems like Microsoft decided to bring Windows 2016 1709 inline with Windows 2019 changes without having Windows 10 Multi-User released. I'm not ashamed to tell Microsoft that they royally screwed up on this one. I'm more than a little disappointed in Microsoft about this.

VertigoRay

Thursday, April 26, 2018 10:53 PM
  • Hi,

I am quite understand your feeling. Also, thank you for your detail suggestion and feedback. They are always welcome as they are helpful for improving the product and service.

There is no explicit information about the new OS version you had mentioned. Please wait for its official related. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 1, 2018 7:39 AM