none
Windows Server 2016 clean install?

Question

• The iso of WS 2016 is larger then the standard DVD, and the install.wim is larger then 4 gb, the maximum size of fat32 file system. Due to the first issue it can not be burned on a DVD, and due to the second, no USB pen drive can be made into an installer, since fat32 does not support files larger then 4 gb, and without fat32 no UEFI boot. So, is there any way to make a clean install of WS 2016? The only way so far seems mounting the iso to an allready installed Windows x64 and run setup from there.
    • Edited by Lotusisrael Monday, October 31, 2016 9:37 AM
    Monday, October 31, 2016 9:37 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Follow the instructions of this link: http://itproguru.com/expert/2016/05/create-bootable-windows-server-2016-usb-thumb-drive-for-installing-os/

Regards,

Gilles Tremblay
    MCSE Server | Desktop | Messaging | Collaboration | Productivity | Mobility | Cloud Platform and Infrastructure

Dont forget to mark as Answered if you found this post helpful.

DISCLAIMER: This post is provided "AS IS" with no warranties of any kind, either expressed or implied, and confers no rights. Always test before!

Monday, October 31, 2016 10:29 AM
  • So, would this work on UEFI? I could format the pen drive from Windows Explorer, then skip to the next step.
    • Edited by Lotusisrael Monday, October 31, 2016 12:44 PM
    Monday, October 31, 2016 12:36 PM
  • Yes, it will work using UEFI.

Regards,

Gilles Tremblay
    MCSE Server | Desktop | Messaging | Collaboration | Productivity | Mobility | Cloud Platform and Infrastructure

Dont forget to mark as Answered if you found this post helpful.

DISCLAIMER: This post is provided "AS IS" with no warranties of any kind, either expressed or implied, and confers no rights. Always test before!

Monday, October 31, 2016 12:52 PM
  • So, let me get it straight. Formatting the pen drive and copying the files can also be done manually, through Windows Explorer. It find it more intuitive and harder to make a mistake. What is a must to be done in Command Prompt is to copy the boot sector. Right?
    Monday, October 31, 2016 3:47 PM
  • "What is a must to be done in Command Prompt is to copy the boot sector."

Yes, that is what the bootsect utility will do for you.

. : | : . : | : . tim

Monday, October 31, 2016 3:54 PM
  • Ok, so this the most important part, and the one I understand the least, pasted below. e: was suppose to be the pen drive? I mean you run bootsect /nt60 x: (Where x is the pen drive)?Now we need to copy the boot sector.  You should still be in the command prompt window

{Note: replace the I: below with your mounted ISO drive letter}

I:

cd boot

— Note: Run “bootsect /help” for detailed usage instructions.

bootsect /nt60 e:

Target volumes will be updated with BOOTMGR compatible bootcode.

Bootcode was successfully updated on all targeted volumes.

If you get an error message similar to below… you may need to close any open windows with that drive and try again.  You could also use the /force switch if you prefer.

Updated NTFS filesystem bootcode.  The update may be unreliable since the
    volume could not be locked during the update:
    Access is denied.

(This usually happens when the drive is open when trying to transfer boot sector)

• Edited by Lotusisrael Tuesday, November 01, 2016 5:08 PM
    Tuesday, November 01, 2016 5:07 PM
  • Yes, in the author's example, e: should have been the pen drive, even though he initially states his pen drive is in D:.

bootsect /help provides a fair bit of information to help you understand how the utility works.

Tuesday, November 01, 2016 9:30 PM
  • Due to the first issue it can not be burned on a DVD,

You should be able to use a dual layer DVD

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, November 01, 2016 9:36 PM
  • From what I knew, dual layer DVD is not a bootable environment for Windows. Am I wrong?
    Tuesday, November 01, 2016 10:45 PM
  • As long as your server can boot from the device and the ISO was burned successfully then it should work fine. Just check your device and software can burn dual layer DVDs

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, November 01, 2016 10:50 PM
  • Hi,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,

John

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 07, 2016 2:56 AM
  • Ok, not tried yet. I shall do it when I have to reinstall the OS, probably.
    Tuesday, November 08, 2016 8:15 PM
  • Tried to method. It does not work on my UEFI machine.
    Wednesday, November 30, 2016 11:38 PM
  • Tried to method. It does not work on my UEFI machine.

What method did not work? Can you find your server hardware listed here?

Wednesday, November 30, 2016 11:43 PM
  • The pen drive boot was not possible. Choose the pen drive from the boot menu, on start, but it failed.
    Thursday, December 01, 2016 8:55 AM
  • It could be the hardware does not support it or it also could be the USB was not properly created.

Thursday, December 01, 2016 1:28 PM
  • I followed the steps. Indeed, I have formatted the pen drive with File Explorer and copied the contents from the iso to the pen drive as well, only the boot sectors were written via Command Prompt. Copying the files to the pen drive, the last step, was done with all the invisible files visible. It is a 2012 UEFI Lenovo machine.  It should work. It runs WS 2016 on UEFI just fine. Perhaps a clean install on UEFI was not considered available by Microsoft, maybe it was considered that only remote deployment should be available. I have burned the iso on DVD DL with a non-Windows OS, it only booted on that BIOS based system, and it did not see the install.wim . On the UEFI machine I run WS 2016 it failed to boot on that one too.
    • Edited by Lotusisrael Thursday, December 01, 2016 5:46 PM
    Thursday, December 01, 2016 5:44 PM
  • You might try this one.

https://www.thomas-krenn.com/en/wiki/Creating_Windows_UEFI_Boot-Stick_in_Windows

Thursday, December 01, 2016 7:47 PM
  • It does not work either.
    Friday, December 02, 2016 1:50 PM
  • I'd probably ask here if there's any known solution.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Datacenter-Systems/ct-p/sv_eg

I've seen some mention of UEFI not booting from USB unless the USB is fat32 which of course is a catch 22 because of size.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Windows-8-and-8-1-Knowledge-Base/Why-can-t-I-boot-from-a-USB-key-on-UEFI-ThinkPad-or-ThinkCentre/ta-p/1004621

Friday, December 02, 2016 2:23 PM
  • I had that problem with Windows Server 2012R2 and had to go out and get Double Layer DVD Media to write it to a DVD. Fortunately I also had a DVD Writer that supported Double Layer DVDs. They will hold up to 7.5 GB, which is big enough for the beast.
      The media is pricey if you get it at a big box store like Best Buy, $40 US for 20 platters and they are not erasable.
    • Edited by Stancey Saturday, December 24, 2016 6:30 AM
    Saturday, December 24, 2016 6:28 AM
  • Burned the iso already on a dual layer DVD. I had the same issue, it booted on the older, bios-based machine, and on the uefi one that was meant for it refuse to boot.
    Thursday, December 29, 2016 9:18 AM
  • The bootsect command above is for BIOS machines.  Look into the bcdboot command.  I am not on my system where I have this scripted, but I have to do this all the time when I boot from VHD on a physical server.  I can configure for either a BIOS or UEFI boot, depending on the command I use to prepare the boot files.

Monday, January 02, 2017 5:22 PM
  • Here is how I initialize a device for UEFI booting:

$Guid_GptType_Recovery   = "{de94bba4-06d1-4d40-a16a-bfd50179d6ac}"

$Guid_GptType_Efi        = "{c12a7328-f81f-11d2-ba4b-00a0c93ec93b}"

$Guid_GptType_Msr        = "{e3c9e316-0b5c-4db8-817d-f92df00215ae}"

$Partition_Size_BIOSboot = 500MB

$Partition_Size_EFIboot  = 99MB

$Partition_Size_Msr      = 16MB

$Partition_Size_Recovery = 450MB

$osDisk = Get-Disk <disk to use>

Initialize-Disk -InputObject $osDisk -PartitionStyle GPT Get-Partition -Disk $osDisk | Remove-Partition -Confirm:$false $WinREPartition = New-Partition -InputObject $osDisk -Size $Partition_Size_Recovery -GptType $Guid_GptType_Recovery Format-Volume -Partition $WinREPartition -FileSystem NTFS -Confirm:$false | Out-Null $bootPartition = New-Partition -InputObject $osDisk -Size $Partition_Size_EFIboot -GptType $Guid_GptType_Efi @" select disk $($osDisk.Number) select partition $($bootPartition.PartitionNumber) format fs=fat32 quick "@ | diskpart | Out-Null New-Partition -InputObject $osDisk -Size $Partition_Size_Msr -GptType $Guid_GptType_Msr | Out-Null

Tuesday, January 03, 2017 3:06 PM