none
Setting Internet explorer home page

Question

• We are using IE 8 on Windows 7 and we are using only the 32-bit version of IE.  When I set the IE home page using group policy preferences, selecting IE 8, where in the registry does the change get made?  We have problems with the IE home page being set for the users.  We are using the 32-bit version!

Thursday, November 03, 2011 8:14 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I would like to confirm the following questions:

1.     What is the accurate issue do you encounter, cannot set Internet Settings GPP item or cannot apply the GPP settings?

2.     What related event error can you read in Event Viewer?

The Internet Explorer homepage can be controlled by the following registry:

HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\Start Page

For more information regarding how to use Internet Settings GPP, please refer to the following Microsoft TechNet blog:

Red / Green: GP Preferences doesn’t work even though the policy applied and after gpupdate \force

http://blogs.technet.com/b/grouppolicy/archive/2008/10/13/red-green-gp-preferences-doesn-t-work-even-though-the-policy-applied-and-after-gpupdate-force.aspx

Based on the current situation, I would like to suggest you refer to the following Microsoft TechNet article for how to troubleshoot the Group Policy issue:

Troubleshooting Group Policy Problems

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc787386(WS.10).aspx

If the issue persists, would you please collect and send the following log files to me at v-artli@microsoft.com for our further research.

Collect GPMC log

==============

1. On domain controller, click Start -> Run, type GPMC.MSC, it will load the GPMC console. If the GPMC snap-in is not installed.

2. Right click on "Group Policy Result" and choose wizard to generate a report for the problematic computer and user account (please place appropriately). (Choose computer and select the proper user in the wizard)

3. Right click the resulting group policy result and click the "Save Report…" => save report and upload it to the link I provided.

Collect gpresult output

==============

1. Run the command gpresult /v >C:\gpresult.txt.

2. Upload the C:\gpresult.txt to the above link.

Collect Gpsvc.log

==============

To collect the GPSVC.log, we need to modify the following registry:

Subkey: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Diagnostics

Entry: GpSvcDebugLevel

Type: REG_DWORD

Vaule data: 0x30002

After the issue reoccurs, find and upload %windir%\Debug\UserMode\Gpsvc.log file.

Regards,

Forum Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, November 04, 2011 2:26 PM
  • The registry entry for IE8 homepage setting is as below.
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\Start Page

Refer this link  for Best Practices of How to use Group Policy to configure home page settings.
    http://www.grouppolicy.biz/2010/03/how-to-use-group-policy-to-configure-home-page-settings-part-2/

On the Cleint PC ran gpupdate /force for the setting to take effect or restart the PC.

Ran gpresult  to check if the polciy is applied.

Regards,
    Sandesh Dubey.
    -------------------------------
    MCSE|MCSA:Messaging|MCTS|MCITP:Enterprise Adminitrator
    My Blog: http://sandeshdubey.wordpress.com
    This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, November 14, 2011 6:20 AM

All replies

• Howdie!

Am 03.11.2011 21:14, schrieb JwGoldin:
    > We are using IE 8 on Windows 7 and we are using only the 32-bit version
    > of IE. When I set the IE home page using group policy preferences,
    > selecting IE 8, where in the registry does the change get made? We have
    > problems with the IE home page being set for the users. We are using the
    > 32-bit version!

I don't think it's a 32<->64bit problem. Have you used the red/green
    underlining feature so that the homepage is underlined green (press F6)?

Cheers,
    Florian

The views and opinions expressed in my postings do NOT necessarily correlate with the ones of my friends, family or my employer. If anyone should be allowed to mark a response as an "answer", it should be the thread creator. No one else.
    Thursday, November 03, 2011 8:24 PM
  • Hi,

I would like to confirm the following questions:

1.     What is the accurate issue do you encounter, cannot set Internet Settings GPP item or cannot apply the GPP settings?

2.     What related event error can you read in Event Viewer?

The Internet Explorer homepage can be controlled by the following registry:

HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\Start Page

For more information regarding how to use Internet Settings GPP, please refer to the following Microsoft TechNet blog:

Red / Green: GP Preferences doesn’t work even though the policy applied and after gpupdate \force

http://blogs.technet.com/b/grouppolicy/archive/2008/10/13/red-green-gp-preferences-doesn-t-work-even-though-the-policy-applied-and-after-gpupdate-force.aspx

Based on the current situation, I would like to suggest you refer to the following Microsoft TechNet article for how to troubleshoot the Group Policy issue:

Troubleshooting Group Policy Problems

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc787386(WS.10).aspx

If the issue persists, would you please collect and send the following log files to me at v-artli@microsoft.com for our further research.

Collect GPMC log

==============

1. On domain controller, click Start -> Run, type GPMC.MSC, it will load the GPMC console. If the GPMC snap-in is not installed.

2. Right click on "Group Policy Result" and choose wizard to generate a report for the problematic computer and user account (please place appropriately). (Choose computer and select the proper user in the wizard)

3. Right click the resulting group policy result and click the "Save Report…" => save report and upload it to the link I provided.

Collect gpresult output

==============

1. Run the command gpresult /v >C:\gpresult.txt.

2. Upload the C:\gpresult.txt to the above link.

Collect Gpsvc.log

==============

To collect the GPSVC.log, we need to modify the following registry:

Subkey: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Diagnostics

Entry: GpSvcDebugLevel

Type: REG_DWORD

Vaule data: 0x30002

After the issue reoccurs, find and upload %windir%\Debug\UserMode\Gpsvc.log file.

Regards,

Forum Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, November 04, 2011 2:26 PM
  • Hi,

I would like to confirm what is the current situation? If there is anything that I can do for you, please do not hesitate to let me know, and I will be happy to help.

Regards,

Arthur Li

Forum Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contacttnmff@microsoft.com.

Sunday, November 06, 2011 3:29 PM
  • post the result os a rsop.msc from client computer which is facing this problem

Darshana Jayathilake
    Sunday, November 06, 2011 3:49 PM
  • Yes, I went through the users Group Policy Preference, set up an Internet Explorer 8 group.  I then deselected (made sure all items had a red underline) everything but the Home page (it has a green line under the setting).  The setting never gets added to the IE browser.

John

Tuesday, November 08, 2011 4:08 PM
  • Hi,

I would like to confirm that have you tried the suggestions I provided above and what is the current situation? If there is anything that I can do for you, please do not hesitate to let me know, and I will be happy to help.

Regards,

Arthur Li

Forum Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contacttnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 14, 2011 2:52 AM
  • The registry entry for IE8 homepage setting is as below.
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\Start Page

Refer this link  for Best Practices of How to use Group Policy to configure home page settings.
    http://www.grouppolicy.biz/2010/03/how-to-use-group-policy-to-configure-home-page-settings-part-2/

On the Cleint PC ran gpupdate /force for the setting to take effect or restart the PC.

Ran gpresult  to check if the polciy is applied.

Regards,
    Sandesh Dubey.
    -------------------------------
    MCSE|MCSA:Messaging|MCTS|MCITP:Enterprise Adminitrator
    My Blog: http://sandeshdubey.wordpress.com
    This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, November 14, 2011 6:20 AM
  • Hi JwGoldin,

I have received the log files from you.

According to the GPMC log, I cannot find that you have configure Internet Settings Group Policy Preferences item.

Would you please try to following the blog below to configure it again to make sure it is configured correctly.

If you configured the IE home page by using other Group Policy settings, please let me know.

Regards,

Forum Support

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 8:35 AM
  • The home page setting has the green line.

One other thing that is strange.  When you login the first time you get our county web page as the home page.  If you go to the web then log off and back in the home page changes to the school web page.  If you log in and don't go to the web then the home page doesn't change when you log off and back in.

John

Friday, December 02, 2011 3:17 PM
  • Hi,

I would like to confirm if the issue occurs on all the clients?

Based on the current situation, I would like to suggest you perform the following steps on the client to test the issue.

Suggestion 1: Reset Internet Explorer settings. For the detailed steps, please refer to the following Microsoft KB article:

How to reset Internet Explorer settings

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

Suggestion 2: Test the issue in Clean Boot. For more information, please follow the Microsoft KB article below:

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Suggestion 3: Reapply the Group Policy by deleting the related registry keys.

Delete All Group Policy Registry keys

========================

1. Click “Start”, type “regedit.exe” (without quotation marks) into “Start Search” box and press Enter.

2. Locate the following key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft]

Right click on "Microsoft", click "Export"; please name the file as "RegBackup" (without quotation marks) and then save it to the C:\ drive as a backup.

Note: In case we need to undo the modification, we can double click this RegBackup.reg file to restore the registry key.

3. Highlight Microsoft and click "Delete".

4. Please repeat the above steps for the following registry keys.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy Objects]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies

Note: if some keys do not exist, please ignore them.

3. Exit the Registry Editor.

What are the results?

Regards,

Forum Support

Arthur Li

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, December 08, 2011 3:25 AM