none
RemoteApp's on Web Access page not updated after user assignment change (refresh has to be forced with iisreset.exe) RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi,

    We are running the following setup:

    2x Remote Desktop Session Hosts (RSH01 and RSH02)
    1x Remote Desktop Connection Broker (RCB01)
    1x Remote Desktop Gateway with Web Access (RGW01)

    All servers are running W2K8R2 by the way

    When I change a RemoteApp User Assignment on the RSH hosts, the Web Access page is not updated. We have to wait quite a long time and perform an iisreset.exe on the Web Access host RGW01. For example:

    Putty.exe is published as RemoteApp on both RSH hosts. It is assigned to the domain local group DLG_Putty. User1 is a member of the Global Group GG_Putty which in turn is a member of the Domain Local group DLG_Putty. So through nested group membership  User1 has Putty.exe on his Web Access page. After I remove User1's group membership from the GG_Putty global group, Putty.exe keeps getting published on the Web Access page, even after numerous logouts. If I run iisreset.exe on the Web Access host after a while (say 5 to 10 mins.), putty.exe is correctly removed from the page.

    Somehow the filtering mechanism of RemoteApp User Assignment is not working properly. I've checked and dubble checked all setup-guides on how to setup such a configuration and everything seems to be set up correctly...

    Does anyone have similar problems or maybe know in which direction to point me???

    Thanks a lot!

    Friday, March 18, 2011 1:38 PM

Answers

  • Hi,

     

     

    According to the description, I would like to confirm the following things to narrow down this issue:

     

    1.       Can user1 access to the application (published by remoteapp) when you remove this account from the authenticated group on the RD host server?

     

    2.       How do you configure the RemoteApp source on the RD Web Access serve(RD CB or RD hosts)? How about if you swap it to see whether this issue disappears?

     

    3.       Have you got any event log when this issue happens on the RD CB or RD hosts?

     

     

    Meanwhile, you might retrieve new icon by manually deleted the cache files on the RD Web Access Server:

     

    C:\Windows\Web\RDWeb\Pages\rdp (default location).  Delete all files in there and then try accessing the website again.  This should force the web server to refetch all settings from the app server or connection broker and the associated icons.

     

    For more information:

     

    Introducing RemoteApp User Assignment

    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/rds/archive/2009/06/12/introducing-remoteapp-user-assignment.aspx

     

     

     

     

    Thanks.

    Monday, March 21, 2011 6:31 AM
    Moderator

All replies

  • Hi,

     

     

    According to the description, I would like to confirm the following things to narrow down this issue:

     

    1.       Can user1 access to the application (published by remoteapp) when you remove this account from the authenticated group on the RD host server?

     

    2.       How do you configure the RemoteApp source on the RD Web Access serve(RD CB or RD hosts)? How about if you swap it to see whether this issue disappears?

     

    3.       Have you got any event log when this issue happens on the RD CB or RD hosts?

     

     

    Meanwhile, you might retrieve new icon by manually deleted the cache files on the RD Web Access Server:

     

    C:\Windows\Web\RDWeb\Pages\rdp (default location).  Delete all files in there and then try accessing the website again.  This should force the web server to refetch all settings from the app server or connection broker and the associated icons.

     

    For more information:

     

    Introducing RemoteApp User Assignment

    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/rds/archive/2009/06/12/introducing-remoteapp-user-assignment.aspx

     

     

     

     

    Thanks.

    Monday, March 21, 2011 6:31 AM
    Moderator
  • I am currently receiving the same problem as Jeffrey Kusters.  Deleting all files from this location C:\Windows\Web\RDWeb\Pages\rdp did not resolve my problem.

    Clint Boessen MVP - Exchange Server, MCSE, MCITPx4, Dip Network Engineering
    Perth, Western Australia

    Blog: http://clintboessen.blogspot.com/

    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

    Thursday, August 16, 2012 5:22 AM
  • Hi,

    I second that, having the exact same problem.

    Tuesday, September 11, 2012 8:41 AM
  • If (in RDWA) you're fetching the apps from the Connection Broker and not directly from the session hosts there is another cache that can be flushed by restarting the "RemoteApp and Desktop Connection Management" service on the Connection Broker. I've done it plenty in a production environment without affecting operations.

    Since i started using that procedure i've never had to  do iisresets anymore (which didnt always do the trick anyways).

    Tuesday, September 11, 2012 9:17 AM