none
Previous Versions Restore not restoring NTFS permissions RRS feed

• Question

• I've noticed this with Server 2008r2 Standard and Server 2012 Standard.

Steps to reproduce:

- Create folder path on non-system drive (D:) - D:\Folder1\SubFolder2

- Change permission on SubFolder2 (add domain users as an explicit permission - say, read only)

- Shadow Copy snapshot the volume

- Delete SubFolder2

Test1 - I restore Folder1 (using "Restore", not "Copy" or "Open") and I see SubFolder2 is back, but the explicit permissions have NOT been restored.  The permissions are inheriting from Folder1.

Test2 - Instead of restoring Folder1 I re-create SubFolder2 and restore SubFolder2 - same results - permissions are not restored, but are inheriting from Folder1.

Now - I can see the explicitly-set permissions if I open the previous version and look at the properties of SubFolder2 - So they DO appear to be part of the snapshot.

How do I get a restore to work WITH permissions?

Thanks

-Andrew

Saturday, January 12, 2013 10:24 PM

Answers

• Hi Andrew,

I tried the same steps and it seems that if I restore the shadow copy (the whole volume), permissions will be restored. However if I restore the previous version (the folder as your testing), the result is the same and it is inheriting from its parent folder.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 14, 2013 7:47 AM

All replies

• Hi Andrew,

I tried the same steps and it seems that if I restore the shadow copy (the whole volume), permissions will be restored. However if I restore the previous version (the folder as your testing), the result is the same and it is inheriting from its parent folder.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 14, 2013 7:47 AM
  • Hi Shaon -

Thanks for the reply and testing.

Is this by design?  Seems to me a Restore should maintain permissions of the original file/folder (as seen in the snapshot).

The only Microsoft notes I could find on expected behavior is here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc778220(v=ws.10).aspx

Now it talks about restoring files (not folders) and applies to Server 2003 (not 2012/8) but without seeing anything to the contrary shouldn't that be the expected behavior still?

Thank you!

-Andrew

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 2:40 AM
  • You can restore with permissions using robocopy utility like this:

robocopy \\localhost\D$\@GMT-2015.05.27-04.00.11\Folder1\SubFolder2\ D:\Folder1\ /E /COPYALL /DCOPY:T

Thursday, May 28, 2015 8:16 AM
  • You can restore with permissions using robocopy utility like this:

robocopy \\localhost\D$\@GMT-2015.05.27-04.00.11\Folder1\SubFolder2\ D:\Folder1\ /E /COPYALL /DCOPY:T

This worked for me!
    Thursday, June 23, 2016 2:17 PM
  • You can omit /COPYALL and /DCOPY:T and just use /SEC instead, generally.
    Wednesday, May 30, 2018 9:01 PM