none
RDP Session Disconnect/Reconnect when RemoteApp is in Not Responding State (Server 2012) RRS feed

• General discussion

• Some of our applications running in our RDS environment tend to enter the Not Responding state while they're waiting for something in the background to happen (open a window, perform a calculation, etc.). When this happens we notice that the RemoteApp session will quickly disconnect and then reconnect. This causes an issue with dialog boxes.  For example, printing to PDF.  A lot of time the dialog box for specifying where to save the PDF is in the background because RemoteApp disconnected and reconnected causing the program your printing from to become the window of focus. This makes user think the program is truly not responding when in reality the dialog box is hidden and waiting for them.  They then need to click the icon on the taskbar to access the dialog window.

To my knowledge we never had this issue with Server 2008 R2.  Any help with this is greatly appreciated!

Scott

Monday, April 14, 2014 1:21 PM

All replies

• Hi Scott,

Are you using Server 2012 R2 from client PCs with mstsc.exe version 6.3.9600 (RDP 8.1) installed?  This latest client version has fixed many z-order issues.

The connection should not disconnect/reconnect just because a particular program running in the session is not responding.  This is not something I have seen before.  Have you verified that the network (between the specific PC and the server) remains solid during the precise time that the disconnect/reconnect occurs?

-TP

Monday, April 14, 2014 2:17 PM
  • Thanks for the reply TP.  I can confirm the version of mstsc.exe is 6.3.9600.  I can recreate this issue on my Windows 8.1 computer and on Windows 7 computers.  I can also confirm no issue with the network at the time when this occurs.  Pings to the server are ~25ms over a 6mb link.  The issue almost feels like a server side issue.  When this occurs it is very fast.  The best way to describe it is the RemoteApp window appears to flash.  On my Windows 8.1 machine it I can see what appears to be new icons on the taskbar when this happens (exiting one disappears and new one appears).  I also notice that the icon will change from the app specific icon to the generic mstsc.exe icon and back again.

Thanks,

Scott

Monday, April 14, 2014 6:40 PM
  • Hi Scott,

Is the server 2012 R2?

Please confirm in the logs that a disconnect/reconnect is occurring.  On the client you would look at TerminalServices-ActiveXCore and on the server side you would look at TerminalServices-LocalSessionManager.

When this happened you had a continuous ping to the server and it did not lose any pings?

Having solid pings is a good sign, but you can still have a network problem that will cause the connection to drop.  You may want to update the NIC driver and firmware to the latest version recommended by your server manufacturer.

Additionally you should consider any routers/switches/etc. that are between the clients and the server as potentially suspect.  For example, I have seen where a NAT router would drop a connection periodically, then the connection would be re-established and not have issues (until the next time).  One way to test would be to swap in a different make and model router/switch and see if the problem still exists.

Thanks.

-TP

Monday, April 14, 2014 7:57 PM
  • Hi TP,

I ran through the sequence of events that causes this and did not see any disconnect/connect in the client log.  So maybe what we're experiencing isn't really a disconnect but rather something else that appears like a disconnect.  While I was awaiting your reply I also tried running the application in desktop mode (mstsc.exe /admin).  I did not have any issues with the "flashing" when running it this way.  Seems to be something in how RemoteApp is handling these windows.

Scott

Monday, April 14, 2014 8:26 PM
  • Hi Scott,

Is the server running Server 2012 R2?

-TP

Monday, April 14, 2014 8:55 PM
  • Hi,

Is there any update regarding the issue? Do you need any other assistance?

Thanks.

Dharmesh Solanki

Thursday, April 17, 2014 1:09 AM
  • We are seeing the same issue whilst running Microsoft AX2012 R3 in an RDS 2012 R2 environment. When we get a non-responsive application page it forces the connection to disconnect. 

Only occurs whilst using RemoteApp

Thursday, July 9, 2015 9:47 AM
  • Have you found a resolution? I am having the same issue.  The remote app disconnects/reconnects periodically from an AX 2012 R3 environment.  The remote app server is running Windows Server 2008 R2 and the AOS and DB servers are 2012 R2. 
    Wednesday, August 12, 2015 1:37 PM