none
How to split server Roles in 2 virtual servers? RRS feed

• Question

• So I Will have 1 physical  host with 2 VM's with Windows Server 2019 Standard. On one VM I will be running my ERP (not a really big ERP) and It's database on SQL server 2017. On the Other VM I am planning to run AD, DHCP and DNS. I also need File/Print and WSUS servers but don´t know for sure on what VM to add this roles. I have this setup for Budget purposes. The question is how can I Split all of these roles over the 2 VM´s with one hosting the ERP? 

The Specific requirements for my ERP are 8 cores, 32 RAM, 1TB. All of them are mínimum requirements. 

My Physical Server Host Specs are the following: PowerEdge r640, Intel Xeon Gold 16C/32T, 64GB RAM, (2) 1.8 TB 10K RPM SAS and (2) 480 GB SSD SATA

Friday, January 24, 2020 5:20 PM

All replies

• What you mentioned should work, but from a administrative / maintenance perspective I'd suggest splitting across at leas four VMs

1. ERP  and It's database on SQL server 2017
    2. AD, DHCP and DNS
    3. File/Print
    4. WSUS

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Friday, January 24, 2020 5:25 PM
  • Depending on the utilization levels of your ERP system, you might want to be able to combine multiple roles together (including WSUS and File/Print). You might want to keep AD/DNS on a separate server from the security standpoint. If you decide to use the same server to host DHCP, configure it according to https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/1515eca4-8716-4360-9d40-383145c528ff/dhcp-best-practices-and-dc?forum=winserverNIS

hth
    Marcin

Friday, January 24, 2020 6:10 PM
  • Hi,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Cynthia

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 4, 2020 3:39 AM