none
2008R2 WSUS v3.2.7600.283 sync error starting with September 5th 2018 RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi,

as of today synchronization fails on our 2008 R2 v3.x WSUS (2016 v10.x WSUS synced fine!) with following error:

SoapException: Fault occurred
    at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.ServerSyncWebServices.ServerSync.ServerSyncProxy.GetUpdateData(Cookie cookie, UpdateIdentity[] updateIds)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.ServerSync.CatalogSyncAgentCore.WebserviceGetUpdateData(UpdateIdentity[] updateIds, List`1 allMetadata, List`1 allFileUrls, Boolean isForConfig)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.ServerSync.CatalogSyncAgentCore.GetUpdateDataInChunksAndImport(List`1 neededUpdates, List`1 allMetadata, List`1 allFileUrls, Boolean isConfigData)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.ServerSync.CatalogSyncAgentCore.ExecuteSyncProtocol(Boolean allowRedirect)

Does any one have the same problem or a solution?

Wednesday, September 5, 2018 6:18 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Yes, same problem here, 2008 R2, WSUS v3.2.7600.274.

Auto sync early this morning and manual sync a few minutes ago fail...

Any idea ?

Thx.

Wednesday, September 5, 2018 7:17 AM
  • Hello,

It would be helpfule if you could upload SoftwareDistribution.log for detailed troubleshooting.

Have you increased the WSUSpool in IIS? Refer to following:
    https://www.anoopcnair.com/best-practices-related-iis-sccm-sup-wsus-setup/  

And according to my search, sometimes it works again just after a while.

Looking forward to your feedback.

Best Regards,
    Ray Jia

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 5, 2018 9:01 AM
  • Same Problem here,  no sync, same error message since 4am.

(SBS 2011,WSUS 3.2.7600.283)

Wednesday, September 5, 2018 1:58 PM
  • Just tried again: the Synchronisation now works up to about 20% and then stops with the same error message. Then I deselected the updates for Office 2002-2016 in products/classifications and tried to synchronize again and everything now works fine. So there seems to be an error in the Office update files.
    Wednesday, September 5, 2018 5:18 PM
  • I tried the Office Options one by one, the problematic update concerns the Office 2016 cathegory
    Wednesday, September 5, 2018 5:29 PM
  • I tried the Office Options one by one, the problematic update concerns the Office 2016 cathegory
    I unchecked Office 2016 as well and Sync's are working again.
    Wednesday, September 5, 2018 5:51 PM
  • I am having the same issue on Server 2016 WSUS v10.0.14393.2007.  I unchecked the Office 2016 box and everything appears to be working for me now as well.
    Wednesday, September 5, 2018 6:10 PM
  • This error is happening on Server 2016 WSUS 10.0.14393.2457 as well. Started on 9/5/18. Un-checking Office 2016 Category does resolve the issue as an interim fix. Someone from MS needs to identify which package was released on 9/5 in the Office 2016 category that is causing this issue and please resolve it.

Thursday, September 6, 2018 3:21 PM
  • We're encountering the same behavior and "fix".  Windows 2012 R2.  Update Services 6.3.9600.18694, CM 1802, latest hotfix.

I have a case open with Microsoft

Thursday, September 6, 2018 6:13 PM
  • Unchecking Office 2016 got me back up and running.
    Thursday, September 6, 2018 9:19 PM
  • I've the same problem with two of my WSUS Servers. Windows Server 2016 and fully patched.
    Friday, September 7, 2018 7:00 AM
  • I have the same issue on my WSUS

SoapException: Fault occurred
    at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.ServerSyncWebServices.ServerSync.ServerSyncProxy.GetUpdateData(Cookie cookie, UpdateIdentity[] updateIds)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.ServerSync.CatalogSyncAgentCore.WebserviceGetUpdateData(UpdateIdentity[] updateIds, List`1 allMetadata, List`1 allFileUrls, List`1& updatesWithSecureFileData, Boolean isForConfig)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.ServerSync.CatalogSyncAgentCore.GetUpdateDataInChunksAndImport(List`1 neededUpdates, List`1 allMetadata, List`1 allFileUrls, Boolean isConfigData)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.ServerSync.CatalogSyncAgentCore.ExecuteSyncProtocol(Boolean allowRedirect)

Friday, September 7, 2018 9:48 AM
  • Same problem here. WSUS server one on Windows 2016 with wsus version 10.0.14393.2430.

I can confirm that without Office 2016 the sync works.

Thx.

Friday, September 7, 2018 10:13 AM
  • I just *love the Technet forums, where disgruntled users can voice their tribulations amongst one another and no MS representative in sight to help.

Yes, I too have this issue.
    Friday, September 7, 2018 11:44 AM
  • Unchecking Office 2016 did not change anything for us. We have two 2012 R2 servers running WSUS and one of them is working fine while the other one does not.
    Friday, September 7, 2018 8:41 PM
  • SCCM and WSUS on 2012 R2 and unchecking Office 2016 did not resolve.  Will have to log with MS.  For now we can pull updates from a standalone WSUS but not from the internet.  Really odd.
    Friday, September 7, 2018 10:14 PM
  • Unchecking Office 2016 did not change anything for us. We have two 2012 R2 servers running WSUS and one of them is working fine while the other one does not.

Not sure, but this seems a different error then the one Markus initially described. Although you haven't provided error details (logs) -  I guess, it's a WebException timeout error -, it seems, that there is a new sync issue with WSUS since Sept. 6th 2018.I've covered this issue within my new article Windows 10: Flash update for Insider and more WSUS issues. But maybe I'm wrong with my assumption.

Gruß/greetings G. Born - Blogs: http://www.borncity.com/blog (Ger) - http://www.borncity.com/win (EN)

Saturday, September 8, 2018 9:39 AM
  • I noticed the same issue with WSUS on 2008R2/2012R2 which started from 06/09/18. WebException timeout error. Tried to recheck Office 2016 and WSUS script to delete old and expired updates. No effects. Seems Microsoft update servers on maintenance to be ready for Windows 10 1809. Any comments?
    Saturday, September 8, 2018 10:42 AM
  • Unchecking Office 2016 fixed the sync failures for me on SBS 2011 (WSUS 3, Server 2008 R2)
    Saturday, September 8, 2018 3:33 PM
  • I did the same, no effect.
    Saturday, September 8, 2018 4:20 PM
  • On Sept. 8, 2018 (early Saturday here in Europe) Microsoft issued new Office 2018 Updates to WSUS. Did this fix the sync issues? I've ohne feedback that it helped in the 'Office issue' - but no idea, if it fixes the WebException timeout error 

See also: Fix for Office 2016 updates related WSUS sync issues?

Gruß/greetings G. Born - Blogs: http://www.borncity.com/blog (Ger) - http://www.borncity.com/win (EN)

Sunday, September 9, 2018 8:26 AM
  • A problem with WSUS sync persists on 4 independent WSUS servers. Error- WebException timeout. Tried all solutions with classification and updates, 1-2 hours attempts to request a list of available updates on Microsoft servers. Anybody does find a solution?
    Sunday, September 9, 2018 8:40 AM
  • I confirmed that WSUS is working fine. Service restored. Synchronization is working. I have not doing anything in configurations.There are no errors. Since morning. Microsoft has done something on Update Servers.
    Sunday, September 9, 2018 3:19 PM
  • Same here
    Sunday, September 9, 2018 3:45 PM
  • same here, in city Nezahualcóyotl Méx
    Sunday, September 9, 2018 4:47 PM