none
Restore files from a Windows Server Backup on a Windows 7 Professional machine? RRS feed

• Question

• We have a Windows Server 2008 R2 backing up Bare metal, System state, RECOVERY, C: and D:. Is it possible to restore files from C: and D: on a Windows 7 Professional system?
    Monday, August 27, 2012 5:58 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Which types of your backup files? System files or individual files?

Based on my testing, the backup sets on windows server 2008R2 can’t be recognized by windows 7 backup utility directly.

If there are only some files such as , videos, music, and so on, you may try to attach .vhd files to get them.

In general, we suggest that you’d better use the corresponding backup software to restore the files, such as, if you use windows7 backup Utility to backup files and you should use it to restore the files, If you backup data by using windows server backup, you’d better restore by using windows server backup.

Regards,

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 5:20 AM

All replies

• I have seen some threads about this scenario. But as the users' report, the best and safest option is through just Windows Server 2008 R2...

Please VOTE as HELPFUL if the post helps you and remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, August 27, 2012 7:19 PM
  • Hi,

Which types of your backup files? System files or individual files?

Based on my testing, the backup sets on windows server 2008R2 can’t be recognized by windows 7 backup utility directly.

If there are only some files such as , videos, music, and so on, you may try to attach .vhd files to get them.

In general, we suggest that you’d better use the corresponding backup software to restore the files, such as, if you use windows7 backup Utility to backup files and you should use it to restore the files, If you backup data by using windows server backup, you’d better restore by using windows server backup.

Regards,

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 5:20 AM