none
Windows 7 Backup Fails With 0x80070002

Question

• Since upgrading from Vista Home Premium (x64) to Windows Home Premium (x64), I have been unable to successfully run a backup.  It fails with message about a "file not found" and an error code of 0x80070002.  I have been unable to find what file it thinks is missing.  I am backing up to an HP Personal Media Drive.

I have tried looking at the registry ProfileList as mentioned in other posts and see no issue there.  I saw a mention of Media Center causing problems and I do have that installed. 

Any help would be appreciated.  Please let me know what other information I can provide.
    Monday, November 23, 2009 4:57 PM

Answers

All replies

• Ron,

Are you able succesfully configure a backup? Could you please elaborate the steps that led to the error? I'll be in a much better position to help you out with that information.

Thanks,
    Sankalp [MSFT]

Tuesday, November 24, 2009 11:02 AM
  • Sankalp

Yes I am able to configure the backup successfully.  I've tried selecting the defaults and also tried choosing the items to be backed up manually.  I've also tried it with and without the image copy option being selected.  The backup runs for a while until the progress bar shows maybe about 60 - 70 percent complete, then it fails on the "The system cannot find the file specified" with an error code of 0x80070002.

Prior to the upgrade to Windows 7 the backup was running scheduled and running successfully.

Thanks.
    Ron
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 12:07 PM
  • Ron

Could you please mail me the logs from your machine? You can find them under C:\Windows\Logs\WindowsBackup\WindowsBackup.*.etl
    Zip them together and send them across to:

sankalpm_AT_micro[opposite of hard]_dot_com

That'll help me diagnose the exact cause for Backup failure on your machine.

Thanks,
    Sankalp [MSFT]
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 8:46 AM
  • Sankalp - I have emailed the logs to you.

THanks.
    Ron
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 10:09 AM
  • Sankalp

Any further information on this?

Thanks.
    Ron
    Monday, November 30, 2009 12:45 PM
  • I have exacltly the same problem.
    Beim Sichern der Datei "C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\Eigene Dateien D" ist ein Problem aufgetreten. Fehler: (Das System kann die angegebene Datei nicht finden. (0x80070002))
    Please let me know any solution.
    My system: Windows 7 prof 64. Upgraded from Vista business 64. Plenty of space on booth drives.
    Thanks
    Peter
    Tuesday, December 01, 2009 12:53 PM
  • Hi Peter,

I´m facing the same problem with a brand new machine while running a system backup. The error shows "reading from the shadow copy" - 0x80780029 and 0x80070002.  BTW. Do you have also problems to generate the WIN 7 diagnostic index  ???  Mine fails after about 95 % of the work done. I´ve made the tests with always *clean* installations of 32-Bit and 64-Bit Prof7. Firstly my vendor exchanged the HD but the problems are still there. Currently the PC is still under investigation.

Karl-Heinz

Friday, December 04, 2009 1:37 PM
  • Hi Ron,

Sorry for the delay. We're trying to figure the problem here. Backup logs indicate a problem with the target. What is the target you are using for taking your backups?

Please bear with us while we investigate this issue.

Thanks,
    Sankalp [MSFT]
    Friday, December 04, 2009 2:31 PM
  • To confirm that your problem is indeed the same as Ron's above, I will need Backup logs from your system. Here's how you can find and send them to me:

Logs will be under C:\Windows\Logs\WindowsBackup\WindowsBackup.*.etl

Thanks,
    Sankalp [MSFT]

Friday, December 04, 2009 2:33 PM
  • Hi Sankalp

No problem, I appreciate the help, just anxious to get backups going again. 

I am using an HP Personal Media drive inserted in a drive bay in an HP Desktop computer.  It is a 1T drive (same as my hard drive).  It does contain some old backups created while I was using the Vista (X64) OS.

Again I appreciate your assistance.

Ron.
    Friday, December 04, 2009 3:54 PM
  • Hi Sankalp

i do not have access to the log files because my machine is in my dealer hands. Here are some hardcopies that i made before i handed out the machine to the dealer again. On wednesday i´ll be in the dealers shop again.

1. trying to save a system image from drive c: to d:

www.rauscher-software.de/downloads/backup1.jpg

translated: error because of an source or target device error.

2. trying to save a system image from drive c: to drive g: ( an external USB HD )

www.rauscher-software.de/downloads/backup2.jpg

translated: error while reading the source volume-shadowcopy. The system can´t find the given file.

3. As i wrote in my first msg, i´m also not able to generate the benchmark index 

www.rauscher-software.de/downloads/index1.jpg

translated: The Benchmark couldn´t be finished because of an error reported from the OS, driver or another component.

BTW. Keep in mind that i already exchanged the HD ( Samsung now instead of a Western Digital )

regards
    Karl-Heinz

Monday, December 07, 2009 3:16 PM
  • Ron,

Can you also send me the event logs on your machine? It'll bebest if you run the Backup once, let it fail and then collect the event and backup failure logs.

To save event logs:
    1. Launch Event Viewer
    2. In the leftmost pane, navigate to Windows Logs --> Application
    3. Right click the node and select "Save all events as..." option.
    4. Similarly, save System logs found under Windows Logs --> System

For Backup logs:

Zip all .etl files under C:\Windows\Logs\WindowsBackup together

Can you please send these to us? Really appreciate your patience and co-operation in helping us get to the root of this failure.

Thanks,
    Sankalp [MSFT]

Tuesday, December 08, 2009 7:33 AM
  • Sankalp

I have email the additional logs you requested to you.  Let me know if here is anything else I need to provide.

Thanks.
    Ron
    Wednesday, December 09, 2009 1:03 AM
  • Ron,

The event logs indicate that a popup was thrown with a "Delayed write failed" error. Do you remember seeing it?

Do you have write caching enabled on the disk?

Thanks,
    Sankalp [MSFT]
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 8:46 AM
  • Sankalp,

No, I did not see any popup messages. 

Write caching is not enabled for this drive.  I tried to turn it on and got a message that "This device does not allow it's write caching settings to be changed.""

I will email a word document with he error messages.

Thanks
    Ron
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 10:12 AM
  • Ron,

Thanks for the information.

There is a known issue around write-caching and hence I asked if it turned on for the Backup target. Did not mean you to turn it on. The traces and Event logs indicate failure to write to the disk. We're still investigating the issue.

Are you able to write files to the device, outside of Backup?

Thanks,
    Sankalp [MSFT]
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 12:41 PM
  • Peter,

Can you please send across the logs for Backup failure? You can find them under C:\Windows\Logs\WindowsBackup\WindowsBackup.*.etl

Thanks,
    Sankalp [MSFT]
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 1:01 PM
  • Karl-Heinz,

Your issue is different from the one being discussed on this thread. For better focus and faster resolution, I suggest you start a seperate thread. Also, being a forum for Windows Backup, we will be able to help you only with the first 2 issues. Suggest looking for the right forum to report your problem with the Benchmark index.

1. For the first Backup failure: did you try running chkdsk, as suggested in the error message? You might also want to take a look at this:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsbackup/thread/a4a9b317-70ec-407a-877f-e5eb063db005

2. For the second failure, can you please send across the log files to me?

Thanks,
    Sankalp [MSFT]

Thursday, December 10, 2009 1:24 PM
  • Sankalp -

I realized after I sent my last post that you didn't really want me to turn caching on...I shouln't try to think so early in my morning!!

Yes, I am able to write other files to the disk ... except after the Backup failure, it makes the drive unaccessable until I reboot, then it is okay again.

Thanks.

Ron
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 2:27 PM
  • Ron,

When you wrote files to the disk (before a Backup failure, when the disk is still accessible), what was the size of the files? Can you try to check if you can write a single file of size more than 200MB to the disk?

Thanks,
    Sankalp [MSFT]
    Friday, December 11, 2009 10:23 AM
  • Sankalp

The files I wrote were very small (less that 1k) files. 

I have tried several times copying a 724mb video file to that drive.  It appears to complete okay, but I am unable to open that file (an mpeg file) after copying it  (says it has an invalid codec). 

After copying the last time I tried creating a NEW .txt file on that drive.  It acted as the file had been created, but then I edited it to add text and tried to save it and received a "delayed write" error and said the file was lost.  the text file shows in the direcotry listing, but cannot be accessed.

Ron
    Friday, December 11, 2009 12:35 PM
  • Ron,

Just to clarify - the video that you copied to the disk, are you able to open it from the source location? Basically, I want to make sure that it isn't a genuine codec issue.

Did you try copying between a reboot and an attempted backup?

We're following up with other teams to try figure out the issue, but I'm beginning to suspect a genuine device problem, which surfaces only when big files are written to it. This is essentially what backup tries to do. It takes a bunch of files, compresses them together and writes them to the target. Each file being written to the target by Backup is usually 200MB.

Also, is Backup to a different target succeeding?

Thanks,
    Sankalp [MSFT]
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 11:04 AM
  • Sankalp -

Yes I can play the video file I copied successfully from the original location.

I did copy the immediately after a reboot (and before attempting a backup).

I have not tried to backup to another target (I will try backing up to a DVD device later today and forward the results).  Backing up to this USB HP Personal Media drive was successful under Vista (64bit). 

Thanks for continuing to research.

Ron.

Tuesday, December 15, 2009 11:35 AM
  • Sankalp -

I was able to backup a large group of files to a DVD drive.

Ron
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 7:41 AM
  • Ron,

Can you send across a screenshot containing Device Manager information for USB controller on your machine:

1. Search for device manager on the start menu search bar.
    2. After Launching Device Manager, look for the "Universal Serial Bus Controllers". Expand the node.
    3. Take a screenshot. (Alt+Print screen with Device Manager in foreground, save the image using mspaint.)

You can send it to me. We're suspecting that you're hitting a known issue with the USB media controller. If that is indeed the case, we might have an end to this ordeal in sight.

Thanks,
    Sankalp [MSFT]

Wednesday, December 16, 2009 6:15 PM
  • Sankalp -

I have just emailed a screen print to you.

Thanks.
    Ron
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 9:30 PM
  • Followed up further offline with Ron. Turns out the issue was with the USB Controller on the machine. This is a known issue, please see this kb article for more information and the hotfix: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976972

With the hotfix, Backup works fine. Ron was able to take a full Backup and System Image successfully to his USB Disk.

Thanks,
    Sankalp [MSFT]

Thursday, December 17, 2009 7:37 AM
  • Sankalp,

[...]
    > Your issue is different from the one being discussed on this thread.
    > For better focus and faster resolution, I suggest you start a seperate thread.
    [...]

step by step my hardware vendor checked every component. Result: The main board caused the described errors !!  After a replacement i´m now able to do a backup and also the Win7 buildin benchmark.

regards
    Karl-Heinz

Tuesday, December 22, 2009 9:02 AM
  • Glad it worked out!

Thanks,
    Sankalp[MSFT]
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 7:07 AM
  • I have the same issue with the backup not working providing the same error code (0x800070002). I was just trying to backup the system files, so not any user data. I am trying to backup to an external HDD via a USB connection and have gone through the Vista - Win7 Home Premium upgrade path.

I did try the hot fix mentioned above as I thought it might be the USB, but was told that it was not suitable for my computer.

Thanks
    Gary.
    Friday, January 22, 2010 12:20 PM
  • Hi Sankalp

I'm having the exact same issue on my machine and I can tell you already a few things about it:

*I had some bad user profiles listed in the 'ProfileList' registry key, which I removed
    *I successfully ran 'chkdsk /F /V /B' on the drive I'm writing to
    *I tried to reset the backup by deleting the necessary entries in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsBackup
    *I am only backing up a simple, small folder of user data, nothing else
    *I am not getting any logs in the Windows/Logs/WindowBackup folder. Only some etl files, but I actually cannot interpret what I've seen with the ServiceTraceViewer in them.

Do you have any further suggestions how I could try to identify the problem? I think the hotfix mentioned above is not applicable, as I have no Nvidia chipset nor >=4GB of RAM. Should I try to apply it anyway?

I hope we'll be able to figure out what prevents it from working.

Best
    Rainer
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 10:23 PM
  • Hi RainerJR,

I would suggest that you refrain from changing registry as that might tamper with the state of the Windows Backup or the system itself. To help me diagnose your problem, I'll need the logs on your machine

Can you zip the .etl files you found under Windows/Logs/WindowBackup folder and send them to:

Thanks,
    Sankalp [MSFT]

Monday, January 25, 2010 9:26 AM
  • M0nstermunch,

To diagnose the Backup problem on your machine, I'll need the logs. Here's how you can find and send them to me:

Thanks,
    Sankalp [MSFT]
    Monday, January 25, 2010 9:28 AM
  • Hi Sankalp,

I am also victim of the Windows 7 Backup 0x80070002 error message when trying to backup to a network location (NAS). I checked the registry for invalid profiles, ran chkdsk /R and even gave a shot to KB947821, all at no avail.

I have forced file ownership to myself to make sure this wasn't the problem, still no go.

I have 2 systems, a win7 64-bit laptop on which the backup works fine and a win7 32-bit desktop machine, which is the system causing trouble.
    Both are clean installs, and both are using the same backup destination (same folder on NAS).

I also tried using a different network location as backup destination, still no go.

I did not try KB976972 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976972), as my system only has 2GB of RAM, and is USB is provided by Intel ICH7, not nVidia chipset. Moreover, I am not trying to save to a USB disk, but to a network location.

I am now down to running very simple test of backupping a single folder with only a few files in it, and I keep getting the same 0x8007002 error.

Please help!
    Monday, January 25, 2010 3:47 PM
  • _lmc_,

Since you are not backing up to a USB device, I think the hotfix discussed earlier on the thread will not be the solution for your problem. Please send me the Backup logs from your machine:

I'll take a look and revert asap.

Thanks,
    Sankalp [MSFT]
    Tuesday, February 02, 2010 9:07 AM
  • Hi Sankalp,

I saw your posting to _lmc_, and it appears that he is having the same issue as me backing up to an network share.
    I'll mail you my logfiles and would be very grateful if you could look into it..

Thanks,

Kenneth A, Norway
    Sunday, February 07, 2010 3:34 PM
  • Followed up offline with Rainer. Posting the solution here:

The problem was with the bcdstore file usually found on the OS volume. Grub2 installed on the dual boot system had altered the location for this file. As such, Backup was failing while trying to locate it. The solution is to run the following command in an admin console on your OS volume:

bcdboot X:\Windows 
    (X is the OS volume here)

This will recreate the file at the expected location. Backup should work fine with this.

Thanks,
    Sankalp

Monday, February 08, 2010 8:27 AM
  • Thanks for the tip (bcdboot ...). That finally got my backup to work. Now hopefully it didn't break grub - i'm afraid to reboot.
    Tuesday, February 09, 2010 2:04 AM
  • Hello,

I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering if anybody had gotten anywhere with the error 0x80070002 on Windows 7 when backing up to a network location. I had it run successfully the first time, but when I try to backup again it fails within a minute of starting. 

System log reads:
    "The backup was not successful. The error is: The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002)."

Network is Gigabit ethernet, to a very stable Linux box with a 1.5TB network share on it. I have no other issues accessing the share, even while the backup is running. I also have a Windows 7 laptop, and a Windows XP PC that backup to the same share with no problems.

Thursday, April 22, 2010 5:45 AM
  • l00pey,

Can you please send me the backup failure log files? They will be under C:\Windows\Logs\WindowsBackup\WindowsBackup.*.etl

I'll take a look and revert asap.

Thanks,

Sankalp

Thursday, April 22, 2010 6:21 AM
  • Sankalp, I'm having the same problem.  I get errors 8007002, 8007003, or 81000037 depending on what I try.  The drive to backup data to is internal, and I have installed the Nvidia USB controller update, but that seems to have not fixed anything.  I also have sent you my backup log files. The drive to save things to has gotten an ok from chkdsk (/X & /R) so, I'm at a loss as to why this is happening.

Thanks in advance

Friday, May 28, 2010 7:35 AM
  • Thank you Sankalp for the solution involving bcdboot. Apparently, I had changed the boot order in my BIOS after flashing it, which seems to have confused Backup.

Thanks a ton,

Vivek

Friday, June 25, 2010 6:09 AM
  • Hi ,

I just bought HP G62 228ca laptop which has win 7 home premium 64 bit. i also get 0x80070002 error while i back up. i am backing up the files on the same hard disk but on a different partition. Somebody HELP!!!!

Arshit

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 6:17 AM
  • Arshit,

Could you please mail me the logs from your machine? You can find them under C:\Windows\Logs\WindowsBackup\WindowsBackup.*.etl

sankalpm_AT_microsoft_DOT_com

Thanks.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Monday, December 13, 2010 6:04 AM
  • I have Windows 7 64 bit and try to back up on My Book Essential 3.0 via usb 3 using Windows backup. It failed using WD:s own software. When doing this with Windows I get the error "file not found" and an error code of 0x80070002. I installed the hotfix http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976972 but it didn´t help. I tried to run the bcdboot but failed - probably didn´t understand how to do this coorectly. Will greatly appreciate a solution to this problem.
    Wednesday, May 04, 2011 7:58 PM
  • I'm running W7 64bit and unable to backup from the get go getting the 0x80070002 message. Had been running VM Ware Player and also VirtualBox but I dont think have anything to do with the problem. Removed them. Still running XPMode. Also have integrated graphics not Nvidia. Have tried backing up to different parition, different drive, various USB drives. I've searched on Google high and low and done things llike checking registry keys but not seeing any problems. Can someone help? This is frustrating. Thanks in advance.

Monday, December 12, 2011 8:39 PM