none
Task scheduler is broken after windows 10 downgrade

Question

• After upgrade my Windows 8.0 to Windows 10, and then downgrade it back to windows 8.0 (there's an option in backup&recovery),

Windows Task Scheduler was broken completely. Manual maintenance does not start ("Windows is unable to run automatic maintenance. The maintenance scheduler is unavailable."), after trying to navigate to task groups in mmc, I got plenty of empty groups and errors like

* "The task XML contains a value which is incorrectly formatted or out of range."

* "The task XML contains an unexpected node."

How can I fix that? I can reinstall some software to fix its tasks, but how I can fix system ones?

Friday, July 31, 2015 10:08 AM

Answers

• I had exactly the same problem. After some scratching around, I found that there is a well understood way to fix the reverted system, through careful edits in the registry and System32. Rather than do this for each of the 20+ tasks that reversion corrupts, I wrote a program to do the job for me. You can find it, along with all the source and an explanation of what it does, here: https://repairtasks.codeplex.com/

I hope it helps!

Dijji

Architect, WF. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, August 14, 2015 1:17 PM

All replies

• Seeing the same here when I downgraded from Windows 10 back to Windows 7. It looks like a large portion of the scheduled tasks became corrupted and have disappeared. A vast majority of them where ones in the Microsoft container.
    Friday, July 31, 2015 4:33 PM
  • I have exactly the same issue. 54 tasks have been corrupted. I have to close 54 pop up notifications every time I go to the scheduler to see if it's any better. This is a big issue as I run daily backups and this is one of the many tasks that is corrupted Come on Microsoft. You must be working on a straight forward fix for this. I don't want to have to start playing with the registery entries as I have seen discussed elsewhere.

Downgrade was back to Windows 7 for me...
    • Edited by Uptomen Monday, August 03, 2015 2:28 PM
    Monday, August 03, 2015 2:07 PM
  • Same issue here following rollback from 10 to 7. 62 tasks corrupted. URGENT to find a fix for this. Many of the affected tasks I did not create originally, so I cannot recreate or repair them. Also, as mentioned above, the error messages repeat every time the scheduler is re-opened.
    Monday, August 03, 2015 9:17 PM
  • I do have a system image from a couple of weeks ago. Is there a way just to take the affected items from that?
    Monday, August 03, 2015 9:24 PM
  • I have done just that. I have restored my Windows partition to July 29 (just before upgrading) and the scheduled task problems have all been fixed. Thanks for suggesting it!
    Monday, August 03, 2015 11:23 PM
  • I have done just that. I have restored my Windows partition to July 29 (just before upgrading) and the scheduled task problems have all been fixed. Thanks for suggesting it!

Greybat, how do you do that? I want to give that a try with mine but I'm unsure how to go about it...?
    Tuesday, August 04, 2015 7:36 AM
  • I don't think so. That's not what I did, anyway.

Actually, I didn't use a System Image backup to restore, although I do have one. I also use EaseUs ToDo Backup (free!) to do a daily, incremental backup of my Windows partition. (It does a full backup once a week, and incremental for the next 6 days). I used this to do a full partition restore back to July 29, which was the day before I upgraded to Win 10.

To actually do the restore, I created a bootable recovery disk, and ran that.... with some trepidation, I must admit, since, although I am somewhat paranoid about regular backups, I've never needed to restore from them on this scale before!

If you have a system image, you can either use a system recovery disk, if you have one, or you can use a Win 7 install DVD, and select "Repair your Computer" immediately after the Select Language screen. You will see an option to "Restore your computer using a system image.....".

Hope this helps, and good luck with it!

Graham

Tuesday, August 04, 2015 1:02 PM
  • I'm loosing hope. I have tried a restore point but this isn't working either (fails). Cant backup current files due to the task scheduler issue so don't want to run system image restore as I have files that are constantly changing and I would loose any changes since last system image which was too long ago to be any help for me.

I think I am going to have to try to run system restore in safe mode as it fails even if I turn off firewalls and virus protection. It's a total co#k up...

Tuesday, August 04, 2015 1:31 PM
  • Here's a thought, .....

Find the files (or folders containing the files) that you need to keep, and copy them somewhere else - DVD, other drive not part of system restore - e.g. external), other machine. Then do the system restore, then copy back the files that you have saved. Would that work for you?

I don't think System Restore will work, because I doubt that the rollback to Win 7 recovered the system restore points that you had before you upgraded.

From the "bolting the stable door after the horse has gone" dept(!): I ALWAYS separate my data to a separate disk partition (and drive, usually), and do not include the data in a System Image. I back all the data partitions independently of the system. I change the Windows default (C:\Users\name\MyDocuments) to a location on another drive. I do this with all Windows libraries - Docs, pics, music, tv and video. You can do this in Win7 through Library Properties in (File) Explorer. Its even easier in Win 8 and 10.

Anyway, good luck with it. Hope you get somewhere today!

Graham

Tuesday, August 04, 2015 1:54 PM
  • Actually, this may be even easier. Presumably your backup task(s) ran OK in Win10 before you rolled back. Just restore the old Win7 System Image, then recover your data files from whatever location you last backed them up to. At worst, you may only lose a day, and, if that is important, do what I suggested above.
    Tuesday, August 04, 2015 2:03 PM
  • I have NEVER been so upset and annoyed by a bloody pc before in my life!!!!! Got files manually backed up. Went to use restore for the system image I have.... The restore system wont restart properly. It wont load and gets stuck on the 'choose a language' screen. None of my input devices (including a different usb mouse I tried) will move the bloody cursor and the keyboard wont respond either. It looks like it isn't restarting properly as it has a grey background and isn't graphically correct. The same happens if I try from F8 on boot recovery option. I'm truly at my wits end. I desperately need this pc on a daily basis as it has the till system for my shop on it. I (stupidly it turns out) thought that keeping a fairly recent system image and performing daily backups would be sufficient to cover most eventualities but it seems Microsoft have proven me very wrong indeed. I am peed off beyond measure at this moment in time and I'm ready to throw the whole thing in the dustbin...
    Wednesday, August 05, 2015 6:45 PM
  • A few questions.....

1. Are you saying that you were unable to reach the recovery options from the Win 7 install disk, or did you manage to runthe revery from the system image and, following that, you can't use your computer any more?

2. If the former (that you couldn't run the recovery), can you still start your computer normally into "unrecovered" win 7? (I guess you have some sort of pc operating in order to post to this forum!)

3. If your problems are just getting to the recovery options, it sounds like your BIOS does not support wireless or usb connected keyboard/mouse. If that is the case, do you have a wired, ps/2 type keyboard that you can plug in temporarily?

4. Can you get into your BIOS settings? You may be able to activate USB support from there, so your connected keyboard and mouse may work. Normally, uou either hit Del or F2 during iniitial booting.

5. It sounds to me like the worst case is that you may be facing a clean re-install of Windows 7, and all installed apps. But on the bright side, you at least have backups of your critical data.

Good luck! I hope some of these solutions give you some - if different levels of - encouragement!

Wednesday, August 05, 2015 7:44 PM
  • Hi Graham, 1. I can load the PC normally. When choosing recover from system image it asks me to backup (which as we know doesn't currently work) so I skip that step and get to the usual request to restart. I then restart and the system image page doesn't load properly. I have looked at Google posts and see they it should be rendered in the usual win7 blue background and clear graphics. It gets left with a gravy background that has a slight swish on one side but isn't the full win7 quality more like an old windows 98 install. That's the screen that I can't get past. It asks the right question "choose a language" but I cannot move the cursor as it won't respond. 2. Yes I can. It will boot normally to the current state. 3. There is no ps/2 type connection. This is an Acer 'all in one' touchscreen jobby so only has sub ports 4. I can get to the BIOS. I will look in the morning to see if I can activate USB 5. If I do a clean install, would I then be able to use the system image and file backups to bring it to where I want it? Thanks for your response. I'm soooo frustrated with it at the moment. I have a limited knowledge but can easily follow instructions and learn fairly quickly. Mike
    Wednesday, August 05, 2015 8:00 PM
  • Mike,

What you are seeing is the correct way that Win 7 boots from the install DVD. Yes, it looks like Win98! That's good news.

New alternative...... since you have an Acer jobby (!), can you use its recovery tools to do a factory reset? Again, as long as you have your data backed up separately, there should be a way out of your problem. Can you call or contact Acer support for help?

It sounds like you are in the UK, and I am in Canada. I have to go out for the rest of the evening so will not be able to post again today. But I'll be interested to see how you get on in the morning!

Good luck, Graham

Wednesday, August 05, 2015 8:11 PM
  • Thanks Graham. I'll attempt to get the USB working in BIOS Would I be able to load the system image form a factory reset state? Mike
    Wednesday, August 05, 2015 8:26 PM
  • Mike,

In theory, a factory reset would return your computer back to the state it was in when it was first purchased. That would include any apps that were installed then (and any junkware that is of no interest to you!). You MIGHT be able to run recovery to restore the system image, but I think you are likely to run into the same problem with your mouse/keyboard not being accessible. The problem is that, to re-apply a system image, you have to be outside the drive that the image is being restored to. That is why you boot from an external DVD.

I really think your best bet is to contact ACER support and see what they recommend. Alternatively, if you haven't had the device for too long, contact the store where, I presume, you purchased it. Maybe it is still under some sort of guarantee? One of them may be able to help you create a recovery disk that contains the drivers that will get you keyboard and mouse working enough to initiate the recovery.

One other possibility, although it will leave your task scheduler still screwed up. There are other backup programs that do not rely on task scheduler to maintain their schedule. I use 2 of them. (As I said earlier, I am a bit paranoid about backups!) One is called Second Copy (by a UK company called Centered Systems), and it allows you to define profiles of exactly what files you want to back up, where you want them backed up to, and what schedule you want to apply. It costs a small amount, but I'm not sure how much. The other one I use is free, called ToDo backup by EaseUS. I use it for a partition backup of my system drive, and it does a full backup once a week, and differential backups every other day.

If your machine is running OK in Win 7, even without your backup tasks working, Second Copy could allow you to recreate the backup jobs and continue daily backups without using the task scheduler. It may help you keep running the till for your shop until such time as MS (hopefully) provides a solution to the corrupted tasks!

Once again, good luck!

Graham

Thursday, August 06, 2015 3:27 AM
  • Ok. So it looks like I am back up and running. It turns out that the USB ports on the side of the PC dont load up in that state. So, simply plugging the mouse into a rear USB port means my system image was loaded. I then chucked the files I copied yesterday back on and it seems to be on. Currently running sfc /scannow and we'll see where we are. Thanks for all your help Graham.
    Thursday, August 06, 2015 7:58 PM
  • Glad you got it fixed. It occurred to me after my last post that it wouldn't hurt to try other ports on your machine to see if they might work for your mouse.

I've posted in a few other places about the task scheduler issue on roll back. Probably, not too many people use it, so they don't notice the problem,but, if it happens to everyone who rolls back, what happens to the functionality that is lost from all the corrupted tasks! Ah, well!

Thursday, August 06, 2015 9:14 PM
  • I upgraded to Windows 10 but after failing to solve problems with OneDrive, Permissions, and Networking etc. I rolled back to Windows 7 (On two computers). This solved the foregoing issues but now the Task Scheduler is throwing off many error messages (corrupt or tampered with) and I cannot use windows backup. I have been able to create a new task (Defragment). Although I created system images and restore points prior to upgrade these now seem to be unavailable. I decided to do a repair install and attempted to get an up to date installation DVD (SP1) from the Microsoft Software Recovery site but apparently my product key is not for the English language!  I eventually did the install but this has not solved the Task Scheduler problem. I managed to contact Joelle B a Microsoft Answer Tech using online chat but she ended the session after I typed in my issue. I have now emailed Mr Nadella.

Wednesday, August 12, 2015 7:38 AM
  • I had exactly the same problem. After some scratching around, I found that there is a well understood way to fix the reverted system, through careful edits in the registry and System32. Rather than do this for each of the 20+ tasks that reversion corrupts, I wrote a program to do the job for me. You can find it, along with all the source and an explanation of what it does, here: https://repairtasks.codeplex.com/

I hope it helps!

Dijji

Architect, WF. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, August 14, 2015 1:17 PM
  • Ran your thing.  Fixed it.  Thank you very, very much.

Wonder if MS would ever bother?

I work in IT and it's just par for the course that MS could not be bothered to ensure that the roll back to W7 would work properly.  This is just such a fundamental thing (the scheduled tasks) that it's appalling that it wasn't discovered during the testing.

Once again, thanks.....

Friday, August 14, 2015 8:35 PM
  • I wish I had seen your post Dijji. For those still having trouble I fixed this in Windows 7 64 bit:

• Back up the registry
    • Make a note of the name of each corrupted task from the error messages that appears when Task Scheduler is opened
    • For those that relate to programs (e.g. CCleaner, Dropbox, Adobe Acrobat) uninstall and re-install the program.
    • For the others follow the procedure laid out in Microsoft Security Bulletin MS10-092. You must perform the steps while logged on as a local user who has administrative permissions. Although I could not see the tasks in the Task Scheduler Library the location of the corrupted task can be noted from %SYSTEMDRIVE%\Windows\System32\Tasks\<Corrupted_Task_Name>. In my case the %SYSTEMDRIVE% is C:\
    • Windows Backup Monitor and AutomaticBackup were in \Microsoft\Windows\WindowsBackup\
    • I found an additional step was necessary: If Task Scheduler displays a message that the task already exists when importing the old task, check if the task appears in %SYSTEMDRIVE%:\Windows\Tasks as Corrupted_Task_Name. Job and if so rename the file by appending “old” (e.g. Corrupted_Task_Name_Old. Job) and try again.

Whilst the procedure seems daunting at first it worked for me and my tasks are all restored.

Sunday, August 16, 2015 8:54 AM
  • Hi Dave

Thanks for your program.

I ran this and it fixed the majority of the errors.

It failed on the following

Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\PerfTrack\BackgroundConfigSurveyor failed with 'ERROR: The task XML contains a value which is incorrectly formatted or out of range.(2,8):version:1.5'
    Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\RAC\RacTask failed with 'ERROR: The task XML contains a value which is incorrectly formatted or out of range.(2,8):version:1.5'
    Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\Shell\WindowsParentalControls failed with 'ERROR: The task XML contains a value which is incorrectly formatted or out of range.(2,8):version:1.5'
    Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\Tcpip\IpAddressConflict1 failed with 'ERROR: The task XML contains a value which is incorrectly formatted or out of range.(2,8):version:1.5'
    Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\Tcpip\IpAddressConflict2 failed with 'ERROR: The task XML contains a value which is incorrectly formatted or out of range.(2,8):version:1.5'

Any ideas?

Trevor Battman

Wednesday, August 19, 2015 4:20 PM
  • Thank you so much, Dave, you little amazing program did the dirty job in an snap!

My problem came when i had to abort the upgrade several times due the fact some esset remains was into my system and when i finally was able to upgrade all goes perfect except the scheduler, all messed. Yes into windows 10 already.

Your program hunt around 65 loose tasks and  put them back at work.

Thanks again

Cheers

Ramon H.

• Edited by Ramon H Thursday, August 27, 2015 1:10 AM
    Thursday, August 27, 2015 1:07 AM
  • After upgrade my Windows 8.0 to Windows 10, and then downgrade it back to windows 8.0 (there's an option in backup&recovery),

Windows Task Scheduler was broken completely. Manual maintenance does not start ("Windows is unable to run automatic maintenance. The maintenance scheduler is unavailable."), after trying to navigate to task groups in mmc, I got plenty of empty groups and errors like

* "The task XML contains a value which is incorrectly formatted or out of range."

* "The task XML contains an unexpected node."

How can I fix that? I can reinstall some software to fix its tasks, but how I can fix system ones?

PREFACE: I'm italian and I use italian version of Windows and Excel so my english could be wrong and also Excel formulas could be wrong

I have the same issue. But the only restore point is after Windows 10 upgrade.

So I use this guide https://support.microsoft.com/kb/2305420 to restore some of the broken tasks.

I used Excel to generate some batch file to:

• move broken tasks from /windows/system32/tasks to a temp dir;
    • delete broken tasks from register with "REG DELETE" (Reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\..." /f)
    • restore broken tasks from xml files in temp dir with "Schtasks.exe /CREATE /TN "<name of the task>" /XML "<path of the task saved before>"

This is what I did.

1. Selected tasks files from C:\Windows\system32\Tasks that were broken when opening Scheduled Tasks
    2. Zipped them into a zip archive
    3. Extract them into a temp folder
    4. Copied the output of command "DIR /S /B" from temp folder
    5. Pasted into Excel column "tasks broken"
    6. Exported the "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tree" key to a file.
    7. I exported the "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\" key to another file.
    8. Copied and pasted content of Tree file into Excel column B in Sheet 2
    9. Add a counter in column A to maintain the sort order
    10. extract the Id of every task in column C with Formula: =IF(LEFT(B3;2)="Id";B3;"")
    11. extract the exadecimal Id in column D with formula: =MID(C2;5;38)
    12. retrieve and show only the title of broken tasks from Sheet1 in column E with formula: =IFERROR(VLOOKUP(MID(B2;90;FIND("]";B2)-90);Sheet1!$A$2:$A$58;1;FALSE);"")
    13. generate the batch command to delete tasks in Boot folder in column F: =IF(E2="";"";"Reg delete ""HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Boot\" & E2 & """ /f")
    14. generate the batch command to delete tasks in Logon folder in column G: =IF(E2="";"";"Reg delete ""HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Logon\" & E2 & """ /f")
    15. generate the batch command to delete tasks in Plain folder in column H: =IF(E2="";"";"Reg delete ""HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Plain\" & E2 & """ /f")
    16. generate the batch command to recreate broken tasks in column I: =SE(E2="";"";"Schtasks.exe /CREATE /TN """&E2&""" /XML ""<tasks temp folder>\" & E2 & """")

Only 16 tasks weren't restored due to two type of errors:

ERROR: File exist.

ERROR: The task XML contains a value malformed or out of range.
    (2,8):version:1.5

Tuesday, September 01, 2015 1:18 PM

I hope it helps!

Dijji

Fantastic.  Fixed all but six, five of which are tasks I can re-add myself.  THe last one was Office 2013 sync, which hopefully I can fix by reinstalling Office.
    Sunday, September 13, 2015 11:19 AM
  • WOW After updating to Windows 10 and finding that some of my programs would not work I reverted back to 7 pro. As you probably know the task scheduler stopped working along with windows backup and my antivirus software. I had to use a special utility to uninstall the antivirus, I found a work around for the windows backup by deleting some registry keys but the task scheduler was going to be more than I could handle. No way I could repair more than 28 corrupt files. I even performed a repair/upgrade install of windows 7 Pro with no luck. THANK YOU for this repair it was a life saver.
    Sunday, September 20, 2015 5:22 AM
  • I have no backup of tasks and using Windows 8.0. How can I fix these issues?

Task GenericSettingsHandler\Windows-Credentials\RetrySyncTask_for_S-1-5-21-1362700580-109389878-3269876079-1001 reported 'ERROR: The task XML contains a value which is incorrectly formatted or out of range.'
    Task Microsoft\Windows\MUI\Lpksetup reported 'ERROR: The task XML contains an unexpected node.'
    Task Microsoft\Windows\MUI\Mcbuilder reported 'ERROR: The task XML contains an unexpected node.'
    Scan completed: 3 problems found

Vyacheslav.

Wednesday, September 23, 2015 10:36 AM
  • Many Thanks Dijji

After hours of searching, your program worked a treat.

Many Thanks

Karljay

K TUEART

Sunday, October 11, 2015 1:55 PM
  • Many many thanks Dijji !!!

Great job !!

Adl Srl

Monday, October 19, 2015 1:22 PM
  • My system is 8.1 Pro 64bit - do you think your code will work on this platform?
    Thursday, November 19, 2015 11:02 AM
  • Dijji, in same boat. Windows 7 to 10 and back again. Here is what I have left over AFTER I ran your utility. Can you advise me where to go next? I am not super savvy on computer but willing to try, Jim

Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\AppID\EDP Policy Manager failed with 'ERROR: The task XML contains an unexpected node.(29,7):WnfStateChangeTrigger:'
    Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\AppID\SmartScreenSpecific failed with 'ERROR: The task XML contains an unexpected node.(28,7):MaintenanceSettings:'
    Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\CertificateServicesClient\AikCertEnrollTask failed with 'ERROR: The task XML contains an unexpected node.(27,7):WnfStateChangeTrigger:'
    Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\CertificateServicesClient\CryptoPolicyTask failed with 'ERROR: The task XML contains an unexpected node.(26,7):WnfStateChangeTrigger:'
    Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\CertificateServicesClient\KeyPreGenTask failed with 'ERROR: The task XML contains an unexpected node.(26,7):WnfStateChangeTrigger:'
    Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\CertificateServicesClient\SystemTask failed with 'ERROR: The task XML contains an unexpected node.(34,7):WnfStateChangeTrigger:'
    Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\CertificateServicesClient\UserTask failed with 'ERROR: The task XML contains an unexpected node.(34,7):WnfStateChangeTrigger:'
    Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\Customer Experience Improvement Program\KernelCeipTask failed with 'ERROR: The task XML contains an unexpected node.(33,7):MaintenanceSettings:'
    Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\Customer Experience Improvement Program\UsbCeip failed with 'ERROR: The task XML contains a value which is incorrectly formatted or out of range.(2,8):version:1.4'
    Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\Defrag\ScheduledDefrag failed with 'ERROR: The task XML contains an unexpected node.(26,7):MaintenanceSettings:'
    Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\Diagnosis\Scheduled failed with 'ERROR: The task XML contains an unexpected node.(29,7):MaintenanceSettings:'
    Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\DiskDiagnostic\Microsoft-Windows-DiskDiagnosticDataCollector failed with 'ERROR: The task XML contains an unexpected node.(27,7):MaintenanceSettings:'
    Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\Location\Notifications failed with 'ERROR: The task XML contains an unexpected node.(26,7):WnfStateChangeTrigger:'
    Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\Location\WindowsActionDialog failed with 'ERROR: The task XML contains an unexpected node.(26,7):WnfStateChangeTrigger:'
    Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\Maintenance\WinSAT failed with 'ERROR: The task XML contains an unexpected node.(27,7):MaintenanceSettings:'
    Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\MemoryDiagnostic\RunFullMemoryDiagnostic failed with 'ERROR: The task XML contains an unexpected node.(31,7):MaintenanceSettings:'
    Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\MUI\LPRemove failed with 'ERROR: The task XML contains an unexpected node.(26,7):MaintenanceSettings:'
    Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\PerfTrack\BackgroundConfigSurveyor failed with 'ERROR: The task XML contains a value which is incorrectly formatted or out of range.(2,8):version:1.5'
    Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\Power Efficiency Diagnostics\AnalyzeSystem failed with 'ERROR: The task XML contains an unexpected node.(27,7):MaintenanceSettings:'
    Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\RAC\RacTask failed with 'ERROR: The task XML contains a value which is incorrectly formatted or out of range.(2,8):version:1.5'
    Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\Registry\RegIdleBackup failed with 'ERROR: The task XML contains an unexpected node.(29,7):MaintenanceSettings:'
    Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\Shell\FamilySafetyMonitor failed with 'ERROR: The task XML contains a value which is incorrectly formatted or out of range.(2,8):version:1.5'
    Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\Shell\FamilySafetyRefresh failed with 'ERROR: The task XML contains a value which is incorrectly formatted or out of range.(2,8):version:1.5'
    Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\Shell\IndexerAutomaticMaintenance failed with 'ERROR: The task XML contains an unexpected node.(25,7):MaintenanceSettings:'
    Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\Shell\WindowsParentalControls failed with 'ERROR: The task XML contains a value which is incorrectly formatted or out of range.(2,8):version:1.5'
    Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\SystemRestore\SR failed with 'ERROR: The task XML contains an unexpected node.(26,7):MaintenanceSettings:'
    Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\Tcpip\IpAddressConflict1 failed with 'ERROR: The task XML contains a value which is incorrectly formatted or out of range.(2,8):version:1.5'
    Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\Tcpip\IpAddressConflict2 failed with 'ERROR: The task XML contains a value which is incorrectly formatted or out of range.(2,8):version:1.5'
    Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\Time Synchronization\ForceSynchronizeTime failed with 'ERROR: The task XML contains an unexpected node.(27,7):WnfStateChangeTrigger:'
    Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\Time Synchronization\SynchronizeTime failed with 'ERROR: The task XML contains an unexpected node.(26,7):MaintenanceSettings:'
    Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\QueueReporting failed with 'ERROR: The task XML contains an unexpected node.(34,7):WnfStateChangeTrigger:'
    Repair completed: 0 repairs succeeded; 31 repairs failed

Monday, November 30, 2015 7:12 AM
  • Thank you, Dijji -

After we figured out how to open the xml files, we were off to the races.  Thank YOU!  Thank YOU!  We may NEVER buy another Microsoft Windows product.  Apple here we come.  Windows 10 is a disaster!  At least, thanks to you, our Windows 7 appears to be running smoothly.

Monday, December 07, 2015 5:17 PM
  • If you have remaining broken tasks, standard Windows 7 tasks can be downloaded along with the Repair Tasks tool:

https://repairtasks.codeplex.com/downloads/get/1521717

Read the last part of the Repair Tasks documentation for more information:

https://repairtasks.codeplex.com/documentation

I could fix most of them, but I had to unplug 11 remaining broken tasks (that are specific to Windows 10 I suppose). My system looks fine now.

Friday, December 18, 2015 10:36 AM
  • It looks like the 11 tasks listed below are all set up by Windows 10 but have no Windows 7 equivalent, so that the appropriate action is indeed to unplug them. For details, see http://repairtasks.codeplex.com/discussions/648969

Microsoft\Windows\AppID\EDP Policy Manager
    Microsoft\Windows\AppID\SmartScreenSpecific
    Microsoft\Windows\CertificateServicesClient\AikCertEnrollTask
    Microsoft\Windows\CertificateServicesClient\CryptoPolicyTask
    Microsoft\Windows\CertificateServicesClient\KeyPreGenTask
    Microsoft\Windows\Location\WindowsActionDialog
    Microsoft\Windows\MemoryDiagnostic\RunFullMemoryDiagnostic
    Microsoft\Windows\Shell\FamilySafetyMonitor
    Microsoft\Windows\Shell\FamilySafetyRefresh
    Microsoft\Windows\Shell\IndexerAutomaticMaintenance
    Microsoft\Windows\Time Synchronization\ForceSynchronizeTime

Dijji

Sunday, December 20, 2015 2:53 PM
  • Dijji, you absolutely rock! I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro and hated it, so downgraded back to Windows 7 Ultimate and had multiple problems, including not being able to run Disk Defragmenter. I downloaded and ran your app, and it found over 50 problems and fixed some of them automatically. For most of the other 31 problems that remained I followed your steps to use the Windows7Tasks.zip folder you provide to fix all but the remaining 11 tasks from Windows 10 that you listed above.

Those I simply deleted from their respective C:\Windows\System32\Tasks folders and now have ZERO problems. Thanks again!!

• Edited by RobCStone Friday, January 08, 2016 8:15 AM
    Friday, January 08, 2016 8:13 AM
  • Thanks Dijji for your program which solved the problem on my computer (Win 7 to Win 10, back to Win 7 and again update to Win 10).

Stéphane

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 8:11 AM
  • This fixed my issue, many thanks.
    Saturday, May 14, 2016 8:35 AM
  • You are Brilliant! It worked. You deserve a medal.
    Saturday, June 11, 2016 2:32 AM
  • Dijji, you are a GENIUS!!! Thanks so much for the Repair Tasks program you wrote and freely shared with us. I stopped my Win10 half-way (when I discovered that somehow it'd started installing almost on its own, i.e., I don't recall clicking yes) and since then my MS Office Upload Center stopped working and was keeping me from opening Word files seamlessly. The fix for that was to go to the Task Scheduler and disable it there. When I tried to do that I found out that the Task Scheduler was all messed up. I was getting all the same errors that others have listed in this forum.

I went ahead and downloaded your program and followed the clearly laid out steps on your Walk-through page that you offered and it fixed all but the 11 repairs you mentioned were Windows 10 issues so we could ignore them. On the first scan of your program it showed 127 messed up files and when I clicked "repair" it repaired 96 of the 127. I then followed steps 10-14 in your
    Walk-through and an additional 20 files were repaired. I was left with the exact same 11 files you mentioned that were Windows 10 only tasks. 

Thanks so much for sharing this program with us. Much, much appreciated. 

• Edited by ogary Tuesday, June 14, 2016 5:51 AM
    Tuesday, June 14, 2016 5:50 AM

I hope it helps!

Dijji

Didn't help me at all. Part of the "repair" process is the app asks you where the backed up tasks are located. How the heck are you supposed to know this? There is no direction any where in this thread on how to find out. I ended up deleting all the corrupt task. However, in doing so, how do you reinstate them if you want? Where is the info on this?
    • Edited by Sammy888 Thursday, July 07, 2016 4:00 AM
    Thursday, July 07, 2016 3:58 AM
  • Sorry Sammy, I didn't notice your reply before.

As for me (topic starter),

• I copied broken tasks files I already have to a separate folder,
    • Took tasks files from another PC running the same OS version,
    • Filtered only System tasks from the set I took
    • Replaced my tasks with filtered tasks I took from other PC
    • Run a recovery method provided by Dijji

The solution provided is not complete, of course, Microsoft should perform downgrade operation on tasks lists while downgrading Windows 10, but thus solution works.

Vyacheslav

Wednesday, August 17, 2016 5:36 PM
  • This problem was fixed in the RTM release of RS1 / August

The problem was also fixed on TH1 and TH2 in the July cumulative update. Since updates are cumulative, installing the latest available monthly update will address this.
    Friday, September 23, 2016 6:31 PM
  • Thank you Dijji. Using your repairtasks utility, I was able to completely repair the corrupted task scheduler which had occurred after Windows 10 tried to install on my mother-in-laws PC and failed.  She had not even asked for Windows 10.  Same thing has happened on another relatives PC and lots of other people I know.

Microsoft really should have some social obligation to produce their own code to fix this, rather than just say "This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights." especially as there is ample evidence from numerous blogs, that Windows 10 has attempted to install on many peoples Windows 7 systems without request, and then failed leaving the task scheduler corrupted. One elderly relative of mine had not noticed that her regular backups were no longer working.

This really is equivalent to someone having hacked your PC. Since this has happened on such a wide scale, government fraud agencies should really be looking at this.

Tuesday, October 04, 2016 10:10 PM
  • Thanks Dave for doing what Microsoft either couldn't or wouldn't. You saved me a lot of time! You're a God!!!
    Monday, October 10, 2016 10:05 PM
  • This Broke my Defrag Utility as well.... Now I get the popup and clicking on the Remove Feature DOES NOT WORK!Remove Settings No Longer works!  Removing Windows 10 Broke the Defrag Utility.

James Murphy

Monday, November 14, 2016 1:33 PM
  • Same Problem.... I'm really UpSet with Microsoft.....
    I've been trying to fix this on 2 business machines for the better part of a year now and I'm NOT finding a solution.

James Murphy

Monday, November 14, 2016 1:34 PM
  • thanks worked for me  able to back up files now 
    Wednesday, January 18, 2017 10:57 PM