none
getting DHCP clients to register in dynamic DNS themselves RRS feed

• Question

• A customer has a DHCP server in domain A sending reservations to clients in domain B. This is working, but the customer wants to turn on secure dynamic updates in domain B. My understanding is this will stop the DHCP server in domain A doing dynamic DNS updates. As a work around, I am thinking, is it practical for the DHCP clients in domain B just to update the DNS themselves when they get the DHCP lease? Can this be configured?

Of course the other options is to move the DHCP scopes to domain B, but that is of course more work.

Tuesday, November 12, 2019 11:52 AM

Answers

• Hi ,

>>As a work around, I am thinking, is it practical for the DHCP clients in domain B just to update the DNS themselves when they get the DHCP lease? Can this be configured?

Did you mean that you want DomainB clients (get the lease from DHCP A) are registering themselves into DomainB DNS?

If yes, you could disable the DNS update on scope properties. Then DHCP clients in domain B will contact DNS server to update by themselves. And you will see the owner of A record is computer-name$.

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 3:50 AM