none
Running Server Cleanup Wizard gives "Reset Server Node" RRS feed

• Question

• I have WSUS (version 6.3.9600.18694) running on Windows
     Server 2012. Everything seems to be working fine except the Server Cleanup Wizard. Whenever I try to run it, it immediately fails giving me the "Reset Server Node" message. The event that shows up in the Application log is the following:

(Event ID: 7053)
    The WSUS administration console has encountered an unexpected error. This may be a transient error; try restarting the administration console. If this error persists, try removing the persisted preferences for the console by deleting the wsus file under %appdata%\Microsoft\MMC\.  Note:  I tried this and there was no change

System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception -- The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it

Source
    System.Windows.Forms

Stack Trace:
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.MarshaledInvoke(Control caller, Delegate method, Object[] args, Boolean synchronous)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.Invoke(Delegate method, Object[] args)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Wizards.ServerCleanup.ServerCleanupWizard.OnCleanupComplete(Object sender, PerformCleanupCompletedEventArgs e)

Any help in solving this problem would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Reez

Tuesday, December 18, 2018 2:58 PM

Answers

• Hello,

How many clients are there in your environment? And when was the last time you clean up the server? If it's a long time since the last maintenance and there are lot's of stuff need to clean up, the wizard would eat lots of CPU and memory. Sometimes, it causes the crash of console.

Reinstalling the WSUS with fresh WID or recreating the database would be the simplest way to get over it. But before them, we also could try the following steps to complete the cleanup job.

1> Increase the Wsuspool memory size.

• On your WSUS Server, launch the IIS Manager.
    • Open Application Pools.
    • Right-click 'WsusPool' and select 'Advanced Settings...'
    • Increase the WsusPool Private Memory limit x4 times, or set to 0 (unlimited).

2> Backup the WSUS database.

3> Re-index the WSUS database. It would help the cleanup go faster.

http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/6f8cde49-5c52-4abd-9820-f1d270ddea61

4> Then run the server cleanup wizard with only the top box checked (unused updates and updates revisions). This may require a few passes. If it times out, run it again until it completes, then run each of the other options one at a time. Lastly, make a “full pass” with all options checked.

5> If the wizard keeps timing out or crashing the console, run the following stored procedure in SQL Server Management Studio or SQL Server Management Studio Express. It would remove unused updates and update revisions on the SQL side.

DECLARE @var1 INT

DECLARE @msg nvarchar(100)

CREATE TABLE #results (Col1 INT)

INSERT INTO #results(Col1) EXEC spGetObsoleteUpdatesToCleanup

DECLARE WC Cursor

FOR

SELECT Col1 FROM #results

OPEN WC

FETCH NEXT FROM WC

INTO @var1

WHILE (@@FETCH_STATUS > -1)

BEGIN SET @msg = 'Deleting' + CONVERT(varchar(10), @var1)

RAISERROR(@msg,0,1) WITH NOWAIT EXEC spDeleteUpdate @localUpdateID=@var1

FETCH NEXT FROM WC INTO @var1 END

CLOSE WC

DEALLOCATE WC

DROP TABLE #results

References:

The complete guide to Microsoft WSUS and Configuration Manager SUP maintenance
    https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/configurationmgr/2016/01/26/the-complete-guide-to-microsoft-wsus-and-configuration-manager-sup-maintenance/

Getting past WSUS Cleanup Wizard time out, removing unnecessary updates
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/7b12f8b2-d0e6-4f63-a98a-019356183c29/getting-past-wsus-cleanup-wizard-time-out-removing-unnecessary-updates?forum=winserverwsus

Hope my answer could help you and look forward to your feedback.

Best Regards,
    Ray

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Reezie Reez Thursday, December 20, 2018 5:03 PM
    Wednesday, December 19, 2018 6:55 AM

All replies

• Are you performing the proper WSUS maintenance including but not limited to declining superseded updates, running the SQL Indexing script, and of course what you're trying to do which is run the Server Cleanup Wizard (SCW), etc.? There is way more than just the 'server cleanup wizard' that needs to be done.

https://www.ajtek.ca/wsus/how-to-setup-manage-and-maintain-wsus-part-8-wsus-server-maintenance/

Adam Marshall, MCSE: Security
    https://www.ajtek.ca
    Microsoft MVP - Windows and Devices for IT

Tuesday, December 18, 2018 4:51 PM
  • Hello,

How many clients are there in your environment? And when was the last time you clean up the server? If it's a long time since the last maintenance and there are lot's of stuff need to clean up, the wizard would eat lots of CPU and memory. Sometimes, it causes the crash of console.

Reinstalling the WSUS with fresh WID or recreating the database would be the simplest way to get over it. But before them, we also could try the following steps to complete the cleanup job.

1> Increase the Wsuspool memory size.

• On your WSUS Server, launch the IIS Manager.
    • Open Application Pools.
    • Right-click 'WsusPool' and select 'Advanced Settings...'
    • Increase the WsusPool Private Memory limit x4 times, or set to 0 (unlimited).

2> Backup the WSUS database.

3> Re-index the WSUS database. It would help the cleanup go faster.

http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/6f8cde49-5c52-4abd-9820-f1d270ddea61

4> Then run the server cleanup wizard with only the top box checked (unused updates and updates revisions). This may require a few passes. If it times out, run it again until it completes, then run each of the other options one at a time. Lastly, make a “full pass” with all options checked.

5> If the wizard keeps timing out or crashing the console, run the following stored procedure in SQL Server Management Studio or SQL Server Management Studio Express. It would remove unused updates and update revisions on the SQL side.

DECLARE @var1 INT

DECLARE @msg nvarchar(100)

CREATE TABLE #results (Col1 INT)

INSERT INTO #results(Col1) EXEC spGetObsoleteUpdatesToCleanup

DECLARE WC Cursor

FOR

SELECT Col1 FROM #results

OPEN WC

FETCH NEXT FROM WC

INTO @var1

WHILE (@@FETCH_STATUS > -1)

BEGIN SET @msg = 'Deleting' + CONVERT(varchar(10), @var1)

RAISERROR(@msg,0,1) WITH NOWAIT EXEC spDeleteUpdate @localUpdateID=@var1

FETCH NEXT FROM WC INTO @var1 END

CLOSE WC

DEALLOCATE WC

DROP TABLE #results

References:

The complete guide to Microsoft WSUS and Configuration Manager SUP maintenance
    https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/configurationmgr/2016/01/26/the-complete-guide-to-microsoft-wsus-and-configuration-manager-sup-maintenance/

Getting past WSUS Cleanup Wizard time out, removing unnecessary updates
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/7b12f8b2-d0e6-4f63-a98a-019356183c29/getting-past-wsus-cleanup-wizard-time-out-removing-unnecessary-updates?forum=winserverwsus

Hope my answer could help you and look forward to your feedback.

Best Regards,
    Ray

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Reezie Reez Thursday, December 20, 2018 5:03 PM
    Wednesday, December 19, 2018 6:55 AM
  • Ray,

Thank you for your response.  I actually did #1 a while back and have a good backup. 

I'm going to try #3, 4, and 5 that you recommend above. 

I also found a great Powershell script that removes Declined Updates, which I have 20,000 of and am running that as we speak. 

I appreciate all of the help! 

Thanks again,

Reezie

Thursday, December 20, 2018 5:06 PM