none
Can´t promote Server 2012 R2 to domain controller, get error 0xC000021a RRS feed

• Question

• I installed a fresh Server 2012 R2, no modifications, no updates. I used Server Manager to install Active Directory Services (together with DNS-Server). I used the promotion wizard to configure a brand new domain (first server in new domain). Everything went fine and the server was rebooted automatically.

A BSOD appeared, error no 0xC000021a and that´s it.

I´m working on this for serveral days now. I tried every hint I found in the forums, checked event viewer, checked log files, checked mini dump file, ran SFC /scannow and DISM RestoreHealth, not a single error.

The only thing that´s working: I can start the system to the last known good configuration. Checking services I see: DNS server is not installed and Active Directory is deactivated. Activating/starting AD services ends up with no error and AD is stopped immediately.

I have no more ideas and appreciate any help.

Monday, March 23, 2015 7:50 AM

Answers

• Hello Ahmed,

many thanks for your link to the appvirtualization forum, that did really help. I did some intensive testing based on the info of that thread and finally managed to solve the problem. Let me give you (and everyone else who is interested) a detailed description of my steps:

Let´s start with the hardware I´m using: Mainboard Asus, Intel Z97 chipset, NIC Intel i350, harddisk Samsung SSD 850 evo.

The SSD is the evildoer.

Standard Windows driver does activate the disks cache, this is, of course, already done during installation. As soon as one changes this setting it happens. Although Windows is still able to work, the system crashes on the next reboot. So, never change that setting.

Unfortunately, the domain controller promotion wizard does indeed change this setting, will say disables caching. I tried it several times. As long as I reenable caching before automatic reboot happens, the system starts normal and finishes the domain controller configuration, otherwise error 0xC000021a.

The best solution to that situation is, of course, to change the harddisk type. I have switched over to a Samsung 840 evo and now I can install, configure and test the domain controller within minutes.

As I have already written, this behaviour occurs every time one changes the cache setting. To me it looks like a firmware bug and not a specific error to Windows Server 2012.

Many thanks to you and everyone else who commented about that error.

Wednesday, March 25, 2015 8:37 AM
  • Hi Evan,

as far as my knowledge goes the critical thing is the changing of the cache setting. As You do it by using the GUI (device manager) any software (such as Windows promo wizard) can do so as well by using the API. I do not know of any simple way to block that.

My advice, change that drive whatever the cost maybe.

Regards, Michael

Wednesday, April 8, 2015 7:50 AM

All replies

• You can refer to that: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/156669?wa=wsignin1.0

I would recommend that you perform a clean boot and temporary disable all security software running on the server for testing (Better if you temporary remove them). Once done, reboot the server and check again.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Ahmed MALEK

My Website Link

My Linkedin Profile

My MVP Profile

Monday, March 23, 2015 9:48 AM
  • Hello Ahmed,

thanks for your quick answer.

I have already checked that kb article you suggested. I do not find any information / logfile on the system after the BSOD. In addition there is no other software installed on that machine. I have already stripped everything I know of.

To me it looks like the system crashes when the hdd driver is loaded (just a guess). I´m using a Samsung SSD, 120 GB. I have tried the Microsoft standard driver and Intel AHCI, no luck at all.

If I only had any idea where to log and look for the reason. Oh by the way, I tried already using different mainboards with Intel chipsets, that didn´t help either. Can you suggest anything else?

Monday, March 23, 2015 3:13 PM
  • Do you have Driver Signature enforcement enabled? If so go into advanced boot options (F8) and disable driver signature enforcement then try.
    Monday, March 23, 2015 3:19 PM
  • OK. Please the recommendations here: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/appvirtualization/en-US/ebc71806-37ab-49c4-9218-9964b30d958a/0xc000021a-during-server-2012-r2-essentials-setup?forum=winserveressentials

Maybe it helps.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Ahmed MALEK

My Website Link

My Linkedin Profile

My MVP Profile

Monday, March 23, 2015 3:31 PM
  • > A BSOD appeared, error no 0xC000021a and that´s it.

# for hex 0xc000021a / decimal -1073741286 :
      STATUS_SYSTEM_PROCESS_TERMINATED
    ntstatus.h
    # {Fatal System Error}
    # The %hs system process terminated unexpectedly with a
    # status of 0x%08x (0x%08x 0x%08x).
    # The system has been shut down.
    # 1 matches found for "0xc000021a"

The BSoD "should" tell you which process terminated and what the
    termination status of this process was.

Doesn't it do so?

Greetings/Grüße, Martin

Mal ein gutes Buch über GPOs lesen?
    Good or bad GPOs? - my blog…
    And if IT bothers me - coke bottle design refreshment (-:
    Monday, March 23, 2015 3:43 PM
  • Hi,

Any update about the issue?

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Regards.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, March 25, 2015 7:37 AM
  • Hello Ahmed,

many thanks for your link to the appvirtualization forum, that did really help. I did some intensive testing based on the info of that thread and finally managed to solve the problem. Let me give you (and everyone else who is interested) a detailed description of my steps:

Let´s start with the hardware I´m using: Mainboard Asus, Intel Z97 chipset, NIC Intel i350, harddisk Samsung SSD 850 evo.

The SSD is the evildoer.

Standard Windows driver does activate the disks cache, this is, of course, already done during installation. As soon as one changes this setting it happens. Although Windows is still able to work, the system crashes on the next reboot. So, never change that setting.

Unfortunately, the domain controller promotion wizard does indeed change this setting, will say disables caching. I tried it several times. As long as I reenable caching before automatic reboot happens, the system starts normal and finishes the domain controller configuration, otherwise error 0xC000021a.

The best solution to that situation is, of course, to change the harddisk type. I have switched over to a Samsung 840 evo and now I can install, configure and test the domain controller within minutes.

As I have already written, this behaviour occurs every time one changes the cache setting. To me it looks like a firmware bug and not a specific error to Windows Server 2012.

Wednesday, March 25, 2015 8:37 AM
  • Hi,

Glad the issue was solved by yourself. Thanks for your good sharing, i think it will help the people who have the similar issue.

Regards.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, March 26, 2015 9:03 AM
  • How did you take those steps. I have the exact issue.
    Monday, April 6, 2015 4:37 PM
  • Hello Ahmed,

The SSD is the evildoer.

Ahmed,

I was able to enable the disk caching however after the reboot i noticed it was disabled yet again. I have a 850 EVO but i cant change the drive or return it. Is there a way to keep it enabled?

Monday, April 6, 2015 5:16 PM
  • Hi Evan,

as far as my knowledge goes the critical thing is the changing of the cache setting. As You do it by using the GUI (device manager) any software (such as Windows promo wizard) can do so as well by using the API. I do not know of any simple way to block that.

My advice, change that drive whatever the cost maybe.

Regards, Michael

Wednesday, April 8, 2015 7:50 AM
  • Microsoft disables disk caching by default on any domain controller.  When you run dcpromo it disables the disk cache as part of the process.

There is a registry change to keep disk caching enabled on a standalone DC  (see below).  

I'll bet that if you add the registry change before running dcpromo that your 850 EVO's will work just fine.

Obviously the registry change is not supported by MS for standalone DC's as they are very anti-disk caching for DC's (but if your DC is a VM and the Hypervisor is running on 850 EVO's then it does not matter because a VM'd DC can't change the disk cache setting for the Hypervisor).  

In simple terms if the DC is a VM then the underlying Hypervisor may have disk caching enabled anyway and should work just fine, even with 850 EVO's.

Here is the registry change info.  USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Create the following registry key to keep disk caching active for a stand alone DC:

Path: HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\NTDS\Parameters
     Value: "DSA Heuristics"
     Type: REG_SZ
     Setting this to "1" (Note: the type MUST be a string type) prevents AD service from disabling write cache.

• Edited by c_h_u_c_k_o Monday, July 13, 2015 11:58 PM errors and formatting
    Thursday, July 9, 2015 8:19 PM
  • As a temporary fix, I enabled disk write cache following @ c_h_u_c_k_o answer using the registry fix, it worked.

Now, (finally !), Samsung released new firmware for the EVO 850 SSD. It is the EMT02B6Q, it replaces the old EMT01B6Q buggy firmware. I just installed it, and redisabled the disk cache writing, and it just worked!!

To install the new firmware, you must have installed Samsung Magician 4.7+. There you can update the firmware.
    • Proposed as answer by Darxis Sunday, September 27, 2015 8:23 PM
    • Edited by Darxis Sunday, September 27, 2015 8:55 PM
    Sunday, September 27, 2015 8:22 PM