Domain Computer added to 2012 Essentials Not Connecting RRS feed

• Question

• I used the "MS workaround" for allowing computers to add the connector without joining the 2012 essentials domain, and that worked for my devices not already part of  a domain.  However, I have a corporate laptop that i want to backup using essentials, so I used the fix on it, added the connect software, and all was good until I try to login using the launchpad.

I first get a meesage that the server appears offline for the alers piece and then for the lanchpad, it can not login or find the server.  From the same laptop I can connect to shares but no launchpad.

On the servers dashboard, it shows this laptop as being offline.

Please advise.

Sunday, November 11, 2012 4:09 PM

Answers

• I have the same symptoms as the OP: one of my Win7 Ultimate x64 clients can see the shares on the server (and also ping of course), but the Launchpad does not see the server (arrows at bottom left perpetually spin) and the server is reported as being offline. My other client joined the domain too and sees the server just fine -- backups are humming along.

Reboot of both server and client does not help. The sever reports the existence of the client but reports it as offline and shows blue warnings in some of the columns -- "Not available" for Update Status and Security Status.

I re-ran the Connector software from http://<serverIP>/connect. This produced an error message reporting not being able to connect to the server, which was interesting, and offering a Troubleshooter link. Unfortunately that says very little and actually routes us to this forum! However, looking around the link, I see the Log Collector mentioned by James. It is a .wssx file -- an add-in. Running it caused a very slow "validating the add-in" dialog which I thought had frozen. A dialog eventually appeared -- or maybe it did when I hit cancel (probably it was waiting to find the server and the time-out is excessive): "The add-in cannot be installed", and mentioning that a "required service cannot be contacted".

The Collector installation web page mentions you can also install it "manually" by renaming it .cab. After extracting the files, I ran the resulting .msi. Then I ran the Collector from the Start menu on the client having problems and will try to make sense of the logs -- there are a lot of files produced.

Meanwhile, I then removed the client from the server through the other client's Launchpad, uninstalled the Connector software on the client and re-ran the Connector installation. By its degree of progress, the installer on the client seemed to imply it could see the server (but we already know it can ping it at least), but ultimately it failed because it said the client was still "part of the network".

Hmm. Giving up tonight and will get back to it tomorrow!

Update: removed the client from the domain by switching it back to its original workgroup. This was a little scary since when I logged back into it now in the workgroup, my user profile was not restored to its exact settings (icons were large, and I couldn't seem to see my regular documents, etc.), though the wallpaper was restored. But then running the Connector software via http://<server IP>/connect, I reconnected back to the domain and the profile was intact as before.

At this point, everything seemed to be working -- client could see server and vice versa, and a backup even started (which I manually canceled). I remembered now that this is what had happened when I first set it up above -- it all seemed to be working. But here's the thing: when you restart the client and log back in, *now* it can't see the server. And I'm now back in the state that started this post (and the OP).

This is sounding to me like one (or more?) services is not automatically starting on reboot, since everything else seems to work just fine and it does all work that first time on installation. I'll look at the services later, unless someone else gets to this first...

• Edited by stansley_exMS Monday, November 12, 2012 3:41 PM Further information
    • Marked as answer by James Xiong Tuesday, November 27, 2012 8:48 AM
    Monday, November 12, 2012 9:36 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I think you need to verify the network connection between server and affected clients. On the affected client, please ping the server to verify the network connection.

At the same time, have you tried to visit the connect website (Windows Server 2012 Essentials Log Collector to check the logging about client Lauchpad logging.

Regareds,

James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

Monday, November 12, 2012 3:09 AM
  • I have the same symptoms as the OP: one of my Win7 Ultimate x64 clients can see the shares on the server (and also ping of course), but the Launchpad does not see the server (arrows at bottom left perpetually spin) and the server is reported as being offline. My other client joined the domain too and sees the server just fine -- backups are humming along.

Reboot of both server and client does not help. The sever reports the existence of the client but reports it as offline and shows blue warnings in some of the columns -- "Not available" for Update Status and Security Status.

I re-ran the Connector software from http://<serverIP>/connect. This produced an error message reporting not being able to connect to the server, which was interesting, and offering a Troubleshooter link. Unfortunately that says very little and actually routes us to this forum! However, looking around the link, I see the Log Collector mentioned by James. It is a .wssx file -- an add-in. Running it caused a very slow "validating the add-in" dialog which I thought had frozen. A dialog eventually appeared -- or maybe it did when I hit cancel (probably it was waiting to find the server and the time-out is excessive): "The add-in cannot be installed", and mentioning that a "required service cannot be contacted".

The Collector installation web page mentions you can also install it "manually" by renaming it .cab. After extracting the files, I ran the resulting .msi. Then I ran the Collector from the Start menu on the client having problems and will try to make sense of the logs -- there are a lot of files produced.

Meanwhile, I then removed the client from the server through the other client's Launchpad, uninstalled the Connector software on the client and re-ran the Connector installation. By its degree of progress, the installer on the client seemed to imply it could see the server (but we already know it can ping it at least), but ultimately it failed because it said the client was still "part of the network".

Hmm. Giving up tonight and will get back to it tomorrow!

Update: removed the client from the domain by switching it back to its original workgroup. This was a little scary since when I logged back into it now in the workgroup, my user profile was not restored to its exact settings (icons were large, and I couldn't seem to see my regular documents, etc.), though the wallpaper was restored. But then running the Connector software via http://<server IP>/connect, I reconnected back to the domain and the profile was intact as before.

At this point, everything seemed to be working -- client could see server and vice versa, and a backup even started (which I manually canceled). I remembered now that this is what had happened when I first set it up above -- it all seemed to be working. But here's the thing: when you restart the client and log back in, *now* it can't see the server. And I'm now back in the state that started this post (and the OP).

This is sounding to me like one (or more?) services is not automatically starting on reboot, since everything else seems to work just fine and it does all work that first time on installation. I'll look at the services later, unless someone else gets to this first...

• Edited by stansley_exMS Monday, November 12, 2012 3:41 PM Further information
    • Marked as answer by James Xiong Tuesday, November 27, 2012 8:48 AM
    Monday, November 12, 2012 9:36 AM
  • This isn't the same issue as mine.  I have a corporate laptop I take home that is a memeber of my corporate network at work.  When using it at home it obviously allows be to login with cached creds.  With Home Server v1 I could add the connector software on this laptop and get it backed up nightly by my home server just like anyother device.  With 2012 Esssentials I used the "skipdomain" workaround and successfully installed the new client connector.  On the Server it has an entry for this laptop but shows it as offline.  When I try to login with launch Pad it tells me that the server is not found. (server appears offline)  Weird because I do have an entry under device under home server like I said. 

So.  The point here is, I believe that my issue is with this corporate laptop belonging to my company domain.  Which I am not about to change obviously.  But this whole thing seem rediculous cause I should be able to add devices to 2012 Essentials and back them up no matter if they belong to another domain or not.  Functionality that existed before in v1.

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 8:34 PM