none
ACPI.Sys uses 15% of my cpu constantly RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I own a Toshiba p50t laptop and recently I replaced the internal HDD with an SSD (Samsung) then I purchased an Internal caddy and removed my old optical drive and chucked in the new internal caddy with my old HDD inside in it. Shortly after this i noticed that my CPU fan is constantly on and the laptop overheats. I checked in the task manager and noticed that the cpu usage is 15% even if no application is running. After some google-ing i downloaded some kind of resource monitor which broken down the "System" and showed me that the ACPI.sys is using my CPU.

I suspected that this extra hard drive might be the culprit but could not prove it. After several reinstalls, experiments I realised that as soon as the second HDD goes in my CPU utilisation jumps to 15%. I also realized that if i remove the HDD and the caddy too the problem goes away. I have also tested that if i plug in the HDD via the USB port using an USD to SATA converter the cpu stays 0% or 1% when the laptop is idle.

thus i am pretty certain that for some reason the internal hdd caddy is causing the issue.

Could you please help me to fix it, i am not too sure what do i have to do - install new drivers, fine tune setting?

Any help is much appreciated

Cheers

csorlala

{removed}

Saturday, January 9, 2016 9:05 AM

Answers

• I guess you should just not use that caddy.

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag Windows IT-PRO (MS-MVP)

• Proposed as answer by jim-xu Tuesday, January 19, 2016 2:30 AM
    • Marked as answer by Michael_LSModerator Wednesday, January 20, 2016 9:26 AM
    Tuesday, January 12, 2016 2:43 PM

All replies

• If there is a driver associated with the caddy have you tried removing then re-installing it?

In order to diagnose your problem we need to run Windows performance toolkit the instructions for which can be found in this wiki

If you have any questions feel free to ask

Please run the trace when you are experiencing the problem

Saturday, January 9, 2016 4:06 PM
  • Hi there,

thanks a lot for the prompt reply.

i have created the log and uploaded to my onedrive - please see the link.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=80D5EC3B5866CF32!737&authkey=!AAT7jMLs-4pj28Y&ithint=file%2czip

In the meantime i have noticed that if i change power settings the CPU load due to ACPI.sys changes as well. I modeled this in the file. At the 35sec mark out of the 60 sec capture i changed my power setting from Toshiba ECO to Balanced and then to High performance. Hopefully you will also see that the cpu load moved from around 6% up to 15-17%.

Let me know what else i can contribute.

And once again many thanks for your help

Cheers

csorlala

Saturday, January 9, 2016 11:46 PM
  • Unfortunately The process driving acpi.sys is not named (rather it is named unknown).  ACPI.sys stays the same (~11%) throughout but I can see where you have changed power plans (see snip).  One thing of note is that video drivers (directX) often causes acpi.sys to recursively launch multiple copies so you may want to completely remove the Nvidia driver and install the newest driver available.  I would also run a system file check to find the state of the OS.

Please run a system file check (SFC) & DISM  if you are on win 8 or higher

All instructions are in our Wiki article below...
    Should you have any questions please ask us.

Given the unknown label it is most likely a 3rd party driver and if your HD caddy has a driver I would remove and re-install it

Monday, January 11, 2016 1:26 AM
  • Hi there,

thanks a lot. I did one more test. I pulled out the caddy and started the recording with no other application running. 1-2% of CPU use - plugged in the caddy and immediately 15% cpu with a 40-50Mb/s hard drive use. However the harddrive load drops to zero after 2mins or so and then stays zero, but the CPU load just stays elevated at around 15%.

Please find the new recorded files

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=80D5EC3B5866CF32!741&authkey=!ALaH9X79HpFJbaA&ithint=file%2czip

In relation to the caddy - there was no driver per the description it is plug and play. (Have to admit i ordered it off ebay, though i choose the version which was sold several hundreds time.)

I will run those checks and see how that goes.

Just one more thing, not too sure whether this has any impact. On the old HDD is still have a copy of Windows 8, as that is what came with the laptop and i just used the software of the SSD to mirror that hard drive. To reduce issues i renamed the windows folder on that hard drive to Windows_original.

Many thanks for your help once again.

cheers

csorlala

Tuesday, January 12, 2016 7:29 AM
  • PS: i run the spc no integrity violations - I note that OS is on my SSD and not on the old HDD with the caddy.
    Tuesday, January 12, 2016 8:05 AM
  • I guess you should just not use that caddy.

• Proposed as answer by jim-xu Tuesday, January 19, 2016 2:30 AM
    • Marked as answer by Michael_LSModerator Wednesday, January 20, 2016 9:26 AM
    Tuesday, January 12, 2016 2:43 PM
  • Hi there,

I managed to get another caddy and as you suggested all problems went away.

Thanks a lot once again

Cheers

Lajos

Saturday, February 13, 2016 1:08 AM
  • Thank you very much

I had replaced my laptop HDD with an SSD and got the same issue.

But I replaced the SSD on place of HHD using that caddy only temporary for data migration.

After that I decided not to use CD-drive as It obviously not in use anymore and weights more.

So I just kept the empty caddy in the laptop.

Next I started to investigate that high CPU load issue , i used performance kit and nailed it down to ACPI.sys which is obviously brought me here how surprised I was after pulling of of that empty caddy :-)

Best wishes!

• Edited by OopsAiee Saturday, December 8, 2018 8:37 AM correcting my terrible writings to sonething less terrible
    Saturday, December 8, 2018 8:36 AM