none
DNS - Delegations, Stub Zones and Conditional Forwarding - Need Detailed Explanation RRS feed

• Question

• I am currently studying for the 70-642 and having one heck of  a time understanding the difference between delegations, stub zones and conditional forwarders.

It's my basic understanding that all three are methods used on different DNS servers to resolve names that are hosted on zones on other DNS servers.  Am I correct in assuming that delegations and stub zones are ways for parent servers to resolve name queries of DNS hosts in child domains which are hosted in zones.  It's my understanding that the way a delegation works is that the child zone is setup on a DNS server that will be hosting that child zone.  Then the dns server hosting the parent zone has a new delegation created by right clicking the parent domain and choosing this option.  The host record A and and ns record pointing to the dns servers authoratative for this child domain must be created manually on the parent server.  Are the records created on the parent server within the parent domain or within the delegated domain, that was confusing me.

Stub zones I'm actually less sure of but I know that they update the parent servers if the IPs of the child domain auth DNS servers change they are AD integrated.  Are stub zones setup on the parent or child server?  This is unclear.

I've read much about delegations and stub zones from different sources but am still very confused so I have some questions that I'd be eternally grateful if someone could answer thoroughly and with examples?

1.  Are stub zoens and delegations used differently when AD integrated vs non Ad integrated and why would you have Ad integrated vs. non-integrated in the first place?

2.  Why would you use stub zones over delegations and vice versa?  Are they ever used in conjunction for the same zones?  What are some real world examples of different scenarios?

3.  How does a client in a child domain resolve a DNS hostname in a parent domain.  Is it through DNS devolution by dropping tags until only the hostname and parent domain are left and it resolves?

4.  How do hosts in different child domains resolves dns name queries for hosts in other child domains.  Do they go through the parent server?  Do they already have copies of zones locally that point them directly to the DNS servers authorative for the domain that includes the host being queried?

I know this is a lot to explain but I'd greatly appreciate it if anyone has the time.  To me the AD integrated vs non AD-integrated is throwing me off.

Thanks

Monday, June 25, 2012 2:02 PM

Answers

All replies