none
Hyper-V Install Fails RRS feed

• Question

• I am unable to install Hyper-V.  It appears to install fine after which it tells me a reboot is needed.

When the machine comes up again, it says configuring updates but then reboots again.  This happens again after which I see a message saying that the installation failed three times and that it won't try it again.  I only asked it to try once.

I can't find any real clues as to why it failed.  In the setup log all I see is:

Installation succeeded. A restart is required.
    Roles:
    Hyper-V
    Warning: You must restart this server to finish the installation process.

(three times).

C:\Windows\Logs\ServerManagerInstallationLog.html points to  C:\Windows\Logs\ServerManager.log.  I don't see anything illuminating, just messages such as:
    3248: 2008-10-20 20:21:24.217 [Virtualization]  DiscoverAndCreate: 'VirtualizationRole' is not installed.

The computer is a Phenom 9600 x4 on a GA-MA78GM-S2H.  Virtualization is turned on in the bios.  AMD's AMD-V_Hyper-V_Compatibility_Check_Utility says I'm good to go.

I had installed Hyper-V successfully before I tried installed Active Directory.  I solved my AD problems but in the mean time, I had re-installed Windows 2008 several times and had waited to install Hyper-V.  I don't think AD precludes the installation of Hyper-V.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyone have any help for me?

Tuesday, October 21, 2008 2:01 AM

Answers

• In my case, it was hardware mirroring (raid1) on the AMD/ATI SB700 SATA controller.

When I switched the SATA mode from RAID to AHCI, I was able to install.  But then I had to use software mirroring for the redundancy I wanted.
    • Marked as answer by Brian Borg Thursday, February 5, 2009 11:47 PM
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 11:47 PM

All replies

• If I start over, what order should I install if I want both Hyper-V and Active Directory?

Should I install Hyper-V on Server Core and put the Domain Controller on a virtual machine?

Or is it better to install a Full Server, then Hyper-V and then Active Directory?
    Wednesday, October 22, 2008 2:39 AM
  • Hello,

I would plan to have only Hyper-V installed on the host system, both for performance control and stability. 

Nate L
    Wednesday, October 22, 2008 4:03 AM
  • If you are planning on running this in a production environment, I would recommend that you install only Hyper-V on the Host OS. Then I would install AD in a VM.

If you are planning on doing this for a test network, I would install Hyper-V first and then AD. I have been able to get this to work myself. Make sure that you install KB950050 to get the RTM version of Hyper-V before you do any other steps.
    Wednesday, October 22, 2008 5:17 AM
  • Did the Server Manager say anything?

MVP Setup and Deployment - http://www.forum-microsoft.org
    Wednesday, October 22, 2008 10:00 AM
  • Kazer said:

Did the Server Manager say anything?

MVP Setup and Deployment - http://www.forum-microsoft.org

No, the only thing I see in the event log are the three messages in a row in the setup log about restart required.  If I dig deeper, and look for "Error" events from "Servicing" I see a bunch of 4375 events, such as:
    Log Name:      System  
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Servicing  
    Date:          10/20/2008 1:26:16 AM  
    Event ID:      4375  
    Task Category: None  
    Level:         Error  
    Keywords:      Classic  
    User:          N/A  
    Computer:      PhenomServer08.Borg.local  
    Description:  
    Windows Servicing failed to complete the process of setting package Microsoft-Hyper-V-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.0.6001.18000 () into Installed(Installed) state  
    Event Xml:  
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">  
      <System> 
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Servicing" Guid="{bd12f3b8-fc40-4a61-a307-b7a013a069c1}" EventSourceName="Microsoft-Windows-Servicing" /> 
        <EventID Qualifiers="49152">4375</EventID> 
        <Version>0</Version> 
        <Level>2</Level> 
        <Task>0</Task> 
        <Opcode>0</Opcode> 
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords> 
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2008-10-20T06:26:16.000Z" /> 
        <EventRecordID>37138</EventRecordID> 
        <Correlation /> 
        <Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" /> 
        <Channel>System</Channel> 
        <Computer>PhenomServer08.Borg.local</Computer> 
        <Security /> 
      </System> 
      <UserData> 
        <CbsPackageChangeState xmlns="http://manifests.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/windows/setup_provider">  
          <PackageIdentifier>Microsoft-Hyper-V-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.0.6001.18000</PackageIdentifier> 
          <ReleaseType> 
          </ReleaseType> 
          <PackageState>Installed</PackageState> 
          <PackageAssembly>Microsoft-Hyper-V-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.0.6001.18000</PackageAssembly> 
          <Operation>Installed</Operation> 
          <OperationCompleted>True</OperationCompleted> 
          <ErrorCode>0x800f0826</ErrorCode> 
          <RebootOption>False</RebootOption> 
          <MissingElements> 
          </MissingElements> 
        </CbsPackageChangeState> 
      </UserData> 
    </Event> 

Thanks, Nate and Brent.
    I guess I'll start over with just Hyper-V on the Host.
    Is there any reason to not make it a Server Core installation?

Brian
    Wednesday, October 22, 2008 3:47 PM
  • Hi everyone!

I have the exact same symptoms as bnborg describes in the beginning of this thread. I can't seem to find any solution to this. Did anyone find the root cause of this or how should i interpret this?

Hope someone can point me in some kind of direction, I have tried the following:

* rebooting (of course, the installation prompts me to do that three times)
    * checking the event log (nothing as far as I can see)
    * checking BIOS-settings
    * installing without selecting NIC for virtual network

Nothing of the above have helped...

Best regards

/Joakim
    Best Regards - Joakim Schütt
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 7:45 PM
  • In my case, it was hardware mirroring (raid1) on the AMD/ATI SB700 SATA controller.

When I switched the SATA mode from RAID to AHCI, I was able to install.  But then I had to use software mirroring for the redundancy I wanted.
    • Marked as answer by Brian Borg Thursday, February 5, 2009 11:47 PM
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 11:47 PM
  • AHA!

So that could be it? I will try it out immediatley and report back here!

/Joakim
    Friday, February 6, 2009 11:06 AM
  • Well! It did the trick! I changed the AHCI-settings from Disabled to Enabled and the started the server again. It did reboot automatically during the startup and when I could log on I had the Hyper-V role available!

GREAT!

Now is just the question why my network card is down? I have to read up on how this works in Hyper-V

Thanks!

/Joakim
    Friday, February 6, 2009 11:50 AM