There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request. RRS feed

• Question

• System logs

Service control manager EventID: 7000

The service failed to start due to the following error:

The service did not start due to a logon failure.

Service control manager EventID: 7038

The service was unable to log on as with the currently configured password due to the following error:

There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request.

Info from security Audit (failed event)

Logon Type:                                          5

Failure Information:

Failure Reason:                      An Error occurred during Logon.

Sub Status:                             0x0

Issue:

A service configured to run on a domain account doesn’t start automatically upon a server reboot and logs above errors.

Important: A manual start of the same service is working.

Note: logon type is 5 i.e. for a service/scheduled task

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 9:33 AM

Answers

• Hi,

According to your post,  you referred that there was a server reboot. Could you please tell me which server was rebooted? How many domain controllers are in you domain?

If this server was the only domain controller in the domain, then it is normal that you got the Event ID 7000 and Event ID 7038 logged in your system.

Because when you reboot a domain controller, the domain controller will be offline for a short time. This means before the reboot completed, users or services which try to logon to the domain cannot connect to the domain controller.

As you mentioned, a manual start of the same service worked. That could be caused of that the domain controller was back online, so it could process the logon actions.

I suggest you restart the service. After you restart the service, the automatic logon should be successful.

If the method above couldn’t solve your issue, please feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,

Amy Wang
    • Marked as answer by Amy Wang_ Wednesday, August 28, 2013 7:43 AM
    Wednesday, August 21, 2013 7:49 AM

All replies

• Refer following

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc756344(v=ws.10).aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc756341(v=ws.10).aspx

If you have used a domain service account to run a service, make sure the account is not locked out or it's password is changed.

Try re-adding the account with valid password. Also, make sure that account has log on rights on the machine.

Regards, Santosh

I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here, are my own and posted AS IS.

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 10:01 AM
  • Already tried those links. As well as the credentials re-enter. What's being missed here is, manual start of the service works. So not an account issue (lock or incorrect password)
    Tuesday, August 20, 2013 10:08 AM
  • Reboot the machine and try a different account. Compare the results.

Regards, Santosh

I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here, are my own and posted AS IS.

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 10:40 AM
  • Hi,

According to your post,  you referred that there was a server reboot. Could you please tell me which server was rebooted? How many domain controllers are in you domain?

If this server was the only domain controller in the domain, then it is normal that you got the Event ID 7000 and Event ID 7038 logged in your system.

Because when you reboot a domain controller, the domain controller will be offline for a short time. This means before the reboot completed, users or services which try to logon to the domain cannot connect to the domain controller.

As you mentioned, a manual start of the same service worked. That could be caused of that the domain controller was back online, so it could process the logon actions.

I suggest you restart the service. After you restart the service, the automatic logon should be successful.

If the method above couldn’t solve your issue, please feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,

Amy Wang
    • Marked as answer by Amy Wang_ Wednesday, August 28, 2013 7:43 AM
    Wednesday, August 21, 2013 7:49 AM
  • Hi Amy,

Thanks for the response and sorry for the delay, I was out cold.

By the way, the rebooted server is the one where the services are hosted. Not the domain controller.

The domain is a Single forest but multi domain, with more than 1 domain controller for each domain.

Just the automated service startup doesn't work. However, it works when service is restarted or initiated manually.

Tuesday, September 3, 2013 9:28 AM
  • Hi Capt.sparrow,

Thank you for getting back to me. I hope that you are getting better now.

You mentioned that after the service was restarted the automated service worked, which means that the automatic logon process is successful now, right?

If the Event ID 7000 and 7038 only logged for a short time, and everything worked just fine after that ,then the issue was resolved.

If the automatic logon is still unsuccessful, please run sc query command on the server to get specific information about the service status and configuration.

Here are some links below that could be useful for you:

Error message when you try to log on to a Windows Server 2008-based RODC: "There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949048

Sc query

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd228922(v=WS.10).aspx

Event ID 7000: Service Start Failure

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/13506.event-id-7000-service-start-failure.aspx

I hope this helps!

Best Regards,

Amy Wang
    Friday, September 6, 2013 8:35 AM