none
Remote Desktop can't connect to the remote computer RRS feed

• Question

• After installing an update for QuickBooks it needed to restart the computer. After doing so I could no longer connect to this computer via remote desktop. This computer is a workstation in an Active Directory domain. Remote Desktop Access is controlled by Group Policy. All other Windows computers in this domain can be accessed via Remote Desktop. This computer can also remote desktop to these other computers. On the settings, Remote Desktop is set to "Allow connections from computers running any version of Remote Desktop." I've verified the Remote Desktop port is enabled in the firewall. I've taken down the firewall completely. I powered off and back on the computer several times. I've run 'gpupdate /Force'. This computer can access the network, including shared drives, can access the Internet and can Remote Desktop to other computers. This computer can ping other computers, but other computers cannot ping it. Other computers can no longer mount this computer's shared drive. In case there was some update-culprit lurking that didn't take effect until I restarted, I rebooted other workstations in the office to see if the same thing would happen. It didn't. Only this computer.

I've spent hours on this and search for all kinds of solutions. I've out of ideas. Anybody?

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 4:15 PM

All replies

• After two days, still no luck. I've rebooted the AD/DC server. I'm thinking of image-restoring this computer to the day before this happened.

Does anyone have any ideas of things I can look at or try?

Thursday, July 18, 2019 5:03 AM
  • I have the same question.

I figured out, that only when i connect from a computer which had the last widows 10 update it's unable to connect, from other computers i can connect.

Is this the same case by you?

Monday, August 12, 2019 2:27 PM
  • Hi,

can you please share the system eventlogs (warnings,errors) to look on the issue.

Monday, August 12, 2019 2:30 PM
  • Hi,

What do you mean eventlog? i got the following error:

This computer can't connect to the remote computer.

Try connecting again. If the problem continues, contact the owner of the remote computer or your network administrator.

Friday, August 16, 2019 2:20 PM
  • Can anyone help me with this?
    Wednesday, August 21, 2019 1:20 PM
  • This thread fixed it for me: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/e60cd121-6179-400f-ae62-48d3b4a18b92/remote-desktop-access-suddenly-stopped-working-on-one-domain-workstation?forum=w7itprogeneral#e60cd121-6179-400f-ae62-48d3b4a18b92
    Tuesday, August 27, 2019 12:16 PM
  • Thanks @jmarkfoley

I checked out you link, we are the same that this happened after a quickbooks update, but my situation is a little different.

I'm talking about a 2012 R2 server, and all the windows 10 Computer with the latest updates are unable to connect, and the older windows 7 and not updated windows 10 are able to connect.

Can anyone help with this?

Tuesday, August 27, 2019 9:59 PM
  • And, we are even different in more ways. Perhaps this should be a separate post, but I'll try here in case some RDC genius can sort it all out. I just image-restored a Windows 7 computer (different than the one in my OP) and now cannot connect to it via Remote Desktop. I have confirmed that the Remote Desktop Services service is running and set to automatic, RDC is enabled. Network discovery is on. The computer is able to RDC to all other domain computer and can map network drives from other computers. Not only can I not RDC to this computer, but neither can I ping it or access its shared C: drive from other computers. I've tried every remedy I've found on the net. This is an image restore from the end of the previous day. Should be identical, yet the day before I could access this computer via Remote Desktop.

Ideas?

Wednesday, August 28, 2019 2:31 PM
  • Well, my RDC connection suddenly started working. I did nothing. Actually, this is not the first time this has happened. At least 3 time I can recall over the past year, after image restoring a computer, RDC did not work for 3 to 4 days, then started working. I'm suspecting some kind of expired kerberos ticket or such-like from restoring a previous version. I'll post a question on this elsewhere related to AD/DC stuff and leave Dave La's sub-thread standing.
    Thursday, August 29, 2019 10:11 AM