WDS - PXE No reply from DHCP port 4011

Question

• Greetings.

I have two questions.

First, we have installed a WDS server on a server 2008 enterprise platform, we made a image uploaded it to the server, worked like charm. Now... we used one of the newer HP laptops for a test deployment, again.. worked like a charm. Then we reconfigured the image and deployed it again, then.. nothing. The problem is im getting an timeout on the PXE boot which is kinda odd since it worked before, we switched the computer out with a IBM computer, went straight thru the PXE and the installation.

Our WDS server is configured to "pause" the session for unknown clients and wait for administrator approval which also works great, but could there be some where in the AD/WDS is ignoreing the request? I have wipped all the "rejected clients" from the rejected client list so that shouldn´t be the problem. It is like its ignoreing clients that has contacted it before (3 clients so far and it might be raiseing) but again the funny part is there was no problem the first two or three times.

Second question is, does anyone know if it is possible to force a F12 network boot from a client? so you just have to push the button once and not twice (one push for the boot, and the second push after the admin has confirmed the client)?

Thanks alot!

Thursday, May 27, 2010 12:22 PM

Answers

• I found the problem.

run WDSUTIL /delete-AutoAddDevices /devicetype:approveddevices

Or! stop WDS service and delete all the files in $/RemoteInstall/mgmt/

Start the service (WDS will make the files again)

The problem is a AD DS replication error. The "ESEtmp" should be automatically deletede every 24 hours but somehow it isn´t.

• Marked as answer by JawsABK Tuesday, June 01, 2010 11:59 AM
    Tuesday, June 01, 2010 11:59 AM

All replies

• Hi,

How did you “reconfigure the image and deploy it again”?

What was the exact wording of the error message?

If you cannot access the boot image selection page, the most common causes for this issue are:

1.    A boot image has not been added to the server. Use the management tools to add the Boot.wim from the Windows Server product DVD to the server.

2.    The services for Windows Deployment Services have not been started. To fix this, run WDSUTIL /start-server to start all services. Examine the output of the command and the Windows Application event log for error messages indicating service start-up failures.

3.    The necessary firewall ports are not open on the server. Ensure that the proper ports are open to enable the client to connect to the Windows Deployment Services server.

4.    The answer policy is not configured correctly. For example, the server is not configured to answer clients, or it is configured to answer only known clients and the client is not prestaged. To fix this, reconfigure the policy. For example, run WDSUTIL /set-server /AnswerClients:all.

5.    The computer is marked as approved in the Auto-Add database, but a computer account representing the computer does not exist in Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS).

6.    The computer is marked as rejected in the Auto-Add database. After a computer has been marked as rejected, it will not be able to network boot. You can clear the entry in the Auto-Add database by deleting all pending computer records by running WDSUTIL /delete-AutoAddDevices /DeviceType:RejectedDevices.

7.    Client boot requests are not getting routed correctly to the Windows Deployment Services server.

8.    DHCP and Windows Deployment Services are running on the same physical computer, but the server is not configured appropriately.

WDS will not require the user to press F12 and immediately begins a network boot if you use PXEboot.n12 as the Network Boot Program. For detailed information, please refer to the following article:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732351(WS.10).aspx

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

• Marked as answer by Tim QuanModerator Monday, May 31, 2010 1:37 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by JawsABK Tuesday, June 01, 2010 11:59 AM
    Friday, May 28, 2010 5:58 AM
  • Hey Tim.

I went thru the list above to pinpoint the problem, i have checked everything except the routeing. The funny thing is when i type in the delete autoadddevices i get the error:

Error Code: 0xC1050102 

Error Description: No Auto Add Devices matched the specified critteria.

?

(WDS Error log: 

An error occurred while trying to delete devices from the Auto Add database. 

Error Information: 0xC1050102)

We hooked up the problem child again today (HP Compaq nc8430 laptop)

The PXE boot it is using is HP Base Code PXE-2.1 v1.0.4

Today it says: "PXE-E53 No pxe boot file received", i think we are just gonna place it somewhere safe and jam 10 bullets into it and move on, we have tryed everything i feels like but still no luck.

Tuesday, June 01, 2010 7:52 AM
  • We made a last try today, and we found out something pretty helpfull. We smacked a new computer on to the network, pushed F12 and connected, installed and finished the computer, worked like a charm the first time. THEN! We wanted to install another image on the computer, my colleague logged on to the AD DS server, went to "Active Directory Computers and Users" found the computer, marked it and pushed "Delete". Now.. the same thing happens like the others, the WDS server wont communicate with the computer and he have done the exact same thing with the 3 other computers. Its like the AD/WDS is ignoreing it now. How do we undo that? Is there a command to wipe the deleted AD computers of som sort?
    Tuesday, June 01, 2010 11:11 AM
  • I found the problem.

run WDSUTIL /delete-AutoAddDevices /devicetype:approveddevices

Or! stop WDS service and delete all the files in $/RemoteInstall/mgmt/

Start the service (WDS will make the files again)

The problem is a AD DS replication error. The "ESEtmp" should be automatically deletede every 24 hours but somehow it isn´t.

• Marked as answer by JawsABK Tuesday, June 01, 2010 11:59 AM
    Tuesday, June 01, 2010 11:59 AM