NTFS security settings replication within DFS links? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone,

I have two servers, one at our corporate office and one at our manufacturing plant in Mexico, that have been set up with DFS so provide replication of documents needed at both sites.  These files are used between the engineers and machine operators and need to be used regularly.

The DFS setup is mesh and the files have replicated with no prolem.

I have noticed that the Security settings that I have changed on the folders here (at HQ) have not replicated to the Mexico server.  The elapsed time has been approximately 72 hours which should be adequate for replication purposes even considering that the amount of data is in the 25-27GB range...

My question is whether there is some other step which I need to take in order to push the settings down the line or should I give it more time?

Respectfully,

Otaku Lord

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 2:49 PM

Answers

• Hi Otaku,

NTFS permission should be replicated automatically. See following FAQ:

Does DFS Replication replicate NTFS file permissions, alternate data streams, hard links, and reparse points?

DFS Replication replicates NTFS file permissions and alternate data streams, but not NTFS hard links or reparse points. For more information about NTFS, see the NTFS Technical Reference (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=73996).

Does DFS Replication replicate updated permissions on a file or folder?

Yes. DFS Replication replicates permission changes for files and folders. Only the part of the file associated with the Access Control List (ACL) is replicated, although DFS Replication must still read the entire file into the staging area.

Note

Changing ACLs on a large number of files can have an impact on replication performance. However, when using RDC, the amount of data transferred is proportionate to the size of the ACLs, not the size of the entire file. The amount of disk traffic is still proportional to the size of the files because the files must be read to and from the staging folder.

If the permission is still not replicated, please test if replication still working. You can try to create a file for the testing.

Monday, May 10, 2010 6:13 AM