none
0xC1900101 - 0x20017 The installation failed in the Safe_OS Phase with an error during Boot Operation. Upgrade from Windows Server 2012 to Windows Server 2019. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I've been trying to upgrade my Windows Server 2012 to Windows Server 2019 with the following error code:

0xC1900101 - 0x20017 The installation failed in the Safe_OS Phase with an error during Boot Operation.

The motherboard is Supermicro MBD-X11SSM-F-O .

I've upgrade the drivers to the latest update. Also contacted Supermicro and they stated it's a Microsoft issue.

Removed Virus scanner from PC.

Installed from ISO file and bootable USB drive.

Also tried installing Windows Server 2016 with the same error message.

The hard drive is not encrypted.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wednesday, January 15, 2020 1:16 PM

Answers

All replies

• An in-place upgrade is never recommended, better option is to clean install from installation media, patch fully then migrate the roles or applications over to it. You can check the logs for more details here. (please do not post logs in forums)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/928901/log-files-that-are-created-when-you-upgrade-to-a-new-version-of-window

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, January 15, 2020 1:42 PM
  • Hi,

Since you have done the troubleshooting while the issue remains.

As Dave said, I suggest to back up your important data and execute a clean install for Sever 2019, next migrate data and features.

Best Regards,

Farena

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 16, 2020 7:12 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful.

If the reply helped you, please remember to mark it as an answer.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 20, 2020 7:53 AM
  • That worked.

Going to be a painfull process through. I have two the servers that the exact same. Have to move all software and roles to one server the do a fresh install.

Thanks for the help.

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 12:52 PM
  • Sounds good, you're welcome.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 1:48 PM