none
Printer driver is not installed on this computer 2008 R2 error after installing relevant driver

Question

• I have a re-occurring problem where I try to install native Microsoft drivers on my servers because the HP universal drivers are not performing as planned. 

When I select the relevant driver through Windows Update it seems to install fine and then when I go the properties of the printer after the install I get the following error 

The "HP LaserJet 8150 PS' printer driver is not installed on this computer. Some printer properties will not be accessible unless you install the printer driver. Do you want to install the driver now?

I select yes select the correct driver again and get the same issue. This happens with multiple printer models and drivers.

When the client tries to install the printer from the web page it cannot find the driver as a result.

The print server is a 2008 R2 server and clients are XP SP3.

Monday, February 7, 2011 4:54 AM

Answers

• The HP driver on Windows Update has a bug when converting the device mode of the existing HP driver into a format that the HP driver from Windows Update can understand.  There are several posts in this forum related to manually or scripting the invalid entry for HPTrayCount which HP creates, then later reads which the driver interprets and reports back to you that it is not installed.
    Alan Morris Windows Printing Team
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 5:52 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for the post.

I am wondering if the driver can be installed well when trying to manually download it from the HP official website.

As we need more information for analysis, please take the time to collect the MPSReport on Windows Server 2008 R2.

1. Download proper MPS Report tool from the website below.

Microsoft Product Support Reports
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=CEBF3C7C-7CA5-408F-88B7-F9C79B7306C0&displaylang=en

2. Double-click to run it, if requirement is not met, please follow the wizard to download and install them. After that, click Next, when the "Select the diagnostics you want to run" page appears, select "General", “Internet and Networking”, “Business Networks”, “Server Components”, click Next.

3. After collecting all log files, choose "Save the results", choose a folder to save <Computername>MPSReports.cab file.

For your convenience, I have created a workspace for you.  You can upload the information files to the following link.  (Please choose "Send Files to Microsoft")

Workspace URL: (https://sftasia.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=9e9a4945-dc58-4cf2-8d78-bd10e3730dea)
    Password: 52#gYfNe1Uq

Note: Due to differences in text formatting with various email clients, the workspace link above may appear to be broken.  Please be sure to include all text between '(' and ')' when typing or copying the workspace link into your browser.

Thanks,

Miles

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 1:38 AM
  • The HP driver on Windows Update has a bug when converting the device mode of the existing HP driver into a format that the HP driver from Windows Update can understand.  There are several posts in this forum related to manually or scripting the invalid entry for HPTrayCount which HP creates, then later reads which the driver interprets and reports back to you that it is not installed.
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 5:52 AM
    Answerer
  • We are still seeing this issue now... does Microsoft plan on ever fixing this bug? I've tried the "HPTrayCount" registry fix and we still have the same issue.
    Tuesday, April 24, 2012 1:14 PM
  • There is nothing Microsoft can change in HP software code base.  I've asked that we pull the print drivers from Windows Update but that is not happening.  Do as HP suggests, add the printer with the new driver rather than updating an existing printer to their newer software.  Or go with my suggestion since adding 100+ printers to replace the existing ones is a pain.

HP also has some software at hp.com that will perform the same incorrect devmode conversions.

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 4:35 PM
    Answerer
  • Do you know what that software is called? I'm looking on their site and nothing is jumping out at me.
    Tuesday, May 15, 2012 5:06 PM
  • I was refering to some of the other HP print drivers that have the same behavior available on their website. 

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 2:34 AM
    Answerer
  • Ah, I mis-read that. Sounded like you were saying HP had some software that would correct the "incorrect devmode conversions."
    Monday, May 21, 2012 5:33 PM