none
Master Browser - MRxSmb event ID 8003 problem

Question

• Hello,

I have a problem which you’ve probably heard a lot of – master browser – I keep getting error – MRxSmb event ID 8003. Before deciding to ask for any ideas I spent day googling and trying to solve it. What I did:

1. I switched the computer browser service on PC which “belived that it was the master browser” but few minutes after I get the same error but from another PC (random).

2. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Browser\Parameters\IsDomainMaster to TRUE – no joy – still getting the same error.

3. Restarted DC.

4. Additional info: there are 3 subnets in our network, WINS server (running on DC), there are many laptops machines (so wireless and Ethernet cards..).

No joy – I keep getting the same errors in DC log. I used browstat:

1. browstat.exe status:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Status for domain UTT on transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{ED0EF83B-C300-450C-9DE1-

83F51F365392}

Browsing is active on domain.

Master browser name is: UTT-DC1

Master browser is running build 3790

3 backup servers retrieved from master UTT-DC1

\\UTT-FS0

\\UTT-DC1

\\UTT-FS04

There are 148 servers in domain UTT on transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{ED0EF8

3B-C300-450C-9DE1-83F51F365392}

There are 1 domains in domain UTT on transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{ED0EF83B

-C300-450C-9DE1-83F51F365392}

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The backup servers seems to be changing quite often – I don’t know if it should be like that.

2. What worries me if I use command “browstat status \\UTT-DC1” I do not get a response:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

C:\>Browstat.exe status \\UTT-DC1

Status for domain \\utt-dc1 on transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{ED0EF83B-C300-450C-

9DE1-83F51F365392}

Browsing is NOT active on domain.

Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus.

Any ideas what shall I do? I’ve read that I can use GP to switch off Computer Browser service on all PC. Shall I go for this option? What happens if there is no computer on different subnetwork with Computer Browser running – will I still be able to use all PCs in My Network Places?

Sorry for such a long post but I wanted to put as many details as possible.

Thank you for your help.

Marcin.

Wednesday, July 1, 2009 9:45 AM

Answers

• hi there,

computer browser / populating the computers in network neighborhood should be done automatically , please do not tweak any registry such as changing isdomainmaster .

what i suspect is that there is additional server that wants to participate in the election .

can you switch off the computer browser service and check

a) if you get any error related to computer browser / mrxsmb.

b) if there is a functionality change.

Few Points

a) if you have multiple subnets participating in elections , make sure routers are not forwarding UDP broadcasts

b) try disabling and enablign the NIC

c) make sure you are not running multihomed DC

I would like you to go through the link which is a troubleshooting guide for computer browser relative errors.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/188305

sainath !analyze
    • Marked as answer by marcin00w Friday, July 3, 2009 8:16 AM
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 1:06 PM
  • Hello,

I solved the issue. That was caused by UDP broadcast on port 137 and 138. Helpful link: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/190930

On CISCO routers:

no ip forward-protocol udp netbios-ns
    no ip forward-protocol udp netbios-dgm

Thanks for you help.

Marcin.
    Friday, July 3, 2009 8:16 AM

All replies

• hi there,

computer browser / populating the computers in network neighborhood should be done automatically , please do not tweak any registry such as changing isdomainmaster .

what i suspect is that there is additional server that wants to participate in the election .

can you switch off the computer browser service and check

a) if you get any error related to computer browser / mrxsmb.

b) if there is a functionality change.

Few Points

a) if you have multiple subnets participating in elections , make sure routers are not forwarding UDP broadcasts

b) try disabling and enablign the NIC

c) make sure you are not running multihomed DC

I would like you to go through the link which is a troubleshooting guide for computer browser relative errors.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/188305

sainath !analyze
    • Marked as answer by marcin00w Friday, July 3, 2009 8:16 AM
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 1:06 PM
  • Hi,

thanks for your guides. The problem is that I switched off the computer browser on the PC which claimed to be master browser but few minutes after
    another machine took it place and again I am getting errors. I have not noticed any functionality change after switching the cb service off.

Few Points:
    a) I am pretty sure that we do not forward UDP - but I will double check - we did not this problem in the past so there is small possibility that it's caused by that.
    b) I rebooted the DC - shouldn't it be enough? I can try that. Do you mean NIC on the DC or on the PC which causes problems?
    c) DC has two NIC but only one connected to the network - just in case I switched off the second NIC. - no joy.

d) could you please explain this:

C:\>Browstat.exe status \\UTT-DC1

Status for domain \\utt-dc1 on transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{ED0EF83B-C300-450C-

9DE1-83F51F365392}

Browsing is NOT active on domain.

Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus.

Why I do not get answer from DC1 using this command but everything is fine if I type browstat status UTT - and get response that DC1 is master browser for the domain.

I had a look at 188305 yesterday but I will try to follow it again. Maybe I missed sth.

Thanks.

Marcin.

Wednesday, July 1, 2009 3:51 PM
  • Hello,

I solved the issue. That was caused by UDP broadcast on port 137 and 138. Helpful link: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/190930

On CISCO routers:

no ip forward-protocol udp netbios-ns
    no ip forward-protocol udp netbios-dgm

Thanks for you help.

Marcin.
    Friday, July 3, 2009 8:16 AM