none
ADMT - intraforest migration walk-through RRS feed

• Question

• Hello
    I am planing an intra-forest migration. (creating additional DCs in Parent domain and migrate child domain on them, then decommission the child domain)
    There are plenty of routines on the Internet and I am kind of confused. for example about "Upgrading source Global groups to Universal" I need to know is it a must or just a recommendation? finally I need a straightforward step-by-step for my scenario.
    thanks in advance
    Thursday, May 2, 2019 6:53 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

Global group is a group that can be used in its own domain, in member servers and in workstations of the domain, and in trusting domains. In all those locations, you can give a global group rights and permissions and the global group can become a member of local groups. However, a global group can contain user accounts that are only from its own domain.

Universal group is a security or distribution group that contains users, groups, and computers from any domain in its forest as members. You can give universal security groups rights and permissions on resources in any domain in the forest.

Global to universal. This conversion is allowed only if the group that you want to change is not a member of another global scope group. For more information, please refer to the article.

For your scenario, please refer to the following link which may help:

https://www.itprotoday.com/mobile-management-and-security/migrate-ad-users-child-domain-parent-domain-using-admt-v32

Note: This is a third-party link and we do not have any guarantees on this website. This is just for your convenience. And Microsoft does not make any guarantees about the content.

Best regards,

Hurry

Please remember to mark the reply as an answer if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, May 3, 2019 6:24 AM
  • Hello dear

Thanks for your reply

You have defined group types and their difrences and conversion rules but didnt mention exactly what I need. I need to know this conversion in migration process is a must or just a recommendation? In the link you gave me its showing just migration the users. Its not talking about other resources, various group types migration, computers and member servers or applications like exchnage and ... I need an explained process please. Thanks in advnace

Saturday, May 4, 2019 4:39 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your feedback.

According to your own requirements, it is a recommendation. 

Please refer to the following link which may help:

https://www.starwindsoftware.com/blog/intraforest-migration-in-windows-server-2016-with-active-directory-migration-tool-admt-3-2

Note: This is a third-party link and we do not have any guarantees on this website. This is just for your convenience. And Microsoft does not make any guarantees about the content.

Best regards,

Hurry

Please remember to mark the reply as an answer if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by Ghasem Shams Monday, May 6, 2019 12:13 PM
    Sunday, May 5, 2019 12:49 PM